Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Olympus

Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens28 - 84 mm
    Digital ZoomWithout Digital Zoom
    Focal Length14 - 42 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 3200 x 2400 • 2560 x 1920 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960 • 1024 x 768 • 4032 x 3024
    Aperture Rangef3.5/f5.6 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed1/4000 - 2 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Frames Per Second4 Frames
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • CompactFlash Card Type II • xD Picture Card
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal • Uncompressed • Basic
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image • DPOF 1.1 • EXIF • DCF
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 800 • 3200
    Flash TypeBuilt-In & External
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync • Manual
    ViewfinderOptical
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeProprietary Li-Ion
    Battery Life500 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 12 Sec.
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Family LineOlympus E
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Shoulder Strap • Driver • Battery Charger
    Release Date2009

The Olympus E-620 is a 12-megapixel Four Thirds System digital SLR with built-in image stabilization, sensor dust cleaning, and a 2.7-inch tilt-swivel LCD display. The auto focus has been upgraded from the E-520, with 7 AF points instead of 3. The E-620 also includes the Olympus Art Filters and Multi Exposure features that were introduced with the E-30 DSLR.

Submitted by Marc2B4 a Professional

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2010

Strengths:    Focusing Speed, Viewfinder, Build Quality, Olympus Optics, Size, highly recommend buying the HLD-5 and extra BLM-1 batteries.

Weaknesses:    Complexity of menus for for novice users

Bottom Line:
I've been shooting the 620 w/ HLD-5 for about a year now. It's a nice little camera that does an admirable job. Not as instinctive as the E-1 in terms of ergonomics, but pleasant. If you have no experience with digital cameras it'll take you a while to get used to the different menus and settings, so take the time to thoroughly read the manual. Experiment, try different settings, get out and shoot with it. A big improvement is the focusing speed, additional focusing points. That was the biggest hang up for me coming from a Nikon D1x to the E-1. Once you get used to how the camera behaves in different shooting situations, it does the job. With the in-camera IS I've handheld down to 1/4 of a second. Impressive stuff. Don't allow the complexity, bells and whistles, or cost of Olympus lenses to put you off. This is a wonderful camera body that makes a fantastic addition to anybody already shooting Olympus. For first time DSLR buyers, read the manual and remember to shoot, shoot, shoot!

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Entire Nikon digital line through D2x, Olympus E-1, Kodak Professional DCS camera systems. Sinar View Cameras, Hasselblad System, Bronica ETRS, SQ system, Mimiya RZ, RB system, Contax 35mm system, Canon 35mm system, Nikon 35mm system

Submitted by farizm a Beginner

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    Small size with awesome features. (Pocketable in large jackets with 25mm pancake equiipped)

Light weight for long hours photography.

Swivel LCD helps in various shooting positions.

Built in image stabilizer, no worries on shaky hands.

Easy to use pop art features without editting photos in computer

Noisy photos at high ISO works well with monotone photos.

Weaknesses:    Only have 7 AF points.

Noisy at high ISO.

Bottom Line:
Well what can I say, this is my first DSLR camera and what's best of choosing E620 is its an all in one device. The small factor is definitely a strong point here compared to other beginners DSLR( canon 1000d and nikon d40).

Plus, the image stabilizer fitted in this camera works wonderfully in low light and when using fast shutter speed. Although a bit noisy at ISO 1000 and above.

The live view and the swivel LCD is amazing. With these features I can shot certain angles without using the live view.

The weight is also weightless for a dslr camera. Long hours of hanging it on the neck would not be a problem.

Purchased At:   Fotokem Malaysia

Submitted by swintonphoto a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2009

Strengths:    Compact size, improved high ISO capabilities over previous generations of Olympus cameras, no high ISO banding that was seen on a few previous generations, swivel screen, improved viewfinder, improved auto-focus system, more auto-focus points, optional battery grip, ease of use, incredible dynamic range at ISO 200, excellent color renditions when shooting jpg, optimal jpg output very easy, raw files packed with information, wireless flash capability, fast write speeds, fabulous dust reduction system, excellent image stabilization, compatible with the host of razor sharp Olympus Zuiko lenses.

Weaknesses:    If you don't like compact cameras, then look at the E-30. It has nearly the same feature set but will meet the needs of those that don't want a compact, light camera. The autofocus system responds a bit differently than what was in previous generation Olympus DSLR's, so that took me a bit of getting use to, but after I learned it's tricks it far surpasses what has been in previous generations.
There really are not many weaknesses with this camera. I just absolutely love it.

