Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Point and Shoot | Olympus

• Warranty1 Year warranty
    MPNStylus Epic QD
    Product ID20511
    Film Type35mm
    Battery Type1 x 3V Lithium Battery (CR123A)
    Weight4.64 oz.
    Self TimerYes
    Shutter Speed4 - 1/160 sec
    Camera TypePoint and Shoot
    Minimum Focus Distance1.1 ft.
    ISO Range - Automatic SettingISO 50 - 200
    Max Aperturef2.8
    Film Speed100 ASA / 21 DIN
    Zoom LensWithout Zoom Lens
    Zoom Range35 mm

Precision-crafted and styled for success, the Infinity Stylus Epic has an ultra-compact, all-weather body, and a high-resolution 35mm f2.8 lens. Fully automatic operation, intelligent variable-power flash, and lots more of the advanced technology features that have made our Stylus cameras famous worldwide.

Submitted by Pau Zimmerman a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2012

Strengths:    This little gem has very good metering. It can be every bit as fast for (small windows of opportunity )as any Rangefinder out there. Extremely compact to carry everywhere. I can get great food shots with flash off on a small tripod in low light conditions. Outdoors it performs admirably with slide film because of the most acurate meter for a P&S ever.

Weaknesses:    None that I can really complain about...just take your time when you need to, which for me is how you go about photography anyways.

Bottom Line:
Overall this little cam has class even in 2012... too bad they cant warrant the manufacturing do to the digital market. Still like to hold film print in my hand.

Purchased At:   Adorama

Similar Products Used:   Many slrs, rangfinders, p&s, Digital slr for work!

Submitted by martin a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2011

Strengths:    small, sharp lens easy to use, flash no drama. the best tiny film camera i've used and cheap as.

Weaknesses:    When you turn off the camera it loses its spot metering and you need to reset it.

Bottom Line:
travelled around ireland for 3 months, always in my pocket, my slr film camera being too big to always carry. shot 5 rolls of slide film ,some 50 and some 22 iso and some c41 negs.
all were perfectly exposed using the spot meter and as sharp as my nikkor lenses.

Purchased At:   charity shop

Similar Products Used:   I have a dozen compact film cameras and this is my choice every time, wish I had the ultra wide .

Submitted by W James Starkey a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Strengths:    Simple, let's me have confidence.

Weaknesses:    I once shot with it in rain for an hour and a half before it quit. I was ready also.

Bottom Line:
This was, is, a great camera. I just self published a book on blurb.com shot entirely with this camera. Believe me, you should take a look. Go to blurb.com and search for "Streets of Joy". It is a documentary of Brazil Carnival in historic neighborhoods.
Great cameras help to take great photos.

Purchased At:   Many places

Similar Products Used:   Digital cameras don't have near the resolution in highlights or shadows.

Submitted by wailtd@gmail.com a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    Size, Fully Automatic, Spot meter for more difficult exposure situations, Time-Date stamp, Adjustable flash settings, Self-timer. Good ergonomics make this a wonderful little film camera.

Weaknesses:    Fully Automatic (this is definitely not on par with an SLR), have to check your LCD for your date-imprint settings every time you power it up. Finding manual difficult but found similar manuals (see summary above.)

Bottom Line:
I found this at Salvation Army for 49 cents. It looked a little rough but I got it home, popped a CR123 in it and man... it fired right up. Amazingly, it still had the correct date and time on the back LCD display. All the buttons worked and it seemed all the operations were fine. It was tough loading film initially. It took several attempts but once I got the notch on the take-up reel caught on the film leader sprocket hole, shazam, it wound itself right up. This looks like a tough little p&s. I took it out in the rain the first day shooting with it and it worked without a hitch. Simply dried it off with a towel when I was through. Fuji-400 print film was outstanding when developed. Everything was tack sharp and well exposed. 4x6 prints were great. I scanned up to 10x8 without a problem. I'd recommend grabbing one if you get the chance. Pocket-size, all-weather, good lens. Overall fantastic little P&S.
Manuals - http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/O_Stylus.pdf or http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/SEZ80_english.pdf

Purchased At:   Salvation Army

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of P&S 35mm cameras. This Olympus is one of the better ones.

