Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Nikon

Nikon FG 35mm SLRs

4.55/5 (20 Reviews)

• Lens MountNikon F
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeManual Focus
    Shutter Speed1 - 1/1000 sec
    Weight17.28 oz.

• Exposure: Programmed AE, Aperture-priority AE & Manual exposure
  • Manual focus
  • TTL flash control
  • Out-of-production - released in 1982

Submitted by alfie marsh a Casual

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2011

Strengths:    its damn sexy!!!!

Weaknesses:    weakness is not an issue here it has none

Bottom Line:
    just been given one of the noir fg's its in imaculate condition, gotta say it reminded me of when i was youger and had zeniths and canon cameras ,not in a bad way i hasten to add it felt sturdy and reliable ,well balanced and not too difficult to get to grips with. i have just started to collect older cameras instead of the rediculasly overpriced dslrs that are on the market.

Submitted by Mathew a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Strengths:    accurate metering, large selection of lenses, dependable, solid construction, small size and ease of use.

Weaknesses:    none for me

Bottom Line:
    My first FG was a used noir I purchased in 1997 and used it for travel, etc. I loved the ease of use, dependability and size. I sadly sold it in 2000 in a rush to digital however after a couple different DSLRs I have come full circle and purchased another FG through ebay. I love it. My 16 year old daughter has an interest in photography so I purchased her one as well. It really is a great camera. Metering is dead on. Very dependable. Large selection of lenses available. It has given me back my love of photography, there is nothing like film and this small but solid camera makes it very easy to enjoy.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Sigma SD10, DP1

Submitted by Ramde ociragal a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2008

Strengths:    Small and compact, can used it all weather from cold to hot seasons.

Weaknesses:    I dont know any coz i only exposed 20 rolls for this camera. How long will the shutter last? or the curtain fails?

Bottom Line:
    A gift from my dad during my college days back in 87. Black noir Nikon FG with 35-105 macro lens and sb 15 flash. Used it for a thesis proj and couple of mountain trips. All i can say it never fails an all wheather small slr. even the battery is out i can use the manual setting at m90.
    I seldom use it during those years maybe around 20 rolls of film only up to now. Now i still love the handling compare with dslr. if you can see my FG still like new all the controls are like new even the strap in full yellow and the lens look like never been touch.from the shutter and the curtain the stainless coatings are all intact.. I love this camera being a part of my own history, scanned all the images i took with this camera.
    I can sell my dslr but never this one. I still use it once in awhile using a velvia 50.
    Not a pro level camera then, but a first nikon try with program mode, very simple, manual and just a 2- Lr44 ?battery is all you need.
    Everytime i look at my Old FG. it feels like back in 87 again coz looks like new even the passed sticker on top of the hot shoe it's still there. and all the screws are still the original. These one is for keeps.

Purchased At:   KSA

Submitted by Neiljohn a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, capable with reasonable manual speed control, accurate meter that can be read easily in low light, able to use most Nikon lenses and a good range of other makers Nikon fit too.

Weaknesses:    None, though DoF would have been nice (the FTN's have it) its not too much of an issue.

Bottom Line:
    Having bought MY first Nikons (Nikkormat FTN's) in the 70's I bought a couple of EM's in the 80's as lighter carry faster handling snappers, the EM's getting limited use for the last 10 years, the FTN's none at all. Then last year we had a major fire at work, £125M, and having to work alongside the demolition team I started carrying a compact digital to gather data. Compling the photo files for the insurance claims I found some of my shots I'd taken with the EM's of what we did in the labs, and having started taking LOTS of photo's a day again I felt the need to look at my kit again. The FTN's are still good, but HEAVY, and the lenses likewise, the EM's too limited, lets look for something between them: FG!
    Now I've used F2/F3/Mamiya TLR/'Blads and thought long and hard about digital slrs, but a small film slr still seems to suit ME for MY own use best.
    The first FG I got was an almost mint chrome body, I fitted an FA "E" focusing screen (I like the grid and lack of split prism for some duties) and an MDE I already had, great results from word go, the older EM I was using as back-up started playing up (years of motorcycling with it in a pannier have taken its toll). So I went after a second body, this time a black FG, with some of the black polished off on the corners under the straps (Brassing?, more like resin-ing), this will be my main day to day body, with the better EM as back-up. The chrome FG will be kept for other things where the screen is of benefit, the failing EM as a flash/M90 only use expendable with old damaged/cheap lenses bought for perpose off e-bay, no point in wrecking good ones (motorcycle/cycling/4x4 carry is HARD on cameras).
    The FTN's act as final back-ups, they've been well used and though still good I don't feel carrying that weight does my back any favours. Oh and the SB15 TTL makes flash very simple too.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon EM, Nikkormat FTN. Pentax MV1.

Submitted by johnr55 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2005

Strengths:    Superlight weight, good looks, reliability, flexibility, ability to take winder/drive.

Weaknesses:    No aperture in finder, no full info in program mode, cannot use non-AI lenses (will damage camera)

Bottom Line:
    I bought my first FG in the early 80's when I still had an F2AS. This little body felt like a store dummy compared to that F2! I fell in love with its light weight and ergonomics. At the time it was a drawback that I couldn't use any non-AI lenses (I still had a few). My biggest gripe at the time was lack of aperture in the VF, which I was used to. I got over that. Even though I also had an F3 I found I used the little FG more and more when I wanted something small and light. It would just happen to be the Nikon I carried with me. I found the metering spot-on, never used the compensation button. I bought the little winder that it shared with the EM and it was still relatively light. It truly was the perfect second body. I sold it in the late 80's along with the other Nikon equipment when I switched to Leica-R. However, a few years ago I bought a mint used one and fell in love with it all over again! A few AI lenses and I had another perfect little traveling outfit. I just used it for a two-week trip to California on business, took a dozen rolls of slide film and every exposure returned perfect. It's quiet, attractive, and an attention-getter in this age of slick molded bodies. I've since bought two other FG bodies and will be keeping them this time. Incidentally, should opportunity arise, don't overlook the FG-20 either. It's the same basic camera, only without program (which I don't use) and with a meter needle instead of LED's (battery lasts longer).

Purchased At:   NYC