Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Olympus

• MPN101200
    Depth2 in.
    Weight18.08 oz.
    Shutter Speed120 - 1/2000 sec
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Lens MountOlympus OM

The OM-4Ti combines precision controls and electronic sophistication to give you the power to create. Multi-spot and off-the-film metering, exposure memory and compatibility with various system components make the OM-4Ti a perfect choice for the serious photographer.

Submitted by peter hind a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    The perfect camera.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
Last week at the Venice Carnival the strap broke and my om4 was shattered. In a panic I rushed in to a local dealer to buy a replacement only to be told they have stopped making them and that I would have to buy the om-d. It is full of gimmicks. The instruction book runs to 130 pages. Photography with the om4 was simple, just get the correct balance between shutter speed and f stop I do not want to tell the camera what sort of photo that I want to take, I can se that with my own eyes. Back in England I took the 10 rolls of film that I had shot on the om4 in to my local dealer for processing and told him about my disaster. He reached up and handed me an om4 and assured me it was in mint condition. I snatched his hand and left the shop as a much happier man. He guaranteed that the electronics were perfect. Years ago I was at the Venice Carnival with a brand new om4 that olympus had just and it just ate batteries. Every 5 minutes I had to buy more batteries. The electronics were faulty but olympus denied this. But they were. By the time that I bought my om4ti. Olympus had solved the problem.

Submitted by mickeyg a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
After years of wanting an OM-4 , now that I have semi-retired I can afford an OM-4, my teenage daughter has secured an OM-4Ti with data back from Sth Africa on eBay , for about $500 AUDI have owned an OM-1 which was stolen , then Igot an OM-2n which I have owned since 1983, It has never given me any trouble at all and I have got some wonderful photographs from it , I have a full range of accessories and lenses to use so hopefully I can get even better results with my long awaited OM-4 , i do also have 2 digital cameras (point & shoot) & yes with my PC printing instand photos is great , but u cant get wall sized pics from digital cameras with any quality , I think for $500 i have scored a bargain ,the OM-4ti was about 2 months pay for me when it was released. Better late than never !

Submitted by maurice a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Impeccable build, utterly reliable, robust like a mini tank.

Weaknesses:    One only: that it is out of production. Olympus, give us a digital OM!!!!

Bottom Line:
I have owned my OM4Ti for almost 20 years now. It's a wonderful camera and -- for its intended usage -- has zero defects. Olympus should have kept the OM alive and made a digital version of it, as Leica did with its M series. In fact, this is a camera that could challenge the Leica any day. Wake up Olympus!

Similar Products Used:   Nikon FM

Submitted by Nick a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Compact, Lovely design, simple and excellent handling, awsome metering functions

Weaknesses:    an off switch, however if switch to bulb... that helps. no mirror lock unless on timer

Bottom Line:
Ok its two yeas since anyone wrote about this dream camera. So here it is.
I owned one , an OM4 way back and loved it. I rang all the bells and pulled all the right whistles. I was out on awful stormy day taking shots on the moors and dropped it as I was getting back into the car...totally buggered it up, smashed the viewfinder etc. :-( I got a quote for a fix, had it repaired but then got sucked into the autofocus thing and traded for a Canon EOS. Yes i loved that camera also but.... I missed the compact design of the OM and its simple beauty. The functions were easy to use and the lenses magnificent... I progressed through many cameras all auto focus and now all digital and almost all Canon. Then I realised I wasn't spending so much time on set up therefore less self satifaction even if the results were good.
We all love new technology and what the future will bring but and this is a big but! some of us liked things just the way they were. I believe some of us prefer 'photography' as it was. I am not saying there is no skill in digital, but I defy anyone to tell me the results are as good as film in many respects.
Some of the fun has gone out of photography. Anyone can pick up a camera these days and point and shoot and get lucky.
Anyway I digress...
I now have an OM4ti and love it to bits! Still got all my other cameras but the OM is treasured above all others.
A real crime that Olympus didn't carry on what they were good at instead of trying to be clever with those awful autofocus products they produced

Purchased At:   ebay