Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Nikon

Nikon N2000 35mm SLRs

4.53/5 (38 Reviews)

• Lens MountNikon F
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeManual Focus
    Shutter Speed1 - 1/2000 sec
    Product ID21915883

Out-of-production 35mm SLR body.

Submitted by MULBERRRYSTBUTCH a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to learn ...you really just have to put the dail on A automatic and focus and hit the shutter release button! Everything other owners say is correct.

Weaknesses:    No automatic rewind but that isn't a problem...old school camera.

Bottom Line:
Was given this camera nikon n2000 as a christmas gift xmas 1985. Really owes me nothing...got my monies worth thru d years. Experiencing a bit of trouble now shutter advance is sometimes very slow and because of that the picture doesn't come out. It most likely time to bring it to the shop for repairs. Because of the quality of the pictures and the pleasure I've recieved from the camera... I just bought the same model thru ebay.. I'm now experiencing some of the same problem, switched the battery houseing from one to the other! Time will tell. The camera makes you look and feel like a pro! I been asked that already.

Purchased At:   bamberger Edison nj

Submitted by Eric a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2008

Strengths:    Durable. Made in Japan. The right lens allows this lens to do just about what any other old Nikon SLR does.
Mine has been knocked around and has NEVER given any trouble.

Weaknesses:    No AF. Mine didn't have a data back.

Bottom Line:
Received new for Christmas in 1986. Loaded with fearures but no autofocus. Built in power winder provides just over 3 fps. One of the first to support DX coded film, speeds up to 1/2000, exposure compensation, program and manual modes.
Accepts AA or AAA batteries! And lasts a very long time on them.
Never gave me trouble.

Purchased At:   Asheville Ritz Camer

Similar Products Used:   Pentax K1000, new Nikon D60

Submitted by Televiser a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    price, speed
lightmeter
body design
cheap battery source

Weaknesses:    tripod connection is way over on the left hand side
no aperture view in finder
no DOF preview
no multi-exposure
10 sec self-timer

Bottom Line:
Nikon cameras have always impressed me regarding their design and innovations. I purchased this N2000, or F301 (first manufactured in 1985), with a standard Nikon Lens Series E 50mm 1:1:8 nearly eight years ago and it has continued to serve me well. The focus, color, speed, and lightmeter are excellent. It takes high quailty shots. But I hate the location of the tripod connection. This was my first manual SLR with auto film winding, of which I am a fan. In my use, the film has never wound incorrectly. I continue to use this model as my walk-around manual camera and highly recommend it to those looking for a reliable and inexpensive SLR.

Purchased At:   Cash Converters Pawn

Similar Products Used:   F80
FM2

Submitted by dennis mong a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Strengths:    Durable
Uses inexpensive alkaline batteries
Easy loading
Comfortable to hold
Dependable

Weaknesses:
Has no dof preview feature
Has no mirror lock-up

I missed these features at first but found that I miss them less all the time.

Bottom Line:
After having owned nearly every model Nikon from F2 Photomic through FE not to mention several RF's [ond one terrible plastic n55] I've landed on the N2000 and it has served me well for 12 years with no problems whatever. It is much tougher than I expected and has bellss and whistles, program modes etc. that I've never used...I use it strictly in manual mode. The only auto features I take advantage of are auto adbvance [singly or continuous] and auto dx reading.
It takes all of my Nikkor lenses.and provides shutter speeds from B through 2000.
It lacks some of the features of the old Nikon bodies but serves me very well. I've considered buying another n2000. Great little camera. There is absolutely no difference in images I've taken with this 2000 and imagesI've taken with my other Nikon's. Of course there wouldn't be because I'm using the same ai lenses.
Today I carry only the N2000 and an old 1972 Canon rangefinder that is too small to leave home alone.
I recommend the n2000!

Canon
minolta

Submitted by jcp123 a Casual

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Takes film!, durable, reliable, excellent quality both of the camera itself and the photos it takes, is even good looking

Weaknesses:    Not the most beginner-friendly, takes some practice to work it properly, question mark about parts availability

Bottom Line:
My parents bought this camera in the year of my birth, 1985, when it first came out. They took it on many trips to Europe and captured most of our photographic memories on this machine. Then, this little gem was bequeathed to me after I wanted another REAL camera, a 35mm. I'm not very high on the most modern technology, digital "cameras" among them, so it was a joy to again get a 35mm in my hands.

As just a casual photographer, the number of options, switches, and dials on the camera was a little bit bewildering, especially now lacking the manual, but having practiced with it a little, it is very pleasant to use. The quality of the shots is beyond reproach even today.

The camera's quality is also exceptional. Although made of plastic - one of my least favorite materials for anything - it has proven itself immensely durable. As previously mentioned, it traveled well, and took thousands of pictures, and then subsequently sat for 10 years before I picked it up. Aside from some corrosion on the battery terminals which I cleaned off with my own homebrew cleaning solution, it fired right up and still takes beautiful pictures. It also has a nice heft to it, helping to keep it steady and imparting a solid, quality feel to the camera.

Purchased At:   Parents

N2000

Hi.. This is my retired N2000 with a VERY retired 43-86mm lens... C/C wtd. [IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c41/EastCoastHucker/DSC_2845.jpg[/IMG]Read More »