Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Canon

4.65/5 (55 Reviews)

• Product ID21481057
    Weight36.32 oz.
    Shutter Speed8 - 1/2000 sec
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeManual Focus
    Lens MountCanon FD

Canon's original SLR workhorse. A rugged, manual focus professional body.

Submitted by Richard Tibor a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    Built like a tank.

Weaknesses:    Weighs as much as a tank.

Bottom Line:
Best manual focus camera ever build, period! g out and buy one now!

Similar Products Used:   Almost every other manual focus SLR ever made. The F-1 is the best.

Submitted by dgrohne a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2007

Strengths:    As other reviewers have stated, this camera is rugged; I have never needed any type of service. It is heavy; it is almost manual-everything; it is not forgiving for photographers' mistakes, but it takes the best 35 mm pictures.

Weaknesses:    For one focused more on the art of photography rather than one focused on who has the most gadgets, there are no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
The Canon F-1 was my first SLR, purchased in 1981. It has been a mainstay through 26 years of traveling through Europe and the United States, and has survived tinkering by 3 children and curious pets. I can honestly say that this camera has taught me the mechanics of photography, and that all other cameras that came after it, including the digitals, had slight disappointments in comparison to the F-1.

I use mainly the 50mm f1.4 lens, a Spiratone Portdragon portrait lens, and a Spiratone 500mm Minitel Catadioptric lens. In the past I used an 80-300 mm Vivitar zoom lens but the quality wasn't there.

Now my daughter is using the F-1 in her high school photography class. I had missed how well black and white prints from this camera came out, even the night shots on the bulb setting. Needless to say the instructor is green with envy, as I am sure this is the best camera in the class!

Purchased At:   Camera store in Illi

Similar Products Used:   Canon AL-1

Submitted by Bidi a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Strengths:    Solid, dependable, natural-feel, Interchangable vieuwfinder, focusing screen, back, winder.

Weaknesses:    Slow on sudden action, but it's an allover manual camera! And for a manual camera pretty fast.

Bottom Line:
I'm using the 2nd improved version of the old F1.
This is truly a great camera! It took me a week or 3 to get used to it. It feels so natural, and the meter works really good on my Velvia slides! No more over- or underexposure, just what I want. Really solid and heavy. Quiet shutter and mirror lock-up. And it looks really nice!
Only the batteries for the lightmeter are expensive, special mecury replacement batteries. But that says nothing about the camera itself.

Similar Products Used:   Canon A1
Canon EF
Canon AE-1
Olympus C3000Z
Praktica TL
Ricoh 35 ZF

Submitted by Lisa Peters a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any weakness's yet.

Bottom Line:
Canon F-1. Hmmm, I love my F-1. I don't know what I would do without it. It is showing signs of wear & tear but has never let me down. This camera was made for hard work. I am pretty careless when it comes to my photo equipment and it takes a beating. I have been using this camera professionally and personally for many years. A+

Purchased At:   Ken Hansen, NYC

Similar Products Used:   Canon A-1,Ae-1, and similar

Submitted by gsm18439@aol.com a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    Sharp. Steady. No vibration or shake. I routinely hand-hold shots at 1/8 of a second in natural light. Reliable. Versatile. Quality of the optics and range of lenses.

Weaknesses:    Weight - although this can be a plus when shooting without a tripod at slow shutter speeds. Some accessories are getting a little hard to find.

Bottom Line:
I received my first Canon F1 as a gift. After 30 years of hard use, it finally died. So I found an almost mint one on Ebay. I have mostly used the f1.4 lens (although the second one I bought has an f1.2 lens). I also picked up a parts camera just in case. . .

Similar Products Used:   I have not bothered with any others in the last 30 years.

Die THOMAS SABO zusammen Trendsetter F1-Fahrer zu werden

Seit März 2010 hat die [url=http://www.schmuckthomassaboshop.org/]THOMAS SABO[/url] Lifestyle-Marke geworden offizieller Sponsor des Formel 1-Fahrer Nico Rosberg (Nico Rosberg) persönlich. Die letzte Saison nähert, THOMAS SABO und Nico Rosberg (Nico Rosberg), um ihre ehrgeizigen ehrge ... Read More »

Focus issue with Rebel XTI & 85mm f1.2?

Hi guys, I'm definitely stumped on this issue that I've been noticing, but for the life of me, cannot figure out! So, I've been shooting with an 85mm for the past two months for headshots and they've been super sharp and have been extremely happy with the results. However, what I have noticed is, ... Read More »

Canon 50 F1.2 L Users?

Okay I sold my 24-70 a week ago and got the 50 F1.2 with rebate it was $50 over the 24-70. Here is the problem I NEVER used the 24-70 except for studio images. I wanted faster glass so I got it. But the 50 doesnt seem sharp even at F2 my 70-200 was sharper at 2.8. I shot about 400 files checking and ... Read More »

Nikon announce 24Mpix D3200 and 28mm f1.8

Two surprise announcements. The announcement says that the 24Mpix sensor is designed by Nikon. (People were expecting Nikon to use the 24Mpix Sony sensor but the dimensions and number of pixels are not the same) [url=http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3200/index.htm]Nikon | Imaging Products | Ni ... Read More »