Bottom Line:
I bought this camera the day it hit the shelves. I have been an avid Olympus user for years because I have really come to appreciate the innovation of their cameras, the benefits of the 4x3 dimensions of images, and the compact size. Carrying heavy cameras and lenses for 10 hours at a wedding gets to be pretty tedious. The E-620 solves that for me while still providing the necessary professional aspects I have come to expect from cameras. With the battery grip on, this camera is the perfect balance of size and heft for me.
I feel very comfortable carrying this little gem around all day at my shoots. It is powerful, looks and feels professional, and makes fantastic images. I have always been the type that can't wait for the next camera body to come out so I can upgrade. However, I plan on wearing this little beauty out first. I have honestly never loved a camera so much since using my Hasselblad when I shot film years ago.
The power of this camera is worth more that twice its price. I can't believe how much I can do with this camera for its price point. Many professionals pay significantly more for their DSLRs. Honestly, the output I get from the E-620 can compete with the best of them.
I also want to comment on the excellent jpgs that come from this camera. While I have always been a fan of shooting raw, I have learned to refine my shooting even more (similar to how we all use to do it in the film days) so that I can shoot jpg more and the image is great coming right out of the camera. During busy wedding season I often don't have the time necessary to spend countless hours processing the raw files. As a result I have come to appreciate the fabulous jpg engine in this camera. The colors have a great balance of contrast, dynamic range, color saturation, and accurate color balance. This allows me to spend more time shooting and less time processing when times are busy.
Another amazing feature is the wireless flash capability. I take a bunch of Olympus flashes with me to my shoots. I can put them on light stands all over and they sync with the camera allowing me to truly control the light.
Olympus, you really hit a home run with this camera.

Purchased At:   samys.com

Similar Products Used:   -Olympus E-500, E-510, E-3
-Canon 30D, 40D, Digital rebel
-Nikon D50, D80, D200
Compared to all of these, the E-620 is an easy winner for me.

Submitted by ronschi a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    size (tiny for slr) - weight (what weight?) - ease of use (simple or complex, it's up to you) - lenses (both kit) - price (esp ukdigital) - but mainly my ability to get 'sharp' pictures that 'pop' even at very slow shutter speeds. A vast range of camera setting options - ability to use wireless remote (extra but cheap) - flip out and swivel (ooo - excuse me!) live view lcd screen, fantastic - as near to the beloved OM1 as dslrs have yet managed - image stabilisation (IS in camera so works for all lenses) - 2 second delay option (use it when you really are pushing the hand held slow shutter speed) - and more and more . . .

I believe these assets are what most photographers use most of the time. The weaknesses mentioned below are really only relevant for serious pros who need their cameras to do everything and without breaking, day or night or photographers whose interests are very specific. It's not a camera for all photographers but it certainly is for most.

Weaknesses:    noise above 800 ISO - focus speed (sometimes) - viewfinder could be bigger - software is rubbish (this is a problem as it's the only way to process raw files from e-620 at the moment. This will of course change over time) - possibly other weaknesses but I haven't met them yet.

Bottom Line:
Here's the review I wrote for Amazon:

I LOVE IT.

I have been using this camera for a month and have grown to like it more and more. I have been using a canon 20D and have found it heavy, cumbersome and I have been having great difficulty getting sharp pictures. The e-620 is the opposite. Small, light, and sharp pictures even at relatively slow speeds (thanks to the built in Image Stabilisation - it works!). I appreciate some people like heavy cameras and some don't. If you don't, then get this camera. You'll love it too. The two kit lenses are probably the best kit lenses you'll likely find and together they cover the 35mm equivalent of 28mm - 300mm. This camera is as easy to use as anyone could wish and as complex and comprehensive as your photographer's heart could desire. The swivel live view is FANTASTIC. Can't be all good? Well I suppose not, but the only slight negative, depending on your photo requirements, is noise at higher speeds. 800 iso and above noise becomes more intrusive. Below this it's not a problem. For most people this will not be a problem and I believe it is a small price to pay for all the benefits of which there are a huge amount. I could gush on and on but I guess by now you might realise I LOVE IT!

Purchased At:   UKDIGITAL

Similar Products Used:   Canon 20D - it's a brick, noisy, clunky and weighs too much.