Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Olympus

• Warranty6 Months
    Product ID20816120
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • IBM Microdrive
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Shoulder Strap • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP
    Image Sensor TypeCCD
    Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600 • 3200
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB • FireWire
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 12 Sec.
    Flash TypeExternal
    Camera TypeSLR/Professional
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Frames Per Second3 Frames
    Compression TypeJPEG • TIFF • Raw Image
    File Size (High Res.)10 MB (13 images on 128MB card)
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2560 x 1920 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960 • 1024 x 768
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Flash FunctionsAuto Flash • Rear Sync Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    File Size (Low Res.)0.1 MB (about 1,280 images on 128MB card)

The world's first 100% all-digital interchangeable lens camera
  • Sensor: 5.5 megapixel 4/3-type Full Frame Transfer CCD
  • Max resolution: 2560 x 1920 pixels
  • File types: RAW, TIFF, JPEG, including RAW + JPEG Recording
  • Exposure: Program w. Program Shift, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, P, w. exposure compensation, exposure lock, and exposure bracketing
  • Sensitivity: Auto ISO 100-400/Manual ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, Expandable to 1600/3200
  • Synch speed: 1/180 Sec. Super FP (FP) up to 1/4000 Sec. for fill flash with FL 50 flash
  • Max capture rate: 3.0 fps for 12 frames
  • White balance: Auto, presets, custom, w. white balance compensation and bracketing
  • Color space: sRGB, AdobeRGB
  • Storage media:
  • Splash Proof Design to resist moisture and dust
  • Compact Flash Type I and II, Micro Drive
  • Interface: USB 1.1, 2.0, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)

Submitted by Bernard Bonte a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    - build like a tank
    - very high resolution even with only 5MP
    - bright viewfinder
    - AF can combined with manual focus
    - moderately heavy
    - don't need software to download files, just plug in the camera to the computer and that's it
    - nice Bokeh with the 14-54mm

Weaknesses:    - only 5MP although
    - large compared my OM camera
    - viewfinder half the size of my OM cameras

Bottom Line:
    In combination with the Zuiko 14-54mm MkI great combo. An Olympus zuiko addict since more than 25 years starting with the OM camera
    I had already digital experience with the Canon G7

Purchased At:   e bay

Similar Products Used:   OM 1, OM2n, OM2sp, Canon G7, Bronica EC TL

Submitted by zuikoku a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Strengths:    * Rugged body
    * Weathersealed
    * 150K shutter MTBF
    * Color Fideliy like film characteristic !

Weaknesses:    * Slow response (Compare to Nikon/Canon)
    * Noise for long expsure more than 5 sec

Bottom Line:
    The cheapest pro D-SLR on market now.
    Even only having 5 MP resolution, but the results are amazing !

Purchased At:   Cameta

Similar Products Used:   EOS 30D

Submitted by Marc2B4 a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Strengths:    Build Quality, it's extremely rugged and durable, dust reduction/elimination, well thought out system components, (HLD-2), FL-36, PRICE!!!!! For the cost of my original E-1 purchase(2K), this is what I got: E-1, 14-54 f2.8, 40-150 f4.0, FL-36 Flash, 3 512 MB CF cards, HLD-2 Verticle Grip/PowerSupply, BLL-1 Battery,tripod, LowePro bag. Now lets compare that to the Nikon D-200 for 2K, body, 18-70 Lens, 1 512 MB CF card. True, you get a 10 MP CCD with the Nikon, but I've taken files from the D1X out to 30 x40 and the D1X had a 5.47 MP CCD; same size as the Olympus. After spending a week with the E-1 shooting locally, I went out and spent another 679.00 on another body as a backup. For under 3K, I have a system I can depend on with a backup body. Can't do that with a D200. In terms of bang for the buck, IMHO Olympus wins in a landslide. Zuiko lenses are extremely sharp edge to edge and color saturation is great. Coupled with the FL-36 flash, exposure is dead on. As an experiment, I pulled out the old reliable, the Vivitar 285HV, set the camera manually, and shot around the house. Dead on again. The more I shoot with this camera the more I like it and can feel it becoming an extension of my mind.

