Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Yashica

• MPNfx3kit
    Depth2 in.
    Weight16 oz.
    Shutter Speed1 - 1/2000 sec
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeManual Focus
    Lens MountContax/Yashica MM

The Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 is the ideal camera for students and others who like full manual control over their photography. The camera can use both Yashica mount lenses, as well as world renowned Carl Zeiss T* lenses.

Submitted by Endorphine909 a Professional

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Strengths:    -Simplicity
-Reliability
-Accurate meter
-Access to Zeiss Lenses
-Studio work

Weaknesses:    If you are doing street photography then this is not for you.

Bottom Line:
I love this camera. It is really reliable when I do studio work when I am looking for a certain look in my portraits on film. I usually use a digital camera for metering and use the Yashica for my overall work.

I compete with DSLRs that cost around $3,000 dollars or more and I show up with a $10 dollar camera I bought from a flea market.

The secret is not the body but the lens that it can hold. The Yashica FX-3 or Super 2000 is the gateway to awesome Zeiss Lenses! Zeiss lenses that are often used with adapters on Canons and Nikons digital cameras.

Even when electronic Contax cameras are breaking down or digital SLRs become dirt cheap because of yearly updates of models.

The Yashica FX-3s holds it value on reliability and mechanical simplicity. It can be fixed and repaired easily since it was mass produced with quality materials

I used it on assignment on far reaching places in the Philippines, Vietnam and Tibet. The camera has been to harsh conditions and is still working and reliable. The battery last forever and it is tough as nails when it comes to overall reliability

Purchased At:   Estate sale

Similar Products Used:   Hasselblad 503CW, Leica M6, Canon 5D Mark II

Submitted by Mike_of_Clermont a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Look beautiful,light,pleasant to use,reliable in spite of is age,makes beauriful images.

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
This camera is very pretty,sturdy, not sophisticated and reliable. When I bought it
at a flea market I was not sure that it will work very well, but for 30 euros it was
worth to buy it. The lens is a zoom Tamron 28-70 f:3.5. After the first tests I was
surprised and delighted by the results of this quite old camera : sharp image and
very precise meter.

Purchased At:   flea market

Similar Products Used:   Mamiya Sekor

Submitted by Mark a Professional

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I got my Yashica FX-3 2000 back in 1981 when I was in 8th grade as a gift from my parents. It came with several lens. I have taken litterally thousands of pictures over the years with it. All my kids leanring photogaphy on the same camera just as my dad taught me. This camera has been all over the US with me and recorded my whole live. Next year the carmera will be 30 years old if you can believe that and it still works just as good as it did when it was band new. I have a digital carmera now, but I still use my 35mm yashica when my family goes on vacation becuase it like part of the family now. I can not believe a 30 year old carmera could still work perfectly, but it does.

Submitted by Eddie a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
Have had the camera since 1989 brand new and it still works the same as in day one. Money well spent.

Purchased At:   New York City

Submitted by nikon_junkie a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Strengths:    Can be found on Ebay (Olympus OM1 as well) for the cost of a steak dinner. Glass has roots in Zeiss ( I think) designs. Very under rated.

Bottom Line:
I got this camera around 1980. All through the years, without repair and need for an overhaul this camera performed flawless. Meter worked well and the 50mm f/2 glass ws plenty fast enough for most applications. I gave away recently. I like my Olympus OM1 which has mirror lockup. Both brands can be found very cheaply on ebay and I would buy another as a camera to throw in the car and shot as I see fit. A great solution when I don't want to lug my Nikon gear around.

Purchased At:   1980