Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Medium Format | Yashica

Yashica 635 Medium Format

4.88/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by jerry jaskula a Beginner

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this 635 in 1965, and my buddy was into photography, he talked me into buying it so he could use it. I no longer have a use for it and someone can get some great use out of it. I have the 35mm adapter,portrate lenses,leather case with strap, a flash attachment, original book. Please contact me if interested!

Purchased At:   clark air base phill

Submitted by Keltic Knot a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2006

Strengths:    Build like a tank. All metal construction less a plastic cap on the focus knob.
Lenses are now the best of the Yashica TLRs with the reliability of an early model.

The Yashica line delivers more bang for the buck than anything out there. The TLR is excellent for portraits, architecture and scenery. If you are after action short go with a different camera. Most of my better shots have been taken using a tripod at f-16 (the sweet spot of the Yashinon).

Weaknesses:    I forget to advance the film from time to time and double expose in error. But it is my fault not that of the camera.

Bottom Line:
The $123 included shipping. The camera looked as if it had never been used. Mark Hama told me when he did the CLA that the interior of the camera showed no signs of use. When I sent the Yashica 635 to him I included a shutter and lenses from a Mat 124G parts camera. He installed the Yashinon in favor of the original Yashikor lenses.
Now it shoots as good as it looks. A hand held meter is needed due to the fact the camera has no meter. I use a Gossen Luna-Pro and often use Gossen's Variable Angle Attachment which allows for spot metering are either 7.5º or 15º. The meter itself reads at 30º.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   The Yashica line delivers more bang for the buck than anything out there. The TLR is excellent for portraits, architecture and scenery.

A Yashica Mat with Lumaxar lenses. This MAT also have no meter. It is from 1958 and uses a film advance crank handle which also cocks the shutter.

It is unlike the other Yashicas I have seen in the following ways:

1) The focus only reads in feet not feet and meters like the others I seen and used.
2) The SEC selections are also unusual and offer the following options:
B, 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500

The other Yashicas offer the following:
B, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, 500

Submitted by maxverb a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    Leaf shutter = flash sync at any speed
multiple film formats (with adapter)
huge negative
good lens

Weaknesses:    non-standard cable release thread
shutter cocking not coupled to film advance (actually an advantage if you like double exposure)

Bottom Line:
This camera was my mother's when she was in photography school in the 1960's, so I didn't pay anything for it. I did spend $5.00 at a yard sale for a box containing a working 35mm adapter kit and a lens hood, both of which are rather rare. I've used this camera for about ten years, whenever I feel the need to go totally manual or feel like shooting film. I usually shoot with digital, but it's nice to step back in time. The Yashikor lens is probably best at f/8 or so, definitely a bit soft wide open. I've used it with the 35mm adapter for studio portraits and it is excellent in this role, but difficult to switch to horizontal viewing because of the waist-level finder and the mirror-image effect. Shooting 120 in the 6x6 format, of course, there is no need to worry about vertical or horizontal; if you aren't sure, just compose wide, and you can crop either way, given that the negatives are so big and sharp. Best to use it on a tripod or grip. The film advance mechanism and the shutter are completely independent; your best bet is to wind film immediately after an exposure, and only cock the shutter when ready to shoot. If you don't have some sort of procedure for this, it can be easy to either make a double exposure or wind right past a blank frame of film! Finally, this camera is built like a tank. I have to confess that it fell off a moving car once, destroying the metal lens hood. I immediately took it to a local repair sho, and they cleared it as working perfectly. I was very impressed (and I never left it on the roof of a car again).

Purchased At:   family heirloom

Similar Products Used:   Mamiya 645, Fuji GS 645 S

Submitted by Christian M Fisker a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2003

Strengths:    Quiet
Strong
easy to use compared to others
sharp optics
nice strong shutter
good with Vivitar 285 flash gun up to 1/500 of a sec!
6x6 format ..large extension possible
its light compared to others med format cams..
need i say more??

Weaknesses:    paralax
a little clumsy

Bottom Line:
I must review this med format Yashica 635 again,please forgive me,in this wonderfull sunny copenhagensummertime of year 2003..i have fallen in love with this Old beautifull great box of quality and pure photographic joy.It is the best 75 dollars i have spend,my clients is so happy with the prints i get from this pearl,and when i scan my negs from Agfas wonderfull RSX 100 colourslides and/or Agfas Pan 100 B/W film on my beloved Epson 2400scanner and print it on the Epson 915 the clients is amazed.!!****
And when i go into the darkroom they cry.*****....so use it for wedding, parties or whatever job youll go for; You will never be dissapointed,but remember to bring a good Meter with you!and a monopod..and..and ..time..
Before You buy one please clean all of it ,especially the lenses.get a yashinon lens and or the yashikor,both types are good and on par with rolleiflexes,mamiyas and even better in my opinion IF you get a good sample.Im amazed how you can get the best bang for the bucks for less than 100usd.
Good Luck!
Best regards
Christian Maldonado Fisker

Purchased At:   photoshop

Similar Products Used:   many from others..
mamiya hassies rollei e.q

Submitted by a Professional from Copenhagen Denmark

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Strengths:    Almost all-get it -buy one.

Weaknesses:    Very few

Bottom Line:
This Yashica is the best value for money medium format camera you can get.
Compared to other brands and similar types this is the one to get.
The optics is very good and the prints youll get is very sharp or soft..you can simply choose what to do.(F8,F11 or 3,5)
Its a little masterpiece of a true workhorse and very strong built.

Purchased At:   photoshop

Similar Products Used:   Mamiya Hassy Rollie and others..