Weaknesses:    Focusing seems slow indoors or in lowlight situations compared to the D2X or D1X.

Bottom Line:
    The E-1 is built like a tank; HLD-2 is a "must" have if you've got large hands.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Nikon D2X, D1X, D1,5700, Kodak DCS 420, DCS 200

Submitted by praxed a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2006

Strengths:    100% Viewfinder
    Dust cleaninng system
    Solid body, professional quality.
    Excellent ergonomics
    PRICE
    Quiet shutter
    4/3 ratio (like my Pentax 6X7)
    Excellent zoom

Weaknesses:    Slow AF (only three sensors)
    Small LCD screen compare to last digital cameras

Bottom Line:
    Why buying the E1 when I couldget for the same price a newer DSLR with higher resolution? Basically after thinking about my needs I realised that my DSLR won't replace my Pentax 6X7, it must be complementary.
    Previously I used a Pentax 35mm SLR (LX) in addition to my medium format camera, for enlargement up to 20x30cm, for larger picture I used the 6X7. Thus 5MP is not an issue at all, up to 30x45 the resolution is high enough.
    Another important criteria was the viewfinder, the E1 with 100% is perfect for me (I'm wearing glasses), then the dust issue was also a big concern. I did not want to spend time cleaning the sensor like too many DSLR users. Thus the Olympus dust free system was again the right solution.
    Of course ergonomic was important too and the E1 fit perfectly my hand, all button are intuitive and I do not need to look at the body to find the right button.
    Another interesting part in the kit was the 14-54mm lens which is based on picutres I've made the perfect all around lens. Good colors, sharp and consistant in all the range from wide to tele. And quite luminous for a zoom.
    Other lens I've just bought is the 35mm macro with goes to 1:1, more plastic and less solid than the Pro 14-54 zoom but for the price it's good enough (Around 250euros) AF is slow but for macro under good lighting it's not a big deal.
    I do not regret at all this purchase, I think I'll keep for a long time, knowing that for large print I'll use my 6x7.

Purchased At:   Ebay professional se

Similar Products Used:   None first DSLR.

Submitted by SpeedoLight a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2005

Strengths:    Magnificent colour, I love the saturation controls which cover the normal range then an additional series which boost nicely either the Reds, Blues, Greens or a softer red boost for portrait work. Even the cheap lenses 14-45 and 45 - 150 are very sharp! I frequently print from these little 5MP images to A3 with no problems at all.
    * The weatherproofing seals...I was out in snow and rain 2 days ago it was so wet and the camera was SOAKED, must admit I was aprehensive as it is pretty new to me , but it never missed a beat!! It is showerproof not soak proof!
    Regardless of pixel limit pictures print beautifully; and take far less manipulation in a photoeditor than other cameras I have owned and used. Exposure with a (FL-36) flash is ALWAYS perfect. I cannot get it to overexpose! Normal exposure is the best I have had except for OM-4. Tonal balance is very good.Lenses. Colour, Feel, Balance, Build Quality. CCD self dust cleaning.

Weaknesses:    Though no longer a Pixel Hunter sometimes a few more would be nice for cropping.
    Bit noisier than others at high iso.

Bottom Line:
    Paid $999.00 N.Z.
    E-1 is a 4/3 image size SLR camera from Olympus. Uses dedicated lenses which are large for the size of the sensor..so less vignetting than other designs. This is a very solid, comfortable and forgiving DSLR to use. It has some bad press around i.e. noise levels but I have no problem with the noise. Another critizism was with jaggies(in diagonal lines), i find if i develop the raws in C1 LE or Adobe Raw (Elements3) then yes they can be a bit of a problem, but use the supplied (though lacking features) Olympus Viewer and jaggies are not a problem at all. You can assign functions to dials and generally it is very customisable to how you want it to work.

Purchased At:   TradeMe.co.nz