Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Canon

Canon EOS Rebel 2000/EOS 300 35mm SLRs

4.45/5 (220 Reviews)

• Lens MountCanon EF
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Film Type35mm
    Zoom LensWith Zoom Lens
    Battery Type2 x 3V Lithium Battery (CR-2)
    Focus TypeAutofocus • Manual Focus
    Viewfinder Frame Coverage90 %
    Viewfinder Magnification0.7X
    Weight11.84 oz.
    UPC082966103179

Canon's tradition for improving its product line with advanced imaging technology has never been more evident than with its newest generation of the world's best selling 35mm SLR camera, the EOS Rebel. The EOS Rebel 2000 is Canon's newest entry-level 35mm SLR camera, featuring a variety of enhancements at an attractive price. Sporting an elegant new exterior design, the sleek EOS Rebel 2000 gives photographers unprecedented creative control, including 7-point autofocus, 35-zone AE metering and a variety of other improvements. With its convenient, built-in retractable flash and 11 versatile shooting modes, the EOS Rebel 2000 lets you get great photos of vacations, sporting events, landscapes, portraits and more.

Submitted by Jamie a Casual

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    -settings
-zoom
-focus

Weaknesses:    I have not found a weakness yet.

Bottom Line:
This camera I bought used and I have been using for a while. I absolutely love this camera! It takes excellent pictures and I have never had a problem with it. I strongly suggest this camera no matter what anyone else says.

Submitted by rafalweb a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2007

Strengths:    Great auto modes
All the manual controls you need
Accurate meter
Accurate autofocus
Batteries last longer than any of us will be alive
Excellent performance with EF USM lenses
Great camera for learning, AND growing into

Weaknesses:    No aperture ring
Takes time to master the 7 point AF - be careful, you may focus on the wrong thing, and your subject may be blurry......just learn the technique

Bottom Line:
Fine camera. To all those who claim that it isn't a seroius camera, and will be outgrown quickly, I say, put a fine lens on it (I have a Canon 50/1.4 and 28-105/3.5), put high quality film in, know your composition, know your light, know your subject, and then snap a great pic. People won't be able to tell what camera you took the shot with. I've shot beautiful pics with this camera, and have shot crappy pics with more advanced cameras, so I don't buy that statement.

It has all the manual controls you need, good auto modes, and a good meter. The only thing I feel is missing from this camera is the rear aperture wheel on the Elans and up.......but that's all I'm really missing.

As for concerns about durability, if you're going to bang a camera around, buy a Holga for 15 bucks. I care for my cameras. Plus, I have dropped this one, w/o any breakage or ill effect.

I have no problem with the built in flash......I use my 28-105, keep a distance of abuot 7-10 feet from the subject, zoom in, and I get as beautiful flash shots as built-in flash can be.

Point is, it's the technique, not just the camera, that makes the great picture.

Fully and highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by jhodges a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    Good weight with BP-200
Vertical shutter release with BP-200
Easy to use
Auto and manual modes
Depth of field preview button (I wish the Elan II had that)
Good shutter response
Precise auto focus
Accurate metering

Weaknesses:    Slow motor
AI focus is not intelligent
Drive, focus, meter modes not changeable
Too small to hold without battery pack BP-200
Viewfinder dark compared to higher-end models

Bottom Line:
This was my second SLR camera. My first I got when I was much younger and too impatient for manual cameras. But my Rebel 2000 might as well have been my first. I have learned a lot from using this camera. I first got it because I wanted a decent camera for taking pictures of thunderstorms. Now, 3 years later, I'm heading toward a career in photojournalism. It was great to get started with, because of the numerous automatic modes that I relied on at first. Eventually, I wanted to figure out how photography really worked, and this camera let me do that, too. Now, I'm usually in Av or Manual.

As time went on, I played with the higher end cameras and began to envy the large wheel on the back of higher-end cameras. Actually, adjusting exposure or aperture with the button/wheel combination on the Rebel 2000 isn't a bad setup. (I don't like how the new rebels moved that button to the middle of the camera.) Another thing I found lacking eventually was the lack of control over meter, focus and drive modes. Each of those functions is linked to the exposure mode you're in. When in an auto mode, you are usually stuck with one-shot drive, matrix metering, one-shot focus modes. Even in P/Tv/Av/M you were stuck with continuous drive, AI focus and center-weighted metering, unless you press the * button. I don't mind being in continuous drive mode or center-weighted metering, but the AI focus was not very intelligent. Even with my 100mm f2 lens it would usually stop focusing on moving subjects after it acquired a focus. Worst of all, if the camera didn't think it was in focus, you couldn't release the shutter. Even these limitations had their benefits, however. I learned to manually focus relatively quickly (though usually I was sitting perpendicular to the flow of action). I did get into using the exposure lock button more.

