Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Pentax

Pentax P3/P30 35mm SLRs

4.44/5 (32 Reviews)

Autoexposure, K-mount SLR series made between 1988 and 1997. Out-of-production.

Submitted by Chuck a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Great for beginers, easy to use

Weaknesses:    maybe a little heavy

Bottom Line:
Was given as a Christmas gift probably 15yrs age. Have taken hundreds of photos,love it. Had a problem with the film advance I think it may have been operator malfunction. Am cleaning the body now to get it back in operation. I used a small koday digital at a Relay for life this past weekend VERY disapointed. Used zoomed in on the subject from great distances,the digital does not even come close. Would like to find a body if possible. Best camera on the market in my opinion. Have a bag full of lens hate to try a change now.

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Submitted by jkscmcl@sympatico.ca a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2010

Strengths:    strong
well balanced
reliable
easy to use
light weight for a camera of that era.
amazing variety of lens that can be used with the P3

Weaknesses:    the programing feature is a bit tricky, at least for me it is.
it cannot be changed over to a digital camera as I really like the style.

Bottom Line:
My first camera, bought it with my income tax return $$, even bought a large Macro lens with it.
Have owned it for 25 years now. Best investment ever made.
, and it looks just as good as it did when I purchased it.
I have taken over 4000 photos, including weddings, baby pics, portaits, family pics.wild life, drag races, races at Delaware race track, photos of the moon, stars, movie stars, music stars, and all the photos taken of the horse drawn vehicles from Bayfield Wagon & Carriage Works/Penhale Wagon. The list goes on and on.
My P3 still works amazing and I will never get rid of it, infact my kids now want it to keep and take photos as long as there is file for it.
I have many different types of lens and accessories for my P3.
Now I would like ot buy a new digital SLR, but again I want to purchase a camera that will last me for the rest of my life, yes I will buy only another Pentax.
My review can go on for many, many pages as this camera has basically grown up with me and it is now a part of myself and my family.
Thank you Pentax for an amazing camera.

Purchased At:   Cannot remember, got

Similar Products Used:   only the silly little point and shoot cameras
I swore that I would save up my money to buy a "real camera", the Pentax P3 was it, my Real Camera.

Submitted by Gemma a Casual

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic SLR Camera which helps you to choose the correct exposure and aperture, helps you to line up the lens to get great shots.

Weaknesses:    Compared to todays cameras it is a little on the heavy side and I agree with the comment made about the on/off button, i forget i turned it off to save power and miss a photo opportunity.

Bottom Line:
I was given this camera by my grandad over 4 years ago to use whilst I was studying Photography. I needed an SLR camera in able to learn and see the aperture and ways of using exposure to my advantage. This is a fantastic camera, great for an amateur photographer. I have only used it to take still life and outdoor pictures, I also used it to take professional people shots in college, and all of the images have come out perfect. have used both colour and black and white films and have never had a problem.

Purchased At:   Gave to me by my Gra

Submitted by caw1975 a Casual

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2009

Strengths:    Sturdy and solid
Tons of lenses available
Easy to use
No unnecessary (for me) functions
Comfortable grip
Bright viewscreen
Easy to clean
Available cheap used

Weaknesses:    DX detection would be a problem if I wanted to push or pull the film.

Bottom Line:
An old flame bought this camera for me 15 years ago. The meter has never let me down when used properly, which is good because when I first started out and didn't know anything I would just turn the shutter speed or aperture until it stopped flashing. I think I've used the autoexposure function maybe twice because I didn't have a manual until about 9 years ago and by then I knew how to properly use it in manual mode.

I don't use a wide range of films and haven't wanted to try pushing or pulling, so the automatic and unchangeable DX detection hasn't been a problem. In other words, it has all I've needed.

This is a great camera for anyone who prefers or wants to learn on a manual camera but wants a little help from the meter or auto mode.

I dropped it on rocks once and all it had was a small scratch.

Purchased At:   gift - pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   No other SLRs ever used.

Submitted by Warm Gums a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    Low cost, wide variety of lenses.

Weaknesses:    Meter on/off switch is in awkward location, can be tricky to use & is easy to forget, since it controls the whole camera, it is possible to miss shots, if you have "switched off" in order to conserve batteries or lock shutter..

Bottom Line:
Vastly underrated camera, K-mount lenses are great glass; easily producing results that are on a par with most better known "pro" lenses. Plus Pentax makes a nifty adapter allowing one to use their (or any other makers) m42 screwmount lenses on K mount bodies. This opens up a whole world of vintage glass on this body ( I have a Super Tack 55 macro, a Vivitar Series 1 Zoom, & a Mamyia 1.4 50 all purchased for less than $10 each). The P3 is light weight, VERY ergonomic, fitting well in the hand, and comes into action quickly.(meter switch IS a bit fiddly) The viewfinder is reasonably bright, with easy to read metering. The one I always seem to grab if I need something to take on a non photo specific outing.

Purchased At:   Thrift Store