Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Nikon

Nikon 4004 35mm SLRs

3.52/5 (31 Reviews)

Out-of-production low end SLR.

Submitted by sfpeter a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2011

Strengths:    Typical Nikon build quality, even though it's largely plastic it has a sturdy heft and feel.

Works with manual or AF-S lenses.

Built in speedlight flash (also a first).

Only needs 4 AA batteries.

3 segment metering.......well, it was notable for the time.

Weaknesses:    For a beginner camera it has a unique and unintuitive layout using a "Decision Master System" that is basically a shutter and aperture dial under a plastic cover. You can set it manually or leave it on automatic, but if you do you get no feedback what shutter speed/aperture it's using, just lighted +/- symbols in the viewfinder. Even the "On" switch has an interlock that is a little hard to figure out.

Generally sluggish autoocus performance, which was also typical for the time.

No advanced controls such as exposure compensation or priority modes.

Bottom Line:
This was I think about 1986 Nikon's first prosumer oriented autofocus camera; the original being an expensive F3 variation from 1983. It's an SLR and fairly basic, but if it's all you need then it'll get the job done.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   N8008
F90
Nikon FM

Submitted by william hoeveler a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've had this camera for 22 years! I went digital 10 years ago and hadn't touched it since then. I picked it up last week and began to play with it and guess what? It worked perfectly - even more amazing, the battery had a good charge and it began firing immediately! I was SO astounded that I had to write this review. Completely stunned me and if it hadn't happened to me personally, I never would have believed it.

A battery holding a charge for 10+ years?? That's something.

Purchased At:   can't remember

Submitted by dandan a Beginner

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Price
Easy to use
Won't cry if it breaks or gets stolen

Weaknesses:    DOF Preview would be nice

Bottom Line:
Very nice camera if you keep in mind what you're getting. I got mine with a bunch of lenses I wanted for my N90s. The lenses more than made up for what I paid, so the 4004s was pretty much free. All in all, I spent $60 on it to fix the film door latch, which seemed like a mistake at the time. After putting a few rolls of film through it, I couldn't have been more wrong . I prefer to use the manual focus because the AF isn't that great, but I've got no complaints. No, it doesn't have the bells and whitles that more expensive bodies have, but for the price that doesn't matter. Its a great camera for hiting the streets or going anywhere you wouldn't want to take a more expensive camera. Its not overly tough or flashy, but if you are looking for something that'll get the job done and won't break the bank you've found it. All it needs is a little love and you'll be fine.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon N90s
Pentax K1000
Pentax MX

Submitted by scruples a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    Take a good crisp shot with little to no hastle.

Weaknesses:    Is a little slow when focusing on red in low light. Finding accessories is starting to get difficult. Looking for a CF-37 cover for it now.

Bottom Line:
I bought my N4004 new 22 years ago. It's been in the shop twice. Once was the plastic hinge and the other a friend rewound the film without releasing it. I take about 2000 pictures a year, mostly cheerleaders, indoor and out, daytime and night. I love my camera and wouldn't sell it for the world. I panic everytime I think about it breaking and maybe not being able to be repaired. I have 6 lens ranging from 20mm to 400mm, all Nikon. I shoot beside digtals and the other cheer parents usually purchase mine.

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Scott Alan Johnson a Professional from Cleveland Ohio 44107

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Strengths:    Large body, well built AA bateries.

Weaknesses:    I use the Nikon f100 and if i pick up the 4004 and try to focus .. well it sure seems slow.. But it works.. The camera also is makes a bit of noise in winding, and shutter movement . the door had a plastic hitch that has busted on me once .. Got a new used door for $5

Bottom Line:
I'm thinking you looked up this camera because someone has one for sale and you want to see what others think of the Nikon n4004(f401) Well The camera is not a top level pro camera. It is a very good starter camera or even as an extra camera that works with most of my AF Nikon lenses. The camera dose what a camera dose. You set it, point and click.. For a person wanting a camera that now sells for less than $170 .. you can't go wrong with the 4004

Purchased At:   used store