Home | Reviews | Digital Gear | Scanners | Film Scanners | Microtek

Microtek ArtixScan 4000T Film Scanners

4.07/5 (15 Reviews)

• Scanner TypeFilm Scanner (35 mm)
    InterfaceSCSI-2 (8-bit)
    Form FactorDesktop
    Scan Element TypeCCD
    Light SourceCold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp
    Input TypeColor
    Film Scanning Capabilities35mm Slides • 35mm Filmstrip • Positive Film • Negative Film • Monochrome Film
    Optical Density3.4 Dmax
    Focus ControlAuto Focus • User Selectable
    Preview Speed25 Sec
    Supported Media Type35 mm Film • 35 mm Slides • APS Film
    Media Loading MethodManual Load
    Max. Supported Media Size Film (26 x 38 mm)
    Operating SystemApple MacOS • Apple MacOS 9 • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 95 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition • Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition • Microsoft Windows NT • Microsoft Windows XP • Apple MacOS X
    MPNAS4000T
    UPC4712880295242

The AS4000t defines a new standard in transparency imaging quality. With up to 4000 dpi optical and 8000 dpi interpolated resolutions. Capturing over twice as many pixels as its competitors, the AS4000t allows users to enlarge a 35mm scan to a full A3 size with no degradation to output quality. At 3.4 Dmax, the AS4000t easily captures the level of detail and sharpness required by the most discriminating imaging professionals.

Submitted by Killerbee a Intermediate from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Strengths:    4000 dpi scans, reaches deep into shadows, it takes the nikon 4000 dpi scanner a VERY long 16x mulit sampling scan to do what this unit does in one pass. VERY fast with silverfast se or AI demo.

Weaknesses:    Tek support is useless, the microtek software tho well featured has dumb useless idiot modes for portraits, night etc, and when scanning is FAR to slow, it slows a P4 2.4 ( overclocked to 2.8 ) to a snail having a Sunday nap! no ice but I keep my slides and negs clean.

Bottom Line:
Well my polaroid unit died so I was looking for a replacement, cheap and in a hurry, since this is a very similar unit I decided on the microtek scanner, the price was only a little more than a 2800 dpi minolta and I have most of the accessories and neg/slide carriers from the polaroid. The unit was shipped with ALOt of extra pading and instalation went perfectly fine. The build was better than the polaroid unit, tho not as good as a nikon or canoscan. I installed microteks scan wizard and quickly missed polaroids polar colour ( strangly installing scan wizard tx UNinstalled polar colour, HUMMM! ). Well Polar colour did not see this scanner either so after figthing with the microtek software with it's idiot modes I finally got a scan the way I wanted, now the quality of the scan was great, up to par with what I was getting before BUT! the software was unusably slow! TOO slow! and I'm running on a P4 2.4 GHZ machine with gobs of ram. So the hardware is up to the task performing as well as my old ( RIP ) polaroid unit could but the software is just unbearable. Thankfully they also included silverfast se, tho I can only scan at 36-24 bit it really impressed me, the saving grace of this package. So bottom line, use vuescan or get silverfast AI to use this scanner, the microtek software, tho capable of delivering very good scans is just to slow to be of any use, also the it8 targets no longer come with the scanner nor does the kodak software, no idea why either. As for tek support microtek is useless as well, thankfully I won't be needing it either. the real downside is I will have to spring for silver fast AI ( I tried the demo now I'm hooked, se will have to serve untill I can fork out for the real thing ). Hardware I'll give it a 4/4.5 software would get a 1 but it did come with silverfast se, tho it does not scan at 48 bit, overall it's a 3, value is a 4 it is only a bit more than a 2800 dpi unit, and performs far better. The newer unit has silverfast AI BUT at it's cost I'd get the minolta 5400 scanner if I could have afforded it.

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   polaroid sprint scan 4000, canoscan 4000, nikon coolscan 4000, epson 3200

Submitted by Derek Simpson a Professional from Northern Ireland

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    Optically good

Weaknesses:    Mechanically fragile

Bottom Line:
Fine scanner while it worked. Not overused (possibly 1,000 -1,500 scans) at 2years and 4 months it has been pronounced uneconomic to repair by Microtek UK. I don't call that good value and I don't call 11 weeks for a (non) repair very good service - lest the irony be lost - in the matter of service Microtek has been abysmal

Purchased At:   Acumis technology Du

Submitted by Carmela a Beginner

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Very slow, noisy, inconsistency

Bottom Line:
Not very good, I always get a code error when trying to save my scans. The machine will not let me scan more than 1 before timing out.

Submitted by kowen a Intermediate from Cut Off, LA USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Strengths:    Great value, 4000dpi scans, adjustable d-max, Scanmaker software very helpful. Great results. 19" enlargements possible.

Weaknesses:    None for me, but others should read about the dust issue-making sure film is clean (clean as necessary, swab scanner before use)

Bottom Line:
I've read many user reviews, and wrote to owners of the 4000T before purchasing this scanner. It does not have ICE or Canon's FARE (which does not soften the image when removing dust), but I must say-this scanner is a joy to use. I make sure my negatives or slides are as clean as possible-something I would do anyhow before scanning. I also do swab the inside of this scanner-the rectangular ccd sensor, and I do cover this scanner with a plastic bag, as the entryway for the film and slide holders is open.

I have Microtek's 8700, so I am familiar with the Scanmaker software. The 4000T has the added capability of adjusting the d-max: either using the automatic mode, or adjusting from .05-4.0 . This, I believe changes the brightness of the scanning lamp. I have found this useful-you can hit automatic, and adjust from there as necessary. In just a few slides or negatives, I have adjusted the black and white points before scanning, or slight adjust in curves, to get better shadow detail, but usually do all correcting in PS 5 LE. Any correcting in pre-scan mode is for better shadow detail in dim-lit situations-if necessary.

I have scanned night exposures, with very dark brown or blue shadows and other difficult negatives or slides with very little or no noise. Adjusting the black & white points and or D-Max before scanning can help with this, if necessary; surprisingly often, it is not.

This scanner is for an advanced user, but for anyone interested in a great 35mm scanner at a great price who is willing to take the time to learn about scanning and digital archiving his or her film or slide collection, this is a great tool, with great software-hard to beat for the money. The price I paid includes a $100 rebate.

It does come with Genuine Fractals, Silverfast, and Kodak's Q60ES slide(a great value in itself) to do a monitor profile with included software-none of which I have used.

This scanner is very sharp, and at 4000dpi will pick up DETAIL-dust, etc. and grain from grainier print or slide films. I have scanned at 3400 or 3600 to lessen this effect in certain shots, from past use of film that showed more grain.
I have scanned Kodak Royal Gold 100, Kodachrome from as far back as 1975, Ektachrome, Fuji Velvia, with nice results. While some slides may have color shifted, this was corrected in PS5LE. I find the color scans very tru

Purchased At:   buy.com