Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Nikon

Nikon N70 35mm SLRs

4.22/5 (180 Reviews)

• Lens MountNikon F
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeAutofocus • Manual Focus
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/4000 sec
    Weight20.64 oz.
    MPNnkn70

Submitted by Javid a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Solid well made body, which is also light enough to carry easily.
Balances big zooms well (my 80-200mm f/4 AIS handles well mounted on the N70)
Very soft shutter release sound for discreet, quiet shooting.
Will provide center and spot metering with manual ais lenses.
Electronic rangefinder/focusing aid when using manual focus.
5 segment 3D matrix balanced flash like the later N 75 and N 80 when using D lenses.
AF-S lenses will work.
Built-in flash.
Crazy low price these days.

Weaknesses:    No matrix metering with MF AIS lenses. However same is true for the F100. If you have the N75 or N80 or even the D70/D70s, the meter will simply not work!

No DOF preview. I almost never use it anyway.

G lenses will only work in Program or shutter priority auto.

No high speed synch flash.

Bottom Line:
The N70/F70 has received criticism due to its graphic interface. In my opinion the interface is quite good, just by looking at the oft condemned 'fan' shaped display you can immediately know what settings have been applied. It also has the 'quick recall' function, which allows you to program a set of custom fuctions. I use this to instantly change the settings when I switch my AF to MF lenses without wasting any time. Example: when I mount a MF lens I need to change matrix metering to center weighted, and switch Program to Aperture priority. These settings are saved as Quick recall #2 setting, and I just select this.
The prices have dropped to a crazy rock bottom, and if you need a highly capable film camera, this is it.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Nikon N75
Nikon N80
Nikon N2020 (F501)

Submitted by Elkmeister a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Strengths:    Solid
Very inexpensive for the functions.

Weaknesses:    No DOF
Feels a bit dainty if you have large hands
The function screen can be hard to read

Bottom Line:
I purchased this camera over 5 years ago despite quite a few negative reviews and articles at the time. Glad I did. I feel it is a very underrated camera. I also own an N90 and keep the two loaded with different film speeds. As to the difficulty with the controls and interfaces on the N70- if you can operate a kitchen range and the microwave one after the other you can handle it. It is not that difficult folks. Yea you might have to actually spend an hour or two reading the manual-so what. I don't even have to think about which camera body I am using.

As I jump between the N90 and the N70 the main difference I note is the more solid feel of the N90 but this is pure personal preferance. The N70 lacks a DOF which can be a pain but that is the only real functional difference that bothers me. I have tested both side by side and you would need to be a major anal retentive to find any differences. I have not detected any consistent tendency to hunt with longer lenses. It will hunt on occasion but so does the N90.

Finally, the price of these on Ebay, Keh and elsewhere has reached a ridiculous bargain level in my opinion.

Similar Products Used:   Nikon N90
Nikonos V
Minolta x-370
Zeiss (ancient)

Submitted by one2free a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2004

Strengths:    Controls are very easy to understand and use.
Very nice solid feel in the hand compared to the newer and smaller N65, 75, 80.
Meters manual focus lens for those who has them, unlike the newer N65, 75, 80.
Built-in flash is great plus for casual use.

Weaknesses:    As someone has pointed out before, some settings require two-handed operation.
LCD is not lighted.

Bottom Line:
The N70 is a very nice camera. I got the QD version which is great since for casual people pictures, it is very hard to even remember the year, let alone the month when the picture is taken when you look at it later. Some users do not like the way the controls are laid out, but I find it very easy. Anyone who uses a computer should find the N70 easy to use since it is based on the same logic by using menu-driven commands. For example, by selecting Exposure Mode in the main menu, you have narrowed the next set of available choices, which will be Programmed, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, i.e. these are the submenu within the main menu. By selecting Flash control in the main menu, you then have the submenu to choose among flash on, flash off, red eye, etc. Just like using any Microsoft Windows-based software where selecting 'File' from the main menu narrows your focus and brings you to the submenu where you can then select New, Open, Close, Save As, etc., or select 'Edit' from the main menu brings you to the submenu to choose among Copy, Paste, etc. You really do not need to memorize anything. Just make your selection from the main menu first, then make your selection from the submenu.
I gave it 5 stars especially considering anyone buying it these days as 'used' at a very attractive price.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Used FE for many years before changing to autofocus.

Submitted by Taj Deluria a Professional from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent build quality.
Dead-on-the-money metering.
Full manual control.
Auto-bracketing.
Easy manual EV compensation.

Weaknesses:    No DOF preview, which can be a hassle sometimes, but once you get to know your lenses, you rarely look for it.
Autofocus is starting to show its age.
No LCD light.
No AF-assist illuminator.
Requires an electronic cable release.

Bottom Line:
Excellent.

The body has a very well-rounded and well thought-out set of features for the price bracket of a camera. Think of it as a poor man's F90x/N90s, and a successor to the 8008. After shooting with it for six years (and several hundred rolls) now as an amatuer and occasional professional, I've still been hard pressed to justify to myself the purchase of a "better" camera.

