Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Olympus

Olympus OM-4Ti 35mm SLRs

• Lens MountOlympus OM
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Shutter Speed120 - 1/2000 sec
    Depth2 in.
    Weight18.08 oz.
    MPN101200

The OM-4Ti combines precision controls and electronic sophistication to give you the power to create. Multi-spot and off-the-film metering, exposure memory and compatibility with various system components make the OM-4Ti a perfect choice for the serious photographer.

Submitted by Stephen Perry a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2016

Strengths:    Robust, reliable, compact, superbly engineered. Arguably the best 35mm film SLR ever made.

Weaknesses:    A minor point: the black paint is not very durable and is easily chipped (but this all adds to the "patina").

Bottom Line:
My OM4-Ti was bought for me in 1991 at a camera dealer in Lothian Road in Edinburgh when I was still a medical student. It was a very expensive camera at the time but it was a birthday present (and what a present). I had agonised for well over a year over which camera to go for, reading the photographic magazines and digesting the opinions on the best cameras of the time. I considered Pentax and Nikon but there was something about the OM-4Ti that meant I had to have it. At the time the camera shops had started to fill with plastic bodied cameras that had autofocus and LCD screens but I rejected these as shoddy rubbish that would be broken in a few years. In fact, the OM4Ti looked like a very refined but rather old-fashioned camera in 1991. I had learned the basics of film photography at my school photography club so I did not want, or need, a camera that told me what to do. Back at school we had started with pinhole cameras that we made ourselves and had then progressed to basic box cameras. We did our own developing and printing (black and white only, colour was too complicated and expensive) so I knew how to do darkroom work as well. I wanted a camera that would give me the freedom to experiment.

I have never regretted my choice of the OM-4Ti in the least. In fact, of all the purchasing decisions I have made over the years it is probably the best. The camera has travelled with me all over the world (and it has the knocks and scratches to prove it). It has been up Mount Kenya, taken pictures of slums and palaces, has been to deserts and rainforests, and has been at home in the remotest lands and in the best connected cities of the world.

It is a joy to use, compact and eminently portable. Even now there is a good choice of excellent OM (second hand) lenses.

The only problems I have had have been minor. The black paint is not very durable and is easily damaged by knocks. I have never really been upset about it because it is only cosmetic and it adds to the well-travelled history of my camera. The other problem I have had has been electrical. After about 10 years of owning the camera it seemed to start exhausting batteries very fast. I did not do this when new. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about battery life in OM4 cameras. As far as I understand it (and with the benefit of advice from my now 80+ year old Olympus camera dealer) there was a problem with the early OM4 cameras that meant they did drain batteries quite fast. This problem was corrected by an updated circuit in later OM4 models and it never happened in OM4Ti cameras. The "fix" for affected OM4 models was to leave the camera on "B" when not in use. Anyway, I digress, my OM4Ti had dirty battery contacts and a slightly loose bottom plate. Cleaning the battery contacts and tightening the screws in the base plate solved the problems completely. Batteries now last at least a year as they did before.

I would recommend this camera to anyone who wants to truly experience the best of 35mm film photography. You will be forced to think and learn as this camera will not do it all for you. Having said that, the general metering and especially the spot metering is very accurate so you can use the camera for general snaps easily. Second hand prices (at the time of writing) seem to be rising quite steeply but well-used examples are still reasonably priced considering the quality of the camera. The fact that the paint tends to be easily damaged on the black models is almost an advantage because buyers tend to be put off and the price is more attractive.

Similar Products Used:   OM 2N

Submitted by peter hind a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    The perfect camera.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
Last week at the Venice Carnival the strap broke and my om4 was shattered. In a panic I rushed in to a local dealer to buy a replacement only to be told they have stopped making them and that I would have to buy the om-d. It is full of gimmicks. The instruction book runs to 130 pages. Photography with the om4 was simple, just get the correct balance between shutter speed and f stop I do not want to tell the camera what sort of photo that I want to take, I can se that with my own eyes. Back in England I took the 10 rolls of film that I had shot on the om4 in to my local dealer for processing and told him about my disaster. He reached up and handed me an om4 and assured me it was in mint condition. I snatched his hand and left the shop as a much happier man. He guaranteed that the electronics were perfect. Years ago I was at the Venice Carnival with a brand new om4 that olympus had just and it just ate batteries. Every 5 minutes I had to buy more batteries. The electronics were faulty but olympus denied this. But they were. By the time that I bought my om4ti. Olympus had solved the problem.

Submitted by mickeyg a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
After years of wanting an OM-4 , now that I have semi-retired I can afford an OM-4, my teenage daughter has secured an OM-4Ti with data back from Sth Africa on eBay , for about $500 AUDI have owned an OM-1 which was stolen , then Igot an OM-2n which I have owned since 1983, It has never given me any trouble at all and I have got some wonderful photographs from it , I have a full range of accessories and lenses to use so hopefully I can get even better results with my long awaited OM-4 , i do also have 2 digital cameras (point & shoot) & yes with my PC printing instand photos is great , but u cant get wall sized pics from digital cameras with any quality , I think for $500 i have scored a bargain ,the OM-4ti was about 2 months pay for me when it was released. Better late than never !

Submitted by maurice a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Impeccable build, utterly reliable, robust like a mini tank.

Weaknesses:    One only: that it is out of production. Olympus, give us a digital OM!!!!

Bottom Line:
I have owned my OM4Ti for almost 20 years now. It's a wonderful camera and -- for its intended usage -- has zero defects. Olympus should have kept the OM alive and made a digital version of it, as Leica did with its M series. In fact, this is a camera that could challenge the Leica any day. Wake up Olympus!

Similar Products Used:   Nikon FM

Submitted by Nick a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Compact, Lovely design, simple and excellent handling, awsome metering functions

Weaknesses:    an off switch, however if switch to bulb... that helps. no mirror lock unless on timer

Bottom Line:
Ok its two yeas since anyone wrote about this dream camera. So here it is.
I owned one , an OM4 way back and loved it. I rang all the bells and pulled all the right whistles. I was out on awful stormy day taking shots on the moors and dropped it as I was getting back into the car...totally buggered it up, smashed the viewfinder etc. :-( I got a quote for a fix, had it repaired but then got sucked into the autofocus thing and traded for a Canon EOS. Yes i loved that camera also but.... I missed the compact design of the OM and its simple beauty. The functions were easy to use and the lenses magnificent... I progressed through many cameras all auto focus and now all digital and almost all Canon. Then I realised I wasn't spending so much time on set up therefore less self satifaction even if the results were good.
We all love new technology and what the future will bring but and this is a big but! some of us liked things just the way they were. I believe some of us prefer 'photography' as it was. I am not saying there is no skill in digital, but I defy anyone to tell me the results are as good as film in many respects.
Some of the fun has gone out of photography. Anyone can pick up a camera these days and point and shoot and get lucky.
Anyway I digress...
I now have an OM4ti and love it to bits! Still got all my other cameras but the OM is treasured above all others.
A real crime that Olympus didn't carry on what they were good at instead of trying to be clever with those awful autofocus products they produced

Purchased At:   ebay