Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Point and Shoot | Nikon

Zoom LensWith Zoom Lens
    Zoom Range38 mm - 120 mm
    Focus LockWith Focus Lock
    Zoom Size3.2
    Minimum Focus Distance2.5 ft.
    ISO Range - Automatic SettingISO 200
    Weight7.36 oz.
    MPN1858NCP
    UPC018208018581
    Product ID20335

Pro-quality optics now in a compact camera. Weighing just 7.3 ounces, it's the world's smallest and lightest 35 mm camera with sliding lens cover and 3.2X zoom lens.

Submitted by LTP a Casual

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    picture quality -> sharp!
compact (then)

Weaknesses:    poor battery consumption
no backlit
expensive
short life (????)

Bottom Line:
Bought this camera almost 3 yrs ago as a backup and was also used by my wife for candid shots. When we got our photos developed, we were amazed at the quality of the photos (6x4)from this camera ... so sharp! We can hardly distinguish between these photos and the ones taken by my SLR (except for the date imprinted on the photo by this camera). Quite often people at photo labs asked me what camera I used - They didn't seem to believe that the photos were taken by a "P&S" camera.
Occasionaly, there were some shots were out of focus - mainly due to the fact that I/my wife did not focus it properly before taking the shots ... FOCUS??? (thought I heard someone said "FOCUS???")... Yes, that's rite it is NOT a "Point & Shoot" camera, you have to aim the little square/rectangle at your subject, press the shutter half way, compose, then take the shot! (advice reading manual!) :-)
Now the bad news, 2 days ago when I tried to use it the camera just seized (display panel flashes, grinding noise, lense and flash stuck(?)) It was returned to Nikon for repairs under warranty (3yrs) by the store where it was bought from. I've been told that it'll take approx 3-4 weeks. Until now, after 3 yrs (almost) and having gone through over 100 rolls of film,it would be my top favourite compact camera (film)!
But if you're looking for a "compact" camera .... go digital! :-)

Similar Products Used:   SureShot
Olympus, Minolta, Canon SLRs
G5

Submitted by Wil a Intermediate from Exeter, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    Lens

Weaknesses:    Mechanics. Battery life.

Bottom Line:
One of the worst cameras I have ever owned. I have had tremendous success over the years with two Canon Sure Shots and Nikon SLR. I held high expectations for this point-and-shoot.

The high point was the lens of the camera. The low point was its operation, locking-up during tight candid shots (and losing the shots), to the date stamp resetting to 00/00/0000.

The camera was sent to Nikon for repairs twice (under warranty). Customer service was good, but the problem never resolved.

Nikon should stick with what they do best - lenses and SLR.

Similar Products Used:   Canon Sure Shot.

Submitted by Rami a Expert from Haifa, Israel

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp lens.
Light weight

Weaknesses:    Failed prematurely.

Bottom Line:
Although construction seems somewhat poor, the camera took sharp, well-exposed pictures for over two years. Then, all of a sudden, its microprocessor quit, and as the repair bill would have been not far away from the price of a new camera, this one was simply scrapped. This was disappointing, as this was my second case of a Nikon P/S that failed prematurely.

Similar Products Used:   Pentax Espio 115, 140.

Submitted by Peter a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to operate

Weaknesses:    The electronics.

Bottom Line:
This is a Nikon Zoom M 400 QD purchased in 1998 in Hong Kong. We've shot perhaps 20 rolls of film and although I'm not complaining about the quality of the shots, the zoom function quit at a cost of $102. Now the battery goes dead in a week and I'm told that it's going to be another $96 to replace the mother board. Five years, 20 rolls of film it's now garbage. I've received better value from a Bic lighter. Very disappointed!

Purchased At:   Reputable Electronic

Similar Products Used:   Olympus, Cannon, Kodak Brownie!

Submitted by Steve Lawson a Intermediate from Bowmanville,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    Compact, lightweight (if that is a strength). Mid-range price.

Weaknesses:    Photo quality was average. The red eye was still bad even with the red-eye reduction and 35-40% of the shots were out of focus.

Bottom Line:
We purchased this camera as a supplement to my Canon SLR (which I love). It would be used by my wife primarily. We found the camera body very light weight and were concerned about breaking it. The eyepiece is way to small and awkward. Most of the features are pretty much standard, nothing special. I expected more from a Nikon product which I have always found overpriced for what you get. This camera proved it. Out of 4 rolls put through it we found that approx. 35-40% of the shots were out of focus (a problem I have heard here from other reviews).

Purchased At:   Henry's Photo