- Browse Reviews:
Product Description20GB, 40GB, or 60GB Hard Drive. with LCD Screen Internal Rechargeable battery Built-in compact flash/micro drive slot USB interface
Submitted by Charles White a Intermediate
Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006
Love this product but can not find a replacement battery for it... Big downfall
Duration Product Used: 21+ years
Price Paid: $235.00
Purchased At: online
Type of photography: Outdoor
Submitted by 831Photography a Professional from Akron, OH USA
Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003
Strengths: 1. Price
2. Ability to copy to and from disk
3. You can clear the CF card
4. Many adapters available
5. Should be upgradable (uses standard laptop HDD)
6. Solid build
7. Upgradeable Firmware
Weaknesses: 1. Battery drains quickly
2. Humidity / Temperature extremes may cause problems
3. cannot copy or clear a card with a bad file on it
4. USB 1.0 transfer is SSLLOOWW (USB 2.0 compatible is supposed to be coming)
We use this for our digital wedding work. It has worked extremely well, with just a few *minor* issues. Overall, it has been extremely good to us, and I would highly recommend it.
It was outside in very hot, humid weather. After coming into an air-conditioned room, it simply stopped working until the batteries drained. It remained on, but would not respond to any input or cards. Once it re-booted, it was fine. Having an actual power switch probably would have corrected the issue.
2. A glitch on one of our CF cards would lock it up. I'm assuming that the door was opened on our camera before it finished writing, but that error rendered the card useless until we could use our laptop to clear the 1 bad file. We haven't installed the new firmware, so I'm hoping there is a fix here.
3. The batteries really don't last that long. We shoot around 300-400 RAW images (7 Meg each) so we transfer quite a bit of information. There hasn't been a wedding yet that we haven't had to find an outlet to plug in for a while. Not a major problem, but a bit annoying. Having AA batteries, or at least replacable rechargables would be much nicer. They do make a battery pack for this, and I would imagine that a standard 7.2v pack with the right adapter would work fine, too.
Other than these problems, this unit has been wonderful. The ability to copy AND delete makes it very nice for rapid fire work. Our assistant can copy and clear the card while the photographer is shooting, and when ready, they can just swap cards without the photographer having to clear the card in camera (which can take a bit of time). It also has the ability to copy from the disk to the card, so you can show pictures you have already saved. We don't do this much, but it might be nice on longer trips.
Price Paid: $299.00
Purchased At: Online
Similar Products Used: Laptop only