The camera provides full manual control, so is actually a great product for beginners who wish to really be creative in their photography. When set to full-auto the thing does as advertised: take very respectable shots while you focus on composition.

Build quality is still very much up to Nikon standards. I've dropped this thing twice from a height of around 1 meter / 3 feet. I broke the SB28's foot, but the camera just glanced it off.

The built in meter (3D Matrix) is remarkably spot-on for such a "cheap" camera. I'd say around 80-90% of my good exposures would follow the cameras recommended exposure.

The body is also quite robust yet light enough to lug around all day.

The more expensive features have been omitted of course: DOF preview, Mirror lockup. Despite some reviews saying the contrary, the F70/N70 CAN be used with a cable release. The confusion sometimes stems from the fact that it does not have a provision for a mechanical release and uses what Nikon calls a three pin "electronic remote release". That's marketing for you. It does exactly the same thing.

Autofocus is decent, but in my opinion is starting to show its age. Focus sensitivity is excellent. Focusing speed can be (relatively speaking) slow with longer or heavier lenses.

Built-in flash is decent. I rarely use it if I have a speedlight nearby. Great for parties when you just want to point and shoot. The flash sits relatively close to the lens, so be ready for occasional red-eye if red-eye reduction is turned off. You'll want to do that if you want the thing to just shoot fast with no lags or delays.

The camera has no AF-assist illuminator, though. In dim conditions the AF will tend to "hunt" for the focus and sweep back and forth across the range of the lens. Having a speedlight (I use an SB28) on will resolve the issue, but it forces you to use the flash. If you're doing low-light work with natural light sources, your better off using manual focusing.

As for the interface (which so many people seem to complain about), it is easy to use IF you read the manual. However, it does require two hands to operate, and requires you to locate a blinking arrow on the LCD screen. During the day this is no real problem. However, the LCD has no backlight of any sort, and using it during the night can be a nightmare.

Working with the thing in low light conditions takes a bit of getting used to because of the last two issues. But it hasn't really stopped me from enjoying the camera or doing low light work.

Aside from those little quirks, I think I'll considering moving up in a few more years after I've maxxed out what this thing can do.

It was cheap when I got it six years ago, I can imagine how much cheaper it is now. I'm considering buying another one as backup AND THEN I'll think about saving up for an F5.

I'll give it five for value. I would have given it five stars for overall rating IF it had an LCD light and the AF assist light, which is probably the only gripe I can toss the engineers who designed the thing. Otherwise, it's a great piece of equipment.

Purchased At:   Fototech, Manila

Similar Products Used:   Nikon FM10, FE, F60D,

Submitted by David Yong a Intermediate from Kuala Lumpur

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    Fast top shutter speed, 3.7fps built-in winder, reliable metering and autofocus system, good built quality and ideal weight.

Weaknesses:    No built-in autofocus assist (infra/light beam) in low light.

Bottom Line:
After reading all the negative comments on the handling aspect of this camera, I decided to take up the challange when I spot this camera on an auction site. I won it for the above stated price together with a Sigma 28-200mm zoom!

Despite being more than 6 years old, the camera is still relatively new and working flawslessly, a testimony to the built quality of Nikon cameras.

I just need to spend some 2 hours going through the user manual and I am up and running using the camera like I had been using it for years. Frankly, I don't know what is all the fuss about the fan-shaped LCD screen. To me, its unique and beautiful.

The camera's metering is reliable and autofocus speed with the long zoom lens is good. This camera has features that are more than I ever will use but I know they will be available whenever I need them. I have no regrets buying this camera and I know it will stay with me for some time to come.

Purchased At:   An Auction Site

Similar Products Used:   Nikon F-60D, Canon EOS50E, Pentax P-30T.

Are N70 Lens compatible w/digital?

I have an old Nikon N70 camera with 2 autofocuse lenses. Are there any digital cameras that can use these?Read More »

What's a mint condition Nikon N70 worth?

I have a N70 that has maybe a dozen rolls of film through it. Comes with a Tamron 28-200 lens. What do you guys think it's worth?Read More »

F/S Nokia N series N70,N71,80,N90,N91,N92,N93

ALEX PHONE LTD 12 MIKKY ROAD LAG/NIG +2348024621569 (alexphoneltd@hotmail.com) (alexphoneltd@mail.austria.com) We have all kinds of Product. Accredited Wholesalers of PRODUCTS.Mobile Phone,Sell Phone Ipod,Laptop,Computers, DVD.TV Games Brand new gsm phones (this includes accessories-- Man ... Read More »

recomm. $150 short zoom lens for nikon n70

Hi all. I am getting a used N70 body soon and would like an inexpensive but good quality lens to go with it. Which specific lens would you recommend and where to buy? I'm taking another photography class next month and would like to get familiar with my equipment before, so any help would be greatly ... Read More »