Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Medium Format | Holga

• Film Format6 x 4.5 cm • 6 x 6 cm
    Interchangeable LensesNot Interchangeable Lenses
    Weight7.04 oz.
    UPC839228008006

Plastic, fixed-focus, medium format camera. -60mm fixed-focus, plastic lens -Shutter speed: 1/100th sec -Aperture: f/8and f/11 -Flash hot shoe -Flash version available Black tape for sealing up light leaks not included.

Submitted by David W a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2015

Strengths:    Cheep, fun, medium format!

Weaknesses:    Back can fall off! (Secure with tape)

Bottom Line:
I was surprised how solid the winding knob felt when I loaded some 120 into my $20 camera-swap find. Also the shutter has a reassuring clunk. I've only shot 1 roll of B/W but the results were consistent with shots I've seen online. Definitely a camera for the free spirited and open minded type. Match the film speed to the lighting conditions, over expose rather than under expose and choose dramatic compositions for best results.

Purchased At:   camera swap

Similar Products Used:   Lomo lc-a, Lomo mini Diana.

Submitted by notsert123 a Casual

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    Dreamy feel to the photos
Shutter release is on the side of lense
Ease of multi exposures

Weaknesses:    Cheap (you get what you pay for)
Overlapping Exposures

Bottom Line:
I bought this camera off craigslist for my first camera. The photos took, were awesome. My one complaint was that with square format, the photos would overlap alot. Which would end up costing me extra money. Despite that, I love this camera and Im glad I bought it.

Purchased At:   The Library

Similar Products Used:   Diana F+

Submitted by Scooterist a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    - VERY low cost.
- Takes 120 film.
- Extremely light.
- Lots of fun!
- Gives great shots!
- I shoot with ISO 100 film in mine all the time!(unless I'm shooting inside)
- Good teaching tool for photographic students.
- Something different from your average medium format camera.
- Easy to modify.

Weaknesses:    - Being plastic, you have to be a little more careful where you put it, lest it fall or get sat on and break.
- Takes a bit of time to get used to the focusing.
- Loading and unloading tend to be a bit of a pain.
- Film has been a little loose inside the camera, but that could just be user error.
- Wish viewfinder was closer to the lens.
- Light leaks.

Bottom Line:
The Holga is a great camera for the medium format beginner. Yes it's cheap, yes the lens is wonky, yes there is vignetting around the edges BUT if you are looking for a dream like quality to your pictures that don't need to be produced using a photoshop like program, then the Holga is def for you.

I love using my Holga(s), they are very simple to use and being made of plastic, are very light. I've never gotten a hand cramp from luggin' around a Holga. :)

Some folks like the unique light leaks, I for one can't stand them, but after about 5 minutes and a roll of hockey tape, the problem was solved!

Everyone has their own opinion of the Holga, but I feel those who call them crap, useless, junk ..Ect. Just haven't really given them a chance. I've seen some extremely cool & beautiful photo's taken with the Holga. Even an award winning shot from a Montreal Photographer!

Try it and see! :D

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   True Vue (Diana Clone)

Submitted by wild_shot a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Strengths:    VERY inexpensive
allows for creative interpretation
fun to use
can come through like a champ on occasion

Weaknesses:    plastic of course
no options
but honestly, they werent designed to be professional cameras, we have to work around their limits and make them work for us.

Bottom Line:
A lot of people say the Holga is crap, and in the real world. it is. BUT! you work around and with it's limitations and you can honestly produce some amazing images. We have used them on assignment's and while, reprimanded by classmates, our professors were amazed as to what we were able to produce with a holga. also, like the others are saying, it is a ton of fun to experiment with, and just have fun! because that is what photography is about is to enjoy it. besides they are so cheap what is the harm in buying one?

also, just for fun we were putting our flashes on the hotshoes. i slapped my 550ex on my holga, man that was a funny sight.

Purchased At:   Samy's Camera