Home | Reviews | Cameras | Film Cameras | Rangefinders | Leica

Leica M6 TTL Rangefinders

4.51/5 (93 Reviews)

Small, quiet, and discreet: The LEICA M6 TTL-models are not only the ideal cameras for photojournalism, travel-, and available-light photography, but also for care-free and successful flash operation.

Submitted by Ray a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    -Solid as a brick
-Pecision feel
-Access to great lenses
-Quiet and vibration free

Weaknesses:    -Overpriced
-Dim, glare prone viewfinder
-Film loading from the 50's
-Slow to operate compared to other cameras

Bottom Line:
I lusted after an M6 for much of my young life and after using a CL and 6 M lenses (Leitz, Minolta and Voightlander), finally got a mythical M6. Beautifly made, solid like a brick, precision feel and build. A dram come true.

After one year I sold it.

I found it hard to see with glare, the images was small and frames not easy to use. I lost a few rolls to it's fool proof loading and some moments lost in reloading. It took great photos, but was not always great to use. In the end I preferred the CL and a wonderful CLE over the M6. Better viewfinder, easier loading in a smaller lighter package. After 20 years still using CL and CLE

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Tamrkin

Similar Products Used:   Leitz CL
Minolta CLE
Contax G2

Submitted by kamerawork a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    1) Wide selection of highest quality lenses - both vintage and modern. And there is a huge variety of other LTM lenses you can try for nostalgia. I occasionally use a Russian Jupiter 12 with M adapter with excellent results - total investment $90.
2) No mirror slap to shake the camera or noise to attract attention. With a Leitz 50mm finder mounted on top, you have 1:1 viewing and can shoot with both eyes open - seeing what is outside the frame (but about to enter it), not just what is inside the frame.
3) Compactness - I have an Elmar f2.8 that collapses into the camera and I can then drop it into my coat pocket. Try that with an SLR! I carry 2 bodies, 3 lenses, filters, film, flash, bottom lens mount, and a small tripod in a small Tenba shoulder bag.
4) Reliability - I have a CL as backup, but have never needed it. Change batteries on your birthday and it will never let you down.
5) Service and parts - some of the best repairers in the business are the Leica fixers - Sherry Krauter is mine. Yes, it isn't cheap, but my Rolex costs more to service than my Leica. Great parts support from Leica - for example, my 50-year old Elmar was bought with a pitted front element (common), but John vanStelten ( www.focalpointlens.com ), had no trouble getting a replacement element and putting th elens in like new condition.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

No self timer.

Zoom with your feet. (Every time I lift the camera to ny eye I can hear my father saying "Get closer!")

Bottom Line:
Over 50 years of photographing, I worked my way up From a gift Exa to a Rollei 35, Nikonos, EM and then bought a Minolta CLE just before a month's assignment to the Exxon Valdez cleanup. The 6 rolls of Fuji slide film I shot in Alaska was the catalyst that made the remainder of my career. After the CLE the only camera I wanted was a Leica M, but did not want to give up the metering feature. One Sunday morning I caught my M6 with 50mm Summicron and grip on eBay, like new with boxes for $2K and have never been disappointed.
I can't understand the fuss about loading film - because I borrowed a Leica IIIf once during a CLE breakdown and those are HARD to load.
Once the film is in the M6 the camera is a dream to use. With in-finder metering and finger-tab focusing, I was finally able to concentrate on seeing EVERYTHING in the viewfinder, breathing and squeezing off the shot. The lenses are fantastic. The best roll of film I ever shot was one afternoon in NY with the 50mm mounted and the 90mm in my pocket and the evening sun making magic. The heft and balance of the camera give confidence. The nearly inaudible shutter and no motor drive enable stealth. The metering is so accurate there is little need for bracketing.
I was in London and had the evening off. I wanted to re-shoot a picture that I had shot with an Olympus SP and planned to enter in the state fair, but lost (the house knew better and was hiding it). I lurked in a corner opposite the Liverpool Station main stairway and waited for someone wearing red to enter the frame, meanwhile calculating whether to shoot at 1/15 or 1/30 to get the desired sense of motion. Finally a redhead walked by in a pink coat. The photo took first place in the next state fair.
That's just an example of the kind of cinfidence this camera gives you. Forget the plastics, computers, flapping mirrors and obnioxious motor drives. If you want the essence of photography you want an M6.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Minolta CLE - the only thing that comes close to an M6 + it has auto exposure!
Leica CL.
Olympus SP
Leica M2
Stereo Realist (a different world)

Submitted by Robert john a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    Brings back the joys of photography.

Weaknesses:    Taking the M6 as it is I see no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I have been reading reviews on the M6 for quite a while but I never saw one in the flesh until October when I was on holiday in London.
I was wanting to look at the Digilux 2 but I spied an M6 and fell in love with it.
I already have a Contax G2 kit and wasn't thinking about another film camera but I caught the bug and bought a used M6 in new condition. I then bought a 50mm f2 lens which I love.
As the Leica lens are very expensive I have just bought a used 90mm Voigtlander and am thinking of buying a Voigtlander 25mm f4.

The M6 is a lovely camera to use, it is not a point and shoot but a deliberate photographic instrument that takes me back to when I started photography 35 years ago.
I shoot black and white film with it, develop the film in the normal way and print the photos with my Epson Color 680 printer using a single black ink at 2880 dpi.

The camera gets knocked for film loading but I don't find this a problem, it's all part of the manual aspect of Leica photography like the focusing and metering.
The fun is now back in my photography.
The contax is an excellent camera but in a very different way.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Contax G2

Submitted by azipuff a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2004

Strengths:    Small, quiet & extremely portable
Discreet
TTL metering
Minimal shutter lag
No viewfinder blackout

Weaknesses:    Rangefinder patch flare
Sluggish meter response
Shutter easily damaged by the sun
Parallax error (common to all viewfinder cameras)
Difficult to focus moving subjects

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful camera that allows high quality 35mm images to be taken without the intrusiveness of an SLR. It is a camera that forces you to consider the fundamental elements involved in photography with every picture taken. Unfortunately it is expensive.

Similar Products Used:   Leica M2
Konica Hexar AF
Olympus MjU-II

Submitted by ernst a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    Solid, quality, flawless operation, ease of operation (after practice). The results, my chromes speak for themselves.

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware.

Bottom Line:
I initially approached the Leica M through a M^TTL 0.58. Wearing glasses I found that I could see the bright lines easily particluarly with my 35, 50, 75. I added a dioper and the 1.25 magnifier but have since removed both from the eyepiece. Moving from the SLR ( I the camera do everything, including your thinking), I found the M6TTL a little getting use to. Viewing, film loading and making all the adjustments. It couldn't have been too bad as I added the 0.85 for my 75 and 90. Eschewing the diopter and 1.25 magnifier I found viewing easy with time (read practice). Being my first experience with Leica, I was and am completely impressed by the design and solidity of these cameras. They are NOT designed to be obsolete after 1 or 2 years with a new wizbang model SLR, ala Japan. Designed for obsolescense is he mafrketing scheme and has been for them. Back to my lovely Leicas. Now over time they are simply an extension of my vision (Iknow sounds like copy for Leica ad),but it is true. Having started around age 10, now 61 my Leicas ( and lenses ) are all one could ask for in 35mm, given the constraints of design and purpose.

Similar Products Used:   Leica M7, 0.58 and 0.72.