Submitted by MARTYr Photo a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2007

Strengths:    - Light meter is solid and very smart. How many cameras do you know of that have color meters in them? Handheld color meters are expensive!!! I can't believe they included that technology in this camera.

- Spot metering! Again, I can't believe they put something as cool as spot metering in a point n' shoot. I also can't believe they made activating it such a pain in the butt.

- Lens produces interesting pictures that I think stand out from what is becoming the norm in this digital age of vernacular photography.

- Design and styling is just as sleek as cameras being made today. Like the XA (the camera the Stylus Epic was spawned from) the design of this camera was way ahead of its time when released. Truly timeless lines on this beauty. I fits in your hand so well.

- Weather proof design can take far more moisture than my digi point n' shoot. I just wandered around in the jungles of Puerto Rico for a week with my Epic and the thing didn't miss a shot. In the mist and the rain, shoved in and out of my pocket, the camera rocked.

Weaknesses:    - Spot metering function is tough to activate in a consistent manner.

- Flash photography with any small camera is tough. The lens and flash are so close together, it's hard to get pleasing results. The Sylus Epic handles the task of mixing flash and ambient light brilliantly and even a blast of full frontal light has a hard time taking away from the images this camera is capable of producing.

- Manual ISO control would have been nice. The auto ISO DX sensor is a geat feature on a fully auto camera like this one, but an override that allows you to adjust the film speed to your liking would have been super cool. I like to shoot my print film one stop overexposed to help keep the shadows from filling in (something especially important when shooting with a contrasty lens) and this is not possible with the Epic unless I want to somehow change the DX barcode on each canister of film I load. So far the meter has really done a great job of keeping the tonality of the images under control, but there are situations where no averaging meter is going to get it right. I guess that's what the spot meter is for, though.

- Olympus stopped making it. A huge weakness!

Bottom Line:
Such a cool little camera! It's the one I grab whenever I head out the door. My Canon Powershot S60 digi has been sitting, unused, for months. Its image quality can't touch the Epic. True, shooting film is a labor of love, but I really enjoy being able to present shots that don't look like they came from the same digi point n' shoot that everyone and their grandma owns.

I've shot with this camera in all kinds of lighting, with and without flash, and the meter just rocks. The soft fill flash capabilities are nice and have given me very pleasing results on shots that would have been a blown out mess if taken with a digital.

I've read some complaints about the AF system. I haven't had any problems getting the AF to focus on exactly what I want. I know the selling points on the camera state that it can focus on subjects that aren't in the center of the frame, but I want to know exactly where my AF is landing, so I point the crosshairs in the center on my point of focus, lock it in, recompose and shoot. That's how you have to use this camera. It's pretty much fully auto, but you do have to understand how the AF behaves in order to get consistent shots from it. It's not going to know what you want to focus on unless you tell it.

The lens on this camera produces beautiful images full of saturation, contrast and detail. It represents the space around your subjects in a way similar to nice SLR lenses. It's hard to explain but you can see it in the images. They have a certain, very pleasing look. It is tough to get the lens to stop down into the f/8, 11 and 16 range. I'm assuming that might only happen in bright snow or beach conditions with ISO 1600 film. But, for normal shooting, this camera does tend to keep the lens open wide so you can get fast shutter speeds and fewer blurred pictures. The bokeh on the lens is really nice, so I don't mind the shallow DOF.....you just have to know it's going to be there in low to medium lighting conditions and compose accordingly. Shooting fast film in this camera is a good idea for this reason. ISO 400, 800 and 1600 are good places to start.

Get one before they're gone forever.

Purchased At:   Goodwill