Still, in January I bought a used Elan II and have hardly used the Rebel 2000 since. And now that I also have a 10D, I'm probably going to sell it. I've gotten too used to being in control of more of the functions of my camera. Pretty soon I'm probably going to find I can't live without mirror lock-up and leaving the leader out.

The Rebel 2000 has been handy. Last time I used it, I had the short zoom on it and my 200mm lens on my Elan II at a baseball game. The Rebel is light enough to hang from my wrist while I shoot with the Elan. It has been a good camera, but the time has come to let it go, to free another would-be photographer from automation.

Purchased At:   Good Question (gift)

Similar Products Used:   Canon Elan II, 10D
Olympus C-60
Several point-and-shoots

Submitted by SF Rebeldude a Beginner

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    Ease of use, Multiple Autofocus and Manual Functions, Number of lenses available that function perfectly with this camera. Price.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have the larger LCD Panel of Rebel Ti. Its not a digital SLR.

Bottom Line:
I bought this camera body used as a backup to my Canon EOS Rebel Ti and I have loved it ever since. I love to put Macro Lenses on both my cameras and walk thru Botanical Gardens and parks. This camera has taken razor sharp pictures from day one. All features seem to be working perfectly.

I have put together a little collection of lenses that both my Canon EOS cameras can use. Both cameras seem to work equally as well with the different lenses. Lenses used are Canon EF 28-200mm AF USM, Sigma 28-80mm AF MZM, Sigma 100-300mm AF DL, Sigma 50mm Macro AF, Sigma 105mm Macro AF and Tamrom 19-35mm Super Wide Angle AF.

I like to shoot a variety of Landscape, Macro (close up photos of flowers) and Sports (Baseball).

I eventually want to upgrade to a Canon EOS Digital. I like to post photos on Webshots, so I scan a good number of my photos. If I went Digital I would save a great deal on developing cost. I have been very pleased with Canon Products so far.

Even though I had a Canon AE 1 20 years ago, I am basically starting all over again with 35mm photography. The Rebel 2000 is a great introductory camera. I am now getting into Aperture Control and Manual Focus Options. This camera is a very worthy backup and a nice primary camera.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Canon EOS Rebel Ti, Canon AE 1 (20 years ago) Fugica (20 years ago).

Submitted by Lthlwpn1979 a Intermediate from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Many, many lenses can be used with it.
Easy to change settings.
Light, easy to carry
Depth-of-field preview button

Weaknesses:    Can't use infrared film because the infrared sensor used for film advancement causes foging (bottom part of film turns white).
CR2 batteries not everywhere, bring spares.
A cover for the flash mount wouldn't hurt

Bottom Line:
After a year of frequent use, I must say that I am very impressed with this camera. It is the first SLR I've used and I plan on keeping it for some time. To begin, the number of lenses you can use with this camera is staggering. Canon has many lenses; and other companies like Tamron, Sigma, Vivitar, Tokina, etc. make lenses with EOS mounts. There are several programed aperature and shutter speed settings and automatic settings which are adjusted by turning a knob, fairly simple and easy. The internal light metering system is very accurate. The autofocusing system is also accurate and fast. Canon's Ultra Sonic Motor lenses work great in any environment but on occasson in outdoor areas where that one twig gets in the way frequently. The depth-of-field preview button is a great feature because you can adjust the aperature size and see what will be in focus before you take the picture. It takes a little experimenting to get use to because what the viewfinder shows gets dark. The body has a sleek design and is fairly compact and light. There are several add-on flashes available on top of the built-in flash which works fine. I also found out that older flashes (such as Speedlite 199A) desinged for Canon FD cameras work with the Rebel. Canon could include a flash mount cover like many other companies. I have produces pictures of wildlife that I have been able to sell because of the cameras versatility and reliability. Canon did good with this model.
Lenses used: