Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Nikon

Nikon N50/F50 35mm SLRs

MSRP : $0

• Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeAutofocus • Manual Focus
    Focus LockWith Focus Lock
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/2000 sec
    Weight20 oz.
    MPNNikon N50

Submitted by stric a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Simple to use, robust and strong. It can be found very cheap on eBay.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy compared to equivalaent contemporary models, sometimes a bit noisy and it seems that it's a bit prone do damage as it ages. It's not so resistant to cold weather, but very few auto-focus SLRs are.

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a nice auto-focus 35mm camera. I bought mine about 8 years ago. I've used it A LOT. It's simple to use and often other people learn to use it very quickly as well. With this camera I quickly learned to appreciate photography. It comes with all basic features found on many SRLs of today. It's not so fancy as the latest models, and back in 1996 when i bought it it was a quite impressive entry level auto-focus SLR.
Last year however, it miraculously died on me. error message appeared on display screen. Nikon USA cleaned, lubricated and repaired it and I had a warranty on Nikon's work, but just a few weeks ago, after the warranty expired the camera died again - just dead, no signal, nothing works. I must point out that I do take good care of my cameras and the second time it died I was very angry.

Purchased At:   a photography shop

Similar Products Used:   Nikon N55/N65, several EoSs, Voigtlaender Bessa R2...

Submitted by Jonboy2312 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    Definitely the build quality and materials used. Strong metal frame, very, very robust, much like the pro models. This is definitely the best thing about this camers, that makes it so much better for me than supposedly "comparable" models from other brands. Lots of creative control is also a big plus.

Weaknesses:    I see only two... The worst one is total inability to use the internal lightmeter (and thus, all programs) with any lenses but the D and G ones. This means I have to use a hand-held lightmeter whenever I use a 1000mm mirror lens or any of those excellent Russian Nikon-mount lenses originally made for Kiev cameras...
The other flaw is lack of any kind of DOF preview.

Bottom Line:
Although many people tend to look down on this camera, I dare to disagree. Basically one's opinion depends on what use he or she has for the camera. What I needed was a sturdy camera that's built like a tank, able to withstand some rough abuse, bad weather, etc. I have previously been using a soviet-made Zenit Automat. A delightful camera, in my opinion, but I needed autofocus for those wildlife shots. After brosing through dozens of lousy all-plastic Canons and minoltas, I've finally found this beauty. It's almost exactly what I needed... But, I'll go into details in the other fields of this review.

Purchased At:   Used camera store

Similar Products Used:   Pentax SF7

Submitted by Chi Minh Ho a Expert from HoChiMinh City

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    Reliable, quality built

Weaknesses:    Cannot be used with other Nikon lenses, excepted D type

Bottom Line:
This camera is a gem. The functions are intuitively easy to use. It took me about 10 minutes to know how to use it. Though the AF is a little bit noisy, the pictures are excellent. Those who looked down on this camera must check the lens they used. The quality of the pictures depends mostly on the lens and the photographer.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon EOS 3, Minolta maxxum 800

Submitted by Duthika Cyril a Beginner from Houston, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I enjoyed having this camera as a beginer photographer. It was worth the prise. I'm thrilled experimenting with that.

Purchased At:   owner