Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Konica Minolta

• Depth-of-field preview
  • Self-timer

Submitted by Jay Elias a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2010

Strengths:    They never die,period nuff said.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    I own several cameras in the SRT series and I can't imagine being without them. I also own several Olympus models and a Nikon or two all of which have had various issues over the years. The only ones that have come through without fail are the SRT's. Whenever I am doing some important photography they are always the ones I turn to.

Purchased At:   ebay and private sel

Similar Products Used:   Olympus OM-1, OM-2, OM 10, Nikon FG.

Submitted by dsp a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2008

Strengths:    incredible build
    quiet (seriously!)
    mechanical
    accurate meter
    accurate focusing
    easy film loading

Weaknesses:    dimmer finder (compared to x570, an excellent finder)
    dim shutter speed scale in viewfinder
    awkward on/off switch

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the srt 202, An amazing camera! I expected the camera to feel "old" and "clunky", however it is just as fast and capable as you want it to be. The exposure meter is accurate (mine's been converted to 1.5v) as is the focusing. The viewfinder is noticeably dimmer than my x570 and this sometimes does not help in low light situations, but again, it is accurate (more important). the viewfinder has FULL information, showing shutter speed and aperture. however, the shutter speed scale is also a bit dim. I also am surprised at how quiet the camera is, no it's not a leica, but it is not any louder than my x570. in fact, it might be a bit quieter. the camera is well built and heavy and i love this about it, it feels solid in my hands. I love that it is mechanical and virtually indestructible. Flash metering is not great with my 360px, (again, x570 ttl much better) but i dont expect it to be. flash sync is mechanical too, no need to turn on the camera for flash. the on/off switch is a bit awkward but i think i will learn to get used to it. the camera is very simple and has virtually nothing to break. also, the film is easier to load than my x570. if you are looking for a tough, capable camera, look no further

Purchased At:   JT Camera

Similar Products Used:   minolta x570 (have i mentioned that yet?)
    minolta x700
    minolta x370
    canon elan 7e

Submitted by Van A a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2004

Strengths:    -Solid, mostly metal, heavy and well-made
    -Plenty of available excellent, used and reasonably priced Rokkor-X MC and MD
    lenses
    -Make all settings yourself

Weaknesses:    -Loud shutter and mirror slap. ('KA-CHUNK!' compared to a muted 'snick' on Canon EOS Elans) But that's the character of this camera.
    -Uses discontinued 1.35 mercury batteries but there are alternatives including using a hand-held meter.
    -Meter on/off switch is awkward to use.
    -Unusually long winding stroke for the advance lever

Bottom Line:
    I remember this as one of the popular cameras among high school students back in the 70's. It was clunky, large and noisy. At the time, the "in" cameras were the compact SLRs such as the Olympus OM-1/2, Canon AE-1, Nikon FM, Pentax MX/Me, etc. They made the SRT's look so archaic.

I picked up a used SRT-201 w/50mm lens about 10 years ago for nostalgia. I took it out the next day with a 20+ year old Rokkor-X 24mm lens after snowing the night before to give it a test run. I loaded it with 100 ISO color film and headed out to a nearby nature center for some snow scene pictures.

A couple of days later, I got the pics back and surprise, surprise, the lab wanted to enlarge a couple to put up on their customer gallery. One photo was blown up to 11x14. The exposure was right on and the edge to edge sharpness was amazing. (Although I used a 1.5 instead of the 1.35 mercury battery the exposures were fine due to the color negative film).
    This is a no frills, do everything yourself, built like a tank camera. Like all older manual mechanical cameras, you are in control of every aspect before you click the shutter. It is a joy to use.

Purchased At:   Wolf Camera

Similar Products Used:   Nikkormat FT3, Nikon FM/FM2, Olympus OM-1

Submitted by Axle a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to use for an all manual. I was able to pick it up, and within fifteen minutes knew how to work it.

Weaknesses:    Weight, it's heavy, and for quick shots you'll need to have everything pre-set in anticipation.

Bottom Line:
    My first SLR camera, I found it at a garage sale where the last owner had upgraded to a digital camera and gave it to me at the above price because "I looked like I knew what I was doing" It came with three lens (one has broke since..but I have purchased a replacement zoom). Overall an excellent camera, all manual and mechanical which means if the batteries die it will still work, just no light meter.

Purchased At:   Garage Sale