Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Olympus

Olympus OM-2 35mm SLRs

4.5/5 (26 Reviews)

Out-of-production SLR produced in three different model-versions between 1979 and 1988.

Submitted by ditto1958 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Strengths:    Built like a work of art compared to today's plastic cameras. Feels solid and substantial, yet is still compact and lightweight for a full-featured camera. Zuiko lenses are also small and lightweight, while still built well. It is possible to have an entire range of lenses that take a 49mm filter.

Weaknesses:    Flash shoe (the one that came with the OM-2 is not cracked; however, I have others that are).

Bottom Line:
Back in 1982 I got an OM-10 for Christmas. (Couldn't afford an OM-1 or OM-2). I have an OM-1, and OM-1n and just recently acquired my OM-2n. While my OM-10 served me well over the years (I still have it--still going strong), I am extremely impressed by the beauty and quality of the OM-1 and OM-2's. Takes sharp pictures. Sound of shutter is amazing.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   OM-1n
OM-10

Submitted by Alex D a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    Obviously its ruggedness, small size, well laid out and easy to operate controls. The by today's standards still wonderful metering system of the OM-2. Vast amount of OM system lenses and accessories. THE OM-1 and OM-2 are timeless classics and made to be used, though many are now vanishing into collectors hands. Buy one today, you will not lose a penny since they are constantly appreciating in value. A mint, original OM-2n will today sell for twice the money it cost new back in the 70s. Value in ascending order: OM-1 < OM-1n < OM-2 < OM-2n with the OM-2n commanding the highest prices by a distance form the OM-2 (Don't ask about pricing for the OM-3 or 3t(i). They are almost all collectors items and way overpriced for genral use. Even OM4t(i)s are out there. OM-4s can be picked up reasonably)

Weaknesses:    GENERAL: Olympus abandoned the OM series completely in 2002. No more support here. Good Zuiko lenses are getting more expensive every day, just look at eBay and so are good OM bodies. But with the vent of eBay, all these items are available without having to hunt flea markets.
CAMERA: Worse than the light seal foam is that the prism foam degrades on almost all OMs today (they are 20+ years old!!) and in doing that it will damage the prism silvering. GET YOURS REMOVED BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! DAMAGED PRISMS CAN'T BE FIXED! The Hot shoes will crack or break eventually and intact replacements are scarce and very, very expensive to the tune that many sellers now rip the shoe of the camera and sell it individually. Flash sync at 1/60 sec is outdated and too slow for anything, as it was back then. But hey, that's all a vertical cutain shutter camera can do. Today's horizontal metal shutter cameras are much better, even my plastic Yashica FX-3 2000 syncs at 1/125 sec.
Good condition lenses cost a pretty penny. WHEW !!

Bottom Line:
These are the cameras I was longing for when I was in high school in the mid-70s. How often did I press my nose flat on the camera shop windows. But in those days all my money would buy was a Praktica LTL and a year later a Yashica FR II (Still havea Yashica FX-3 2000 today).

After all these years and because of my wife starting a photography class, I picked up a couple of OMs on eBay. An OM-2 and an OM-2n.
The OM-2(n) is often misunderstood as an electronic version of the OM-1, but that is not true. The OM-2 cameras are so much more than an OM-1. TTL/OTF metering is only available on the OM-2 and the famous TTL/OTF flash support of the T series flashes. Still to this day the OM metering system, especially the later even more advanced versions in the OM-3,4,3t(i),4t(i) cameras, were the pacesetters for all modern metering systems. The only camera of its days that may have surpassed the OM-2 metering was the Pentax LX, which copied and furthered the TTL/OTF system.
What 30 years ago and today attracts me to the OM cameras is their absolute beauty, solidity and functionality combined in one of the most compact SLR bodies ever sold. OM-1s and OM-2s are going strong and even after all these years are still serviceable for a reasonable amount by a number of expert shops. parts for these cameras are still plentiful and the camera itself is extremly rugged and will aslt if taken care of.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Yashica FR II, Praktica LTL, Yashica FX-3 2000, Nikon D70

Submitted by demperor256 a Casual

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Strengths:    Exposure Comphensation knob is easier to understand than the OM-1.
High quality contruction (Yeah! Made in Japan).
And overall performance and quality that can rival many SLR cameras today.

Weaknesses:    If my hotshoe broke (which it could easily), it would be very expensive to replace. Light seal around the camera back is falling apart after so many years, but I guess it would happen anyways.

Bottom Line:
Discovered this Olympus OM2 (original version) in my dad's storage. Originally he thought he damaged the camera (before I was even born!) and tried to get it repaired, but the idiot repairman couldn't fix it. After 18 or 19 years of storage and untouched it has been rediscovered by me. It seemed to be in perfect condition, but couldn't unlock the mirror. When I found the manual online, I read through it and in the end discovered that the main reason why my dad thought it broke and why the mirror wouldn't unlock was simiply that the battery died and the camera will automatically lock the mirror and all functions (except in B mode). After replacing the battery with a 2L76 Silver-Oxide battery (the exposure meter doesn't read accuratly with any other battery) this camera has performed very well with all the pictures I taken. My camera is equiped with a Zuiko f.1.4 50mm lense with a Skylight 1B filter. Very nice combo, for outdoor photograpy. Have to admit that this camera might be old, but it still amazes me with it's quality and flexibility. I will always appericiate and cherish this camera for as long as it lives.

Similar Products Used:   Canon Rebel 2000
Various Nikon, Canon point and shoot cameras.
Various Olympus Digital D-Series cameras.

Submitted by Roy Talbot a Professional from Puyallup, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    Smallest, strongest, light weight, full featured 35mm. Full TTL with lens and 310 auto flash. Lens that I carry with the OM2 and OM1 are interchangable and so is the 49mm filter. Shutter in auto mode takes near perfect pictures. Has manual over ride that I use when needed. Motor drive works without fail, very important in weddings.

Weaknesses:    My hot shoe never broke or cracked but I know that this is a problem.

Bottom Line:
This was the 2nd OM2 to arrive in the USA. Mine was on back order for months. Never had a problem with the camera. Shoot weddings most of the time. Like the clean lines and light weight and solid feel. All my lens take the same 49mm filter. I have an OM1 as a back up camera and it has never failed me either.

Purchased At:   Talls Camera, Seattl