Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Point and Shoot | Yashica

Yashica T-4 Super/T5 Point and Shoot

The Yashica T4 Super is a micro sized Auto Focus camera with an ultra sharp Carl Zeiss Tessar T* lens.

Submitted by Daniel a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    Great Camera
Long Lasting Camera in the idea that it still works after being owned for over 10 years
Uses AA batteries instead of my digital camera's Lithium-ion battery
Outshines even more expensive modern day digital cameras
Wonderful and amazing lenses used when building the camera
Waist-line view finder

Weaknesses:    The battery for me at least seemed to drain a bit faster...
(Not against the camera): The Yashica brand doesn't "exist" anymore, so you will not find support from them.

Bottom Line:
I had received this camera as a present when I was 9 years old. It was my first "real" camera. Other cameras I had were disposable film ones, which meant that had I wanted to take more pictures, I'd have had to buy more disposable cameras, taking up more space in my bags when I traveled. The camera keeps chugging along even after more than 10 years of use... The pictures still look great, years after I had taken them...

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Similar Products Used:   Other Kyocera cameras, as well as Olympus, Nikon, Samsung, and Sony cameras.

Submitted by Rock Wallaby a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Lens, durability, Cheap (now)

Weaknesses:    Shutter lag. Flash a bit weak (okay for fill)

Bottom Line:
Owned for 8 years. Camera produces excellent pictures. I use with Velvia slide film and find the lens resolution is more than adequate. Despite plastic construction, I've taken trekking in Nepal twice and dropped from shoulder height onto concrete - still works fine. Great for outdoor photos; not great for portraits.

Similar Products Used:   Nikon FE2.

Submitted by Toby a Intermediate from Hereford, UK

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    Lens
Metering
Ability to still produce good, atmospheric images without flash in low natural light

Weaknesses:    Construction? My first T5 died - my current T5 has been very reliable
Fiddly controls
It is bulkier than newer models.

Bottom Line:
My first T5 died - it kept locking up unpredicatably. I exchanged it for another and I am glad that I did.

I carry it around with me most of the time to take landscape and portraits, mainly black and white.

I am very impressed with the quality of the images the camera has produced. They have a really nice, sharp quality. The camera copes very well in low natural light with the flash turned off - I enjoy taking portraits in these conditions - the results so far have been impressive and for most situations as good as my manual SLR.

Purchased At:   Jessops

Similar Products Used:   Mju
Praktica BC1, B100 SLR

Submitted by Yazeed a Intermediate from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Brilliant optics
Small size
Cheap

Weaknesses:    Edgy shutter button
Shutter lag- depending on the mode
Cheap-looking casing could've been more robust
Automatically but irritatingly resets to default mode after every exposure

Bottom Line:
I've only been using a Canon SLR before trying to get a good P&S for my overseas travels with the family. D*** lucky to get a brand new T4-last piece- from a big department store at only S$160. That's about USD$90. Another smaller photo shop was quoting USD$160. Chose this over the Epic II because of the price and well, they don't produce T4s anymore.
I've ran thru only 3 rolls so far but am very pleased with the quality of the pictures, esp outdoors. The colours are simply awesome. Sharpness at all corners is comparable to my 50mm 1.8 Canon lens. Not very pleased initially though with the sensitive shutter button, but have learnt to adjust. Portraits produce nice fuzzied backgrounds if correct mode is chosen.

Purchased At:   Singapore