Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Nikon

Nikon F4 35mm SLRs

4.65/5 (77 Reviews)

• Lens MountNikon F
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeAutofocus • Manual Focus
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/8000 sec
    Depth3 in.
    Weight45.12 oz.
    MPNNikon F4s

This was the top of the line Nikon SLR body. It was replaced by the F5.

Submitted by neorebel1 a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Simple to use for Old mechanical Pro Nikon photographers.

You can use auto focus and manual lens with rangefinding and metering as well. (They put those back in the F6 go figure, better late than never.)

Tack on while set on "P" and TTL. Perfect fill flash!

Bright viewfinder! Better than the F3.

Buy the F4s for the release button on the side! You may never think you need it until you shot so portraits!

It's buildt like a tank, you'll probably pass away before it wears out!

Weaknesses:    None with the Nkion F4s you get everything. Auto, aperature priority, shutter priority, and manual.

Bottom Line:
As a professional photographer who has shot fo Apple Computers, Hewlett-Packard, too many weddings, and many magazines, I have to say the Nikon F4 is my favorite camera to shoot with!

I used my Nikon SB 16 with the as-9 flash on it. I shoot it with ny F4s on P and TTL on the flash. (Find one with the diffuser on it they're hard to find.) This combination has been fantastic and tack on every time...no kidding here! I mean tack on for exposure EVERY TIME. Wow what a combination.

You can use all of your older non AI lens plus any of the Auto Focus lens except the VR lens...which by the way you can use a mono pod or tripod and get the same results!

The dials are easy to use IF you are used to the older professional Nikon cameras. If you are used to the point and shoot dial type just put the camera on "P" when using a dedicated Nikon flash or "PH" for all other photography.

I have never had an over or under exposed shot with this camera.

It really rocks with the Nikkor 28-85 AF (The newer model with the wide focus ring.) My Nikkor 50-300 non AI and any of my many other Nikon pro lens.

Similar Products Used:   All Nikon manual , auto focus and digital pro-cameras

Submitted by runar wessel a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    solid built. can use all 3 meterings on old manual lenses. good looking design. enormous many lenses is possible to put on this camera

Weaknesses:    ?? nothing to say.

Bottom Line:
a solid good kamera. thats it! it is possible to buy a good exemplar,at low prize. autofocus is more than fast enough.with basic photoknowledge,it is easy to use. i have good landscapephotos with this camera.(i bought it for landscape,but i take good portraits too with f-4.)

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   nikon fe,olympus om.

Submitted by framer a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've owned this body for 5-6 years. It got me started back using 35mm from MF. I'm now using D2h and D2X but have keep the F4 as backup and use it when I need that WA shot. I have no plans to retire it anytime soon. It's the one camera that I can wear if you know what I mean.

The one dumb thing I did was sell off the MB-20 grip and I want to buy another.

These camera are truly underrated. It's a tank.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   F2 sold when I got the F4 no regrets.

Submitted by Narsuitus a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    1. Well-built, heavy-duty, high-quality body
2. Seems to be durable and dependable
3. Woks well with my inventory of older Nikon lenses (from 18mm to 1000mm)
4. Provides good balance with heavy telephoto lenses
5. Works well with auto focus or manual focus lenses
6. Uses same motor drive cable connection for Quantum Radio Slave II as F2
7. Very quiet built-in motor drive
8. Reasonably priced (purchased on eBay for $325 in 2005)
9. Auto and manual exposure feature
29. PC electronic flash connection
30. Uses same motor drive cable release as F2
31. 1/250 second top flash sync shutter speed
32. Quiet operation when compared to my motorized F2
33. Rail system for interchangeable viewfinder is more secure than F2 latch system
34. Accurate focusing is easy with electronic focusing aid
35. User interface not far removed from F2
36. No buttons located at the right thumb position

Weaknesses:    1. Unable to vary the amount of time viewfinder turns itself off due to inactivity
2. While slightly pressing shutter release button to activate built-in light meter, it is too easy to accidentally press shutter release too hard and waste a shot.
3. Large size and heavy weight (however, smaller and lighter than F2 with motor)
4. Not an inconspicuous camera
5. Auto focus is too slow for fast action (but I don’t shot a lot of fast action)
6. Camera will not operate without battery power
7. Standard cable shutter release connects to camera in an unusual location
8. Unable to change viewfinder shutter speed increments from 1/2 stop increments to 1/3 stop increments or to full stop increments
9. Unable to change f/stop increments from 1/2 stop increments to 1/3 stop increments or to full stop increments.
10. No provision to store camera with an un-cocked shutter
11. Cannot use bulk film loaded in Nikon F2 AM-1 film cassettes
12. Cannot use F2 view screens
13. Unlike my F2, I am unable to reduce the size and weight of the camera by removing the motor drive and battery pack
14. Does not have the classic motor drive sound of my F2
15. With my right thumb, I can sometimes feel the vibrations of the film moving while holding the camera in my right hand
16. Difficult to manually focus using standard B screen (had to replace with a screen that had a split-image focusing aid)
17. Center of standard B screen darkens when shooting macrophotography
18. Inability to change size of auto focus area
19. Inability to change the location of the auto focus area
20. Continuous Silent Speed (CS) setting is not silent. It would be more accurate if it were labeled “Continuous Slow Speed” because all it really does is lower the firing rate to 1 frame per second

