Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Nikon

Nikon FM 35mm SLRs

MSRP : $0

Released in 1977. Out-of-production.

Submitted by jamie mcatee a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    It's an easy to use camera, and only a real photagrpher from the past knows how ell this camera works.......It puts the art back into taking beautiful pictures.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I wish all of the so called photographers using the new model camera's to just try using this FM, oh wait a minute, you may need to read the manuel it does take FILM, which is still readely available and so is the proccessing. LOVE THIS CAMERA

Submitted by sfpeter a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Strengths:    If you've been able to handle one manual film camera you can pretty much do them all.

Near perfect fit and finish, light and easy on the film advance. Nikon knew what they were doing and made it to last. Even the faux leather covering is still on tight after 34 years; can't say the same about the F5.

Simple light meter, that's all. Encourages you to focus on what you're taking a picture of rather than figuring the camera out.

The A.I. tab folds back if you use a pre-A.I. lens, and it will still meter with it.

Works without batteries if it has to. Many of these older cameras that were shutter or aperture priority will lock the film advance if the battery is dead, and make someone unfamiliar think it's rusted/corroded up inside.

Weaknesses:    Film is dead, dealt with it. 35mm will still be available for years to come, but to try and pretend there's something secret about film that only the true professional still knows is silly.

Light seals are something to check on a camera of this age.

Slow 1/1000th max shutter speed, to get automatic advance requires a motor drive.

Light meter is 3 diodes, that indicate too bright, too dark, or just right. If it's partly there then it's dark and okay lit or bright and okay light. An EV scale would have been better, but I can't complain.

Needs the lever pulled out slightly to turn the meter on. That's not intuitive for new users.

Bottom Line:
It's tempting to think of the FM as the archtype Nikon, since the last manual film Nikon today is the FM10; but it's not. The FM10 isn't even made by Nikon, it's made by Cosina, and the FM mainly stood out for introducing aperture indexing (A.I.) The true archtype is the Nikon F; this is a solid, well built, old school film camera that taken care of will last for many years.

Purchased At:   Ebay!

Similar Products Used:   Canon AE-1
Pentax MXE Super

Submitted by Mark Stephan a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005

Strengths:    Small, light weight and easy to use. All controls are intuitive and are right where they should be. Add a motordrive and you'll use your camera and take great pictures until film is gone.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Black Nikon FM body with MD-11 and 50 f1.4 in good used condition in 2001 and have used it as a back up to it's sibling, the FM2N ever since. If I could rate a camera a perfect 10 it would be the Nikon FM and its siblings. The camera is reliable, easy to use and delivers many years of photographic enjoyment. A perfect camera for the student, beginner or even a seasoned photographer looking for simplicity.

Purchased At:   Camera Castle

Similar Products Used:   Own and regularly use a Nikon FM and F3HP manual focus bodies.

Submitted by jasonbye a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2004

Strengths:    Rugged and Reliable. Nothing electronic to fail. Will still work in the pouring rain! D*mn good lump for hitting people with!

Weaknesses:    Viewfinder could be brighter and the screen is difficult to clean unlike the later fm2 which was removable.

Bottom Line:
This was the fist pro camera I bought. Has seen me through college. Has been my favorite camera through my time at the Independent in London and still a favorite now. Simple and reliable. To see some of the images shot with this camera go to http://www.jasonbye.com

Later models will flash sync at 1/250 although the shutter dial is still marked at 1/125.

Purchased At:   Philips Cameras, Nor

Similar Products Used:   F3,F4,FM2,D1,D100

Submitted by Akit67 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2004

Strengths:    Compact
Simple to use (adjust shutter speed, aperture ring and focus)
Rugged
Reliable

Weaknesses:    Slowish flash sync speed (1/125)
Top shutter speed only 1/1000
Viewfinder does not have much eye relief

Bottom Line:
This was the first SLR I bought (after using an old Zenit which I had inherited) for myself. I have had no regrets. The camera is portable, easy to use, reliable and rugged. I find myself throwing it on the car seat or my backpack without much forethought since it's compact and not too valuable.

I later bought the F3HP and while I admire the heavier build, aperture priority, mirror lock-up, and nicer viewfinder, I find I usually grab the FM when I want a camera but the expressed purpose of my trip or destination is not photography.

I have looked at replacing both cameras with the new FM3A but I find the FM3A for me has neither the simplicity of the FM nor the greater feature set of the F3HP.

And incidentally, I really like the match diode metering system despite the criticism it sometimes receives. Very quick and intuitive to read.

Purchased At:   Ebay