Home | Reviews | Digital Gear | Scanners | Film Scanners | Epson

PlatformPC, Mac
    Form FactorDesktop
    Supported Media TypePlain Paper
    Media Loading MethodManual Load
    Max. Supported Media Size A4 (210 x 297 mm)
    Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 95 • Microsoft Windows NT
    Warranty1 Year
    MPNB109032DA
    Product ID20844074

The highest resolution in its class. The fastest scanning speed in its class. Combine them and it’s clear: the EPSON® Expression® 1600 is in a class by itself. In fact, it’s one of the few scanners fast enough and powerful enough to complement the newest Power Macintosh® and PC systems.

Submitted by Dieter Dittrich a Expert from Mackenzie, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Strengths:    Very fast and quiet with great colour accuracy. Excellent film holders. A real bonus is that I can also use it to make contact sheets for sorting and filing my 35mm negatives. As a flatbed scanner it is almost overkill.

Weaknesses:    Epson doesn't support Firewire with Microsoft Windows.

Bottom Line:
It is like a good quality, dependable utility vehicle, getting you where you want to go when you want to go.
Photographers looking to purchase a scanner of any kind should be familiar with intendet use of the digitized image.
Having at least basic knowledge of how the dots per inch of a scanned image relates to the printed image is very valuable.
Having several Kodak Pro Photo CDs on my shelf and almost crying when looking at the quality of the scans it is very reasuring to see the Epson 1600 Pro Firewire on my desk.
6x7 and 4x5 negatives and transparencies to be printed on my Epson 1200 is the main reason for me to have my images digitized, and the 1600 dpi is more than adequate.
The film holders are top quality and are a joy to use. At first I thought that a mistake was made shipping me such a flawless unit, as I had heard some horror stories from others here in town who had the same scanner. Some people came by to tell me of specific problems they had, watching me do some scans of some 6x7 transparencies,leaving them totally speachless after also seeing some 11x17 prints.
From the start this scanner has been the most fun piece of electronic equipment I have used.
I use an Athlon 1ghz, with 512mb PC133 and Photoshop 6.0

Purchased At:   Progressive Software

Similar Products Used:   IBM 16 flatbed

Submitted by Diane a Intermediate from Dallas

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Fast when doing photos. Epson Twain Driver Pro easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Purchased PRO version to do medium format file. Color shift towards green so went to use MonacoEZ software (ncluded) to color profile. That's when I discovered they deceive consumers by not telling them they have to purchase an additional $100 product to color correct the transparency cover.

Bottom Line:
Buyer beware and don't trust their press releases! Written to mislead consumers by omission.

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by Robert Smith a Intermediate from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Strengths:    High resolution, especially for scanning medium and large format film and for print enlargements. I've had very good results using this scanner, particularly scanning 4x5 inch transparencies. With such a large original image, and up to a 3200 dpi scan (non-interpolated), I have pixels to spare, and usually end up throwing much of it away (resampling down), resulting in a nice, clean image. This scanner does an excellent job revealing low-level detail.

I've also scanned 6x7 cm negatives and transparencies with excellent results. When I show my resulting prints (using an Epson Stylus Photo 1270), most people (including professional photographers) can't tell it's a digital product.

36-bit scanning is a nice capability also, although I don't know if it makes much difference. (There appears to be a little less scanning noise when I use 36-bit.)

I've also scanned a few prints, and the resulting color and detail are excellent.

Installation (on my Mac G3 system) was very easy; works every time.

Weaknesses:    I've heard that the 35mm scans are second-rate at best, although I have also scanned a few, and they come out well, with a little corrective sharpening.

You can see some noise on the raw scans, but I've never seen this translate to poor printed image quality.

I don't like handling film, especially 35mm film. If I did a lot of 35mm, I'd purchase a dedicated 35mm scanner. So this is not a criticism of this product per se, but a criticism of the format (flatbed used for film scanning).

Also, this scanner is big and heavy, which may or may not be a problem.

The preview in the twain driver does not show very accurate color, so I find the adjustment options at that point fairly useless (i.e. I get better results when I leave it alone). The twain controls are a little non-intuitive also.

I also wish Epson would specify a color space for the output. To their defense, they include a copy of Monaco EZcolor, so you can create an accurate conversion profile for flatbed input (you need to purchase a transparency target separately).

Bottom Line:
Definitely worth a look; for my immediate purposes, it's excellent.

Highly recommended for 4x5 photographers and medium format; provides a very good value for these applications.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by greg kozlik a Expert from NW Indiana

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    Easy installation - good color negative scans.

Weaknesses:    B&W - major problem with B&W T-Max film. Cannot seem to get scanner to focus - scans look blurred. I am disappointed.

Bottom Line:
This scanner is great for Medium Format color negatives - it doesn't do a good job with B&W negs.