Bottom Line:
As a lover of manual/mechanical cameras, I was seriously considering the FM3a as a backup to my three aging F2 bodies (I have been using one since 1971). However, I changed my mind when I discovered that the price of film cameras had dropped so low that I could purchase a used F4 body in excellent condition for a little over $300 compared to the price of $500 for a new FM3a.

The strongest feature for me is that, like my F2, the F4 can handle every manual-focus, auto-focus, AI, pre-AI, and preset lens in my inventory.

Even though some people complain about the size and weight of the F4, I was surprised when I compared the weight of the F4 body with its built-in motor drive and add on battery pack to my F2 body with add on motor drive and battery pack. Even though the F4 felt heavier, it was actually lighter by 12 ounces.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon F, F2, F3, EM, N70
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic
Miranda Sensorex

Submitted by Claudio a Casual

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2005

Strengths:    Trusty, trustworthy, reliable, easy to use, ever ready, strong, high quality: made with the best materials.

Weaknesses:    Quite heavy.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Nikon F3HP two months ago. It was heavily used: it is from a rental shop. Maybe it has made thousands of rolls, it misses all the caps and it is badly scratched. I bought it because I'm always afraid to bring my best (conditions) camera, a Nikon F 801, in "dangerous" situations like beaches, tours for monuments in Rome, mountains and so on...
I was very wondering about its real performances: it was an old design and old project camera, with years of hard use on its neck, but it was cheap, very cheap.
The seller told me it was broken, because the shutter didn't work... It had a bad dent near the charging lever: the charging lever didn't work. 75 US$ for the body. 25US$ for the MD4...
I tried to charge the camera... it really didn't work. But maybe my technician could repair it, I told to myself. The prism was ok.... Let's buy it. Just after mounted the MD4 it started to work perfectly, with the MD4 shooting button. Shooted three rolls, the images were perfect with all my lens: AF, AI, AIS!!! In every conditions and situations results were PERFECT!
I tried to dismount the MD and... the body was perfectly working, once again, like it was new!! No problem at all! I had no time to bring it to my technician! It has became my favorite camera: a real workhorse, everywhere present and ever ready at my side. The F3 Balances very well with the MD-4 attached. I've left it permanently: I've big hands so it fit much better in my hand. Now I use only it...! My F801 will be sold, I think... i've never used a F4 or a F5, but I cannot image they're could beat the F3 in its own field: strenght and reliability. Maybe they could have much more frills, but the F3HP is the best Nikon camera, I think.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Nikon F, F2, F 801, F801s.

Nikon F4 - how to replace the shutter

Have a fully working [URL="http://digitalhotdeal.com/index.php/en/news/Camera-Photo-Video/"]Nikon F4s[/URL]... but just destroyed its shutter curtain! Have also an older F4s whose shutter I can use to repair the first camera. How do I remove / install the shutter unit?Read More »

D7000 and 24-120mm f4 lens

Is there anyone here who has the d7000 and the 24-120mm f4 lens, and if so, would appreciate some feedback.Read More »

F4 cameras are all over the place!!!!

If you want a really really nice film camera, which I'm not sure I do but I couldn't pass up the chance to try it, eBay is [i]loaded[/i] with Nikon F4 bodies under 400, sometimes under 300 bucks! (There are F5s, too, for not much more.) OK, I got one for $155!!! As far as I can tell so far, it ... Read More »

Sell Canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM

Detail Len - Canon 100-300mm has a filter Marumi UV 58mm - Lens without fungus and dim - it has Canon front cover and back cover Price 300$ (total shipping costs for EMS) [COLOR="Red"]for Thailand[/COLOR]Read More »

Sigma 300mm f4

I recently bought a Sigma 300MM f4 Prime. [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwhite214/5917066409/][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6147/5917066409_36d211cd07_z.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwhite214/5917066409/]DSC00681[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/pwhite2 ... Read More »