Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Canon

Canon EOS 650 35mm SLRs

4.4/5 (35 Reviews)

Canon's first EOS camera had the latest technologies including a super microcomputer and a Canon-developed BASIS sensor for high-precision AF. The EOS 650 boasted incomparable autofocusing. Each EF lens has its own optimum built-in motor for autofocusing, and only electronic signals are exchanged between the lens and camera body. It is an ideal AF system.

Submitted by Richard Keeling a Expert

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2014

Strengths:    Solid, simple, reliable, compatible with all EOS EF lenses, no IR film counter (important for high sensitivity infrared film).

Weaknesses:    Single point autofocus point can hunt a bit. Maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 limiting. No exposure bracketing function.

Bottom Line:
I bought the EOS 650 partly out of curiosity, partly because it can be found very cheaply these days, and partly because it lacks an infrared film frame counter, less important these days as true high sensitivity infrared film is no longer being manufactured. I knew it would be vastly less well-featured than my current Canon EOS 5D Mark III, what I did not expect was how much fun it is to shoot with a camera that is so simple to use. All you really need to take excellent pictures is here, and it is refreshing not to be dealing with menu options and features galore, most of which never get used. It's a solid and relatively heavy camera, reassuring in its build quality and easy to hold and use. The viewfinder is clear and large, uncluttered with the digital readout that occupies modern digital cameras, so you concentrate more on what you are seeing and less on numbers. The only really important information, aperture and shutter speed is there, plus a focus lock and a measure of over or underexposure. What more do you need? Operation is swift and the film advance quick. The top LCD gives you frame number, plus focus mode, battery level, mode of operation, shutter speed, and aperture - again all you really need for a film camera. The camera has a single centered focus point, seemingly hopelessly out-of-dare to someone used to dealing with modern multi-point autofocus, but in truth it serves perfectly well, especially if you are used to manual focus through a focusing prism (such you find on Contax SLRs). The simplicity this camera offers is really its greatest pleasure - obviously, with a film camera, image quality depends primarily on the lens and film used. Despite owning more sophisticated Canon film bodies, such as the excellent Elan 7E, I find myself loading and using the 650 and getting good numbers of excellent shots.

Purchased At:   KEH

Similar Products Used:   Canon EOS Elan 7E

Submitted by hazelinlondon a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2011

Strengths:    Clarity of pictures
Solid, quality componentry
Reliable - I've never had to get it repaired

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Hypersensitive auto-focus sometimes

Bottom Line:
I bought the 650 second hand from a friend 11 years ago for GBP 25.00. It was fabulous - took great clear pictures; I loved the comforting sound of the componentry when I clicked - it told me it was quality. I used it for some years then lent it to my niece who also enjoyed using it, mastering photography to a greater level than I.

I am now planning to take up photography again and more seriously and will keep my very first 'serious' camera as my back-up. I'll upgrade to a more recent Canon

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   None since, but hooked on Canon since first experience

Submitted by mymymary a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Strengths:    easy to learn and use (good manuals)
sturdy, real metal and glass optics
tried and true - dependably great images!
The priority System and easy film loading
Fun; enough features to keep me happy; encourged me to try different things

Weaknesses:    Bulky, heavy, large bag needed to hold all. My shoulder gets sore.

Bottom Line:
I bought the camera with Canon 35-70 and 70-210 lenses, also with a Speedlite 300EZ flash when it first came out ($$$- I don't remember how much). I have used it extensively for 19 years. The cost spread out over the years makes it a bargain. It has needed only occassional minor repairs.
I have chronicled our family history - through kids and grandkids - vacations, sports, portraits, "artsy" shots. It taught me how to photograph.
The slides and pictures have always been dependably great. Pictures showing motion and depth of field tinkering are my favorites. I play with other cameras from time to time (belonging to friends and family), but I prefer the EOS package. It may lack some modern features and characteristics; but it has never been enough to tear me away for long. We take my husbands Nikon digital for pocket convience, but ...
I think that anyone wanting 35mm SLR definiton, would do well to purchase one, you won't be disappointed. I think todays beginners might not overlook the "outdated" bulk and heft. But anyone with knowlege will appreciate it.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Similar Products Used:   mulltiple cameras through the years, but I still come back.

Submitted by Christiano a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    strong easy to use simple tech heavy sturdy cams cheap

Weaknesses:    some but few

Bottom Line:
Wauw what a wonderfull little strong camera.Its a true workhorse and i use it as a back up for a back up,and skipped my EOS 5 and used EOS 100(my favorite)and this pearl instead.
I used it recently for an assignment in italy(Sirolo)with a 70-200 lens and 24-85 using Agfa Slide films and Fuji put on Manfrotto tripods.The results is very good and im very satiesfied because the alternatives would be the EOS -1 or 5,which is soo heavy.
Fortunately i took this with me and in short; get this or the other ones 630 ,620 and you will be absolutely surprised how good the Canon EOS650 still are.!

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   eos 100,eos 5,eos 620,eos 1000,eos 10 and more ..

Submitted by martij17 a Beginner

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    heavy, big, durable
easy to use but profi function too

Weaknesses:    sometimes slow autofocus, with some third party flashes doesn't work OK

Bottom Line:
I bought it in second hand, but it was like never used, the batery was original!I like it weight, with 300mm zoom i don't use a tripod!The autofocus is a little bit slow, but for me its OK, i don't take pfotos of fast animal.
I made own batery pack, its 2,8Ah capacity,conected with cable in batery grip.

Purchased At:   second hand