Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | 35mm SLRs | Yashica

Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 35mm SLRs

MSRP : $0

• Lens MountContax/Yashica MM
    Camera TypeSLR (Single Lens Reflex)
    Focus TypeManual Focus
    Shutter Speed1 - 1/2000 sec
    Depth2 in.
    Weight16 oz.
    MPNfx3kit

The Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 is the ideal camera for students and others who like full manual control over their photography. The camera can use both Yashica mount lenses, as well as world renowned Carl Zeiss T* lenses.

Submitted by richard hale a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2017

Strengths:    Simplicity, Light weight, ability to take Zeiss lenses

Weaknesses:    Feels very plastic

Bottom Line:
I was looking in my LCS for a tripod head when I noticed an FX3 Super in their second hand cabinet for £18 complete with Yashica 50mm ml f1.9 lens. Both camera and lens in pristine condition and fully functional . As I already own a Contax RTS, Contax 139 and the original FX3, together with a couple of Zeiss Lenses, 50mm f1.7 and 45mm f2.8 the temptation was too great to resist.
The camera itself is a simple very light weight model with no frills. Its so light weight that it is marginally lighter than my FX3 and feels slightly more plastic, but does not give the impression that it will break anytime soon. Pros over the original FX3 are the fact that the leatherette goes not disintegrate, a faster top shutter speed and the meter switches on with a press of the shutter button rather than a little button behind the viewfinder. Cons are that the shutter gives more of a slap due to the increased speed. I think I prefer the separate shutter button meter but its no big deal either way. I have also replaced the leatherette on my original FX3 and as a consequence it also feels very slightly better in the hand than the Super model IMO.
For the money you pay for these cameras you cannot go wrong. The ability to take Zeiss lenses, mechanical simplicity, light weight, good reputation for reliability are all very solid reasons to get one. When combined with my 45mm f2.8 it is the lightest SLR/lense combination in my collection, just 534gms. Compare that with a Pentax ME Super and 40mm f2.8 another very small light combination which I really love, which comes in at 590 gms!

Purchased At:   United Kingdom

Submitted by Endorphine909 a Professional

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Strengths:    -Simplicity
-Reliability
-Accurate meter
-Access to Zeiss Lenses
-Studio work

Weaknesses:    If you are doing street photography then this is not for you.

Bottom Line:
I love this camera. It is really reliable when I do studio work when I am looking for a certain look in my portraits on film. I usually use a digital camera for metering and use the Yashica for my overall work.

I compete with DSLRs that cost around $3,000 dollars or more and I show up with a $10 dollar camera I bought from a flea market.

The secret is not the body but the lens that it can hold. The Yashica FX-3 or Super 2000 is the gateway to awesome Zeiss Lenses! Zeiss lenses that are often used with adapters on Canons and Nikons digital cameras.

Even when electronic Contax cameras are breaking down or digital SLRs become dirt cheap because of yearly updates of models.

The Yashica FX-3s holds it value on reliability and mechanical simplicity. It can be fixed and repaired easily since it was mass produced with quality materials

I used it on assignment on far reaching places in the Philippines, Vietnam and Tibet. The camera has been to harsh conditions and is still working and reliable. The battery last forever and it is tough as nails when it comes to overall reliability

Purchased At:   Estate sale

Similar Products Used:   Hasselblad 503CW, Leica M6, Canon 5D Mark II

Submitted by Mike_of_Clermont a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Look beautiful,light,pleasant to use,reliable in spite of is age,makes beauriful images.

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
This camera is very pretty,sturdy, not sophisticated and reliable. When I bought it
at a flea market I was not sure that it will work very well, but for 30 euros it was
worth to buy it. The lens is a zoom Tamron 28-70 f:3.5. After the first tests I was
surprised and delighted by the results of this quite old camera : sharp image and
very precise meter.

Purchased At:   flea market

Similar Products Used:   Mamiya Sekor

Submitted by Mark a Professional

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I got my Yashica FX-3 2000 back in 1981 when I was in 8th grade as a gift from my parents. It came with several lens. I have taken litterally thousands of pictures over the years with it. All my kids leanring photogaphy on the same camera just as my dad taught me. This camera has been all over the US with me and recorded my whole live. Next year the carmera will be 30 years old if you can believe that and it still works just as good as it did when it was band new. I have a digital carmera now, but I still use my 35mm yashica when my family goes on vacation becuase it like part of the family now. I can not believe a 30 year old carmera could still work perfectly, but it does.

Submitted by Eddie a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
Have had the camera since 1989 brand new and it still works the same as in day one. Money well spent.

Purchased At:   New York City