Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Point and Shoot | Konica Minolta

Konica Minolta Freedom Zoom 150EX Panoramic Point and Shoot

• Film Type35mm
    Zoom LensWith Zoom Lens
    Zoom Range38 mm
    Battery Type1 x 3V Lithium Battery (CR-2)
    Zoom Size4
    Minimum Focus Distance3.3 ft.
    ISO Range - Automatic SettingISO 25 - 3,200
    Min Aperturef13.8
    Max Aperturef4.5
    Auto ExposureYes
    Red Eye ReductionWith Red Eye Reduction
    Self TimerYes
    WaterproofNo
    Weight6.72 oz.

Never before has a full 4X zoom been able to fit in such a compact body as Minolta's Freedom Zoom 150. Measuring only 4.4 x 2.36 x 1.7 inches and weighing just 6.7 ounces, the Freedom Zoom 150 can slip easily into a shirt pocket.

Submitted by mharvey a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    -Great zoom
-Ultra-Compact
-Looks great
-Super wide AutoFocus area

Weaknesses:    -None!

Bottom Line:
The Minolta Freedom zoom 150 (or Riva zoom 150 in my case) is the best p&s camera I have used! I took it on my trip to America (where it was replaced by a FujiFilm FinePix S2800HD) and it produced excellent photos! My only complaint is the AutoFocus area: It's really wide across the viewfinder so it is kinda annoying when kids are photographing you: the focus area will go onto the foreground (if there is any) and focuses on that. I had a photo which my 6 year sister took and it turned out that the pole in front of us was in perfect focus and we were really blurry. But if that last bit dosen't apply to you then ignore it!

Purchased At:   My aunt's draw

Similar Products Used:   Pentax Espio 135M

Submitted by Louis a Beginner

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    Compact. Good Zoom

Weaknesses:    Unstable

Bottom Line:
Camera broke quickly and took forever to fix. They eventually sent it to Japan to fix. Broke again soon afterward.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Other Nixon and Kodax Point and shoot.

Submitted by Gail a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Strengths:    Size

Weaknesses:    poor quality pictures
not user friendly

Bottom Line:
I purchased this camera because of the more powerful zoom and the size. I use it mostly for travel. This pictures are terrible!!! My $110 Fuji takes far better pictures. When I switch to panoramic the pictures are dark. Often times it locks up and won't allow me to take certain pictures. I called Minolta and sent the camera back within the warranty time but it's still not right and they won't even look at it for less than $95. Guess they don't stand behind their work. I agree that the customer reps aren't friendly or sympathic about problems. Don't buy this camera!!!

Submitted by Doug Boe a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
BEWARE:I wanted to help alert people to stay away from the Minolta Freedom series of point & shoot cameras. My Freedom 125 scratches the non-emulsion film surface on winding or rewind. Notice the similar review by another consumer(on this webpage)of the Freedom 150. Minolta supposedly has a $120 minimum charge to fix this, so I am left with trashing the camera and buying a different make. I've had scratches from day one, but I waited too long to deal with it and I'm now outside warranty. It's too bad, because if not for the scratching, I'd have loved this camera.

Submitted by fatfestus a Casual

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Strengths:    compact size

Weaknesses:    Problems with 2 cameras scratching film
Red eye awful
Red eye reduction feature too slow to be practical

Bottom Line:
I had a very bad experience with this camera. I have children and purchased it mainly for family photos and vacations. My first pictures came back okay and then the next came back with faint scratches. I thought it was the developers fault. Each subsequent roll of film showed increasing more noticeable scratches. I finally returned the camera and got another of the same model. ( I really wanted to go with a different camera but the customer service people at the store were awful.) It soon began to do the same thing . It seemed to be scratching the film when it was rewinding. You could hear it sometimes. When I was finally able to find a real person at Minolta he was not very friendly and not very helpful with the questions I asked. I sent an email question in but only receiceved an automated. The instrucion booklet reads that there are rewinding problems when using polaroid 35mm film. I believe there are rewinding problems with any type of film. I used mainly Kodak which is what is packaged with the camera. I could hardly believe that I got two cameras that damged film in the same way. I finally did exchange it for a different manufacturers camera. I had purchased a service plan from the store. This whole process took over a year to settle.

The pictures I took with the camera were not very good even when they were not scratched. The flash is terrible. Red eye is the worst problem. The red eye reduction feature is very slow. It makes 3 flashes before it takes and kids (and adults) either couldn't be still that long or were confused by it. It did not always produce good results either. If you didn't use it you would almost always have red eye with flash pictures.

The zoom feature is not as good as I had hope either. It only has set stops and ypu can't stop it exactly where you want it.

The price has come down since I first purchased my camera and I think there have been some rebates. I my opinion, I think minolta is trying to unload these things before the word gets out. It was definely not worth the almost $300 I had to pay. I haven't developed my first roll from my new camera yet. I hope it's better

Purchased At:   best buy