Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Point and Shoot | Canon

Film Type35mm
    Zoom LensWith Zoom Lens
    Zoom Range38 mm - 120 mm
    Zoom Size3.2
    Minimum Focus Distance1.5 ft.
    ISO Range - Automatic SettingISO 200
    Min Aperturef10.9
    Max Aperturef4.5
    Red Eye ReductionWith Red Eye Reduction
    Self TimerYes
    Weight8.8 oz.
    MPNc13-3832
    Product ID20724

Canon's Sure Shot Classic 120 series continues the Canon tradition of pushing the technology envelope further ahead. New and improved features include a powerful 38-120mm built-in zoom lens with aspherical optics, a 7-mode Best-Shot Dial for convenient and automatic camera settings, a 3-point dual hybrid autofocus system, built-in dioptric viewfinder adjustment control, and a high-efficiency built-in Light Guide flash.

Submitted by xpfairmont a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Strengths:    Aesthetics, looks, aesthetics, looks, performance, performance, build quality.

Weaknesses:    Slow lens, so what! it's a point and shoot!

Bottom Line:
Classic by name, Classic by nature. This camera is built very well. It looks very retro, very cool
When looking for a p/s with my wife in 2000 during an overseas trip, we could afford it. We opted for an Olympus super zoom 110 (this is a great camera tool)
Picked this camera up on ebay and it peforms as well as my leica c1, no, really!
In fact the Canon has champion optics and well, if I could wear it I would.
Shots are sharp, clear. I have no issues pulling this camera out at parties and receiving nice comments about it's aesthetics. I will never part with camera.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Leica C1, Canon sureshot 130u II, Olympus superzoom 110,Rollei prego 140, canon mc.

Submitted by sandyrand a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Strengths:    Great optics
Tremendous build quality
Exposure versatility
Low cost

Weaknesses:    Needs 400 speed film in telephoto due to horrible aperature! (this can be said for all point & shoot cameras)

Bottom Line:
One of the best point and shoot cameras I have ever used. The optical quality is outstanding! Versatility is another plus for the Classic 120. Build quality is far above average too. This is a great camera for a professional or casual photographer. Makes a great quick-shot camera for times when all you want is normal size prints and don't want to log around a heavy SLR. I have never been a fan of Canon SLR'r, but this little gem is better than than competition within its focal range.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 120ED
Contax T3

Submitted by Roger Roberts a Expert from Medford, Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    The Classic 120 has an all-metal housing and telescoping lens barrel, in an attractive design. The size and weight are perfect for carrying in the convenient carry case that is provided. The lens quality is typical for Canon, top quality. The auto focusing system is much more sophisticated that than that provided in other point-and-shoots, and capable of providing accurate focus over a wider range of conditions. This is one of the strong points of this camera, as well as the versatility provided by the control-wheel for selecting operating modes.

Weaknesses:    Small aperature over the zoom range. However, this is typical of all point-and-shoot cameras.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Canon Classic 120 Sureshot to replace my other camera that malfunctioned on the first day of a tour through New Zealand and Australia, in October 2002. I had to pay an inflated price of $275 in Auckland but I wanted a quality point-and-shoot that would deliver good pictures. I was not disappointed. I shot 10 rolls during the tour and the pictures I got were of excellent quality. Although Canon recommends ASA 400 for this camera I used Kodak Gold ASA 200 with very good results. It's unfortunate that this camera is no longer marketed by Canon, although I believe some are still available through Internet sources.

Purchased At:   Auckland, NZ

Similar Products Used:   The original Canon SureShot (1980s), Olympus point-and-shoot 35mm cameras, such as Olympus Stylus with 35mm f/2.8 lens, and Olympus Zoom 38-115mm. Also Nikon TeleTouch 300 with Zoom 35-55mm.

Submitted by Bold Eagle a Expert from Elyria, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Solidly made
Fairly light and compact (fits in a shirt pocket)
Excellent AF
Excellent lens
Very good flash
The "personal" setting

Weaknesses:    Slow lens
Flash gets in the way of a hat brim in vertical format shots

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a better travel camera to replace an Olympus 3500 (not at all a bad camera). My primary peeve with the Olympus was the extra bulk and weight, and the camera's propensity to use flash at the wrong time, complicated by the extra few seconds it took to turn it off. The Canon has a mode dial on the back which has a "personal" setting on it. This allows you to select your own set up. I chose spot AF and flash OFF. Since the personal setting is next to the OFF position, one click of the wheel, and I'm ready to go. No more shots of my own flash in the bus window. By use of the personal setting along with the other settings on the wheel, you should hardly ever have to use the controls under the flap.

As I write this the camera and I just got back from an 18 day cruise around Cape Horn. I shot about 14 rolls with this camera and the results are very good. Popular Photography did a review on this camera, and my experience pretty well confirms their review. AF performance is outstanding. Let off is very quick (despite some reviews in this website) and the metering is quite good.

Battery life is at least good. I'm now up to 16 rolls on the original set of cells and going strong. I would have preferred the larger CR123A cells, but the use of the "personal" setting with flash OFF seems to be important in increasing battery life. The higher voltage of the dual cells does seem to give the camera faster zooming response and flash recharge.

I wish the lens was faster than the f/10.9 at 120 mm, although it did not cause me any problems with ISO 400 film.

The lens is excellent and there was no flare in any shots. Shots were comparable to my Stylus Epic in detail, contrast, and "snap", which is to say pretty d*** good! Flash is very conservatively rated, and coverage is uniform. You can push the flash in to supress it without hurting anything. The manual says so. You could do that on the Z-135, but Canon wouldn't endorse it on that model. (I did it anyway) In the vertical format, the flash hits my hat brim, so I just push it in and shoot.
It's not a problem indoors as I don't wear a hat there.

Bottom line: It's a keeper! It is now my primary P&S for all general snapshots and travel. (I also carry a Stylus Epic or a Pentax Espio Mini) I became very attached to it after a roll or two and found myself using it in preference to the Stylus Epic.

This model is now discontinued, but they are still some on dealer's shelves. I bought mine at the end of January, 2003.

The specified focal length range is 38 to 120 mm. I haven't had time to measure the minimum focal length, but it seems wider than 38 mm. The earlier Z-135 was also spec'd at 38 mm but mine measured closer to 43 mm. I measured it because it didn't seem to get enough into the frame. The Classic 120 is much better.

Purchased At:   Loomis Camera

Similar Products Used:   Olympus SuperZoom 3500, Olympus SuperZoom 120 (same as 3500, but a Ritz exclusive), Canon Z-135, Canon 105, Pentax IQZoom 140, Olympus Stylus 105, Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80, Ricoh TF-500, Nikon Zoom

Submitted by brenda hunter a Casual from kingsto, ont, canada

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    Price, This was the caption/date model, was in Canadian Dollars, Not a refurbish with a 2 year Canon International Warranty. Clarity of Pictures, Quality of Flash, Easy of Use, Great looks.

Weaknesses:    Control buttons could have been even just a little larger. Cannon does however provide a tool on your strap to assist.

Bottom Line:
The 4X6 pictures from this camera are every bit equal to our SLR Rebel. (Red eye reduction even works better)The Clarity of the pictures using the Flash where much superior to the T4 Zoom. i.e they where not as dark at the edges or washed out on close ups. I`m sure that the weight and larger size help reduce camera shack. (We previously use to see some in the pictures we took with our Point and Shoot where we never seen it with our SLR) This camera just feels good.
The pop out flash was a concern initially but we seemed to adjust very easy to it. I guess quality will do that.
The camera (for clarity of colours) likes Fugi Extra 400 film at least for indoor shots. The colours are much more lifelike than Kodak 400 Max. The Fugi 200 Extra where also good but not quite as alive.

At this PRICE it would be hard to believe you could better.

Purchased At:   costco

Similar Products Used:   Pentax Espio 150, Canon Sure Shot 130U, T-4 Zoom, Canon Rebel, Samsung 70, etc