Home | Reviews | Digital Photography Software | Noise Reduction Software | Neat Image

Neat Image Noise Reduction Noise Reduction Software

5/5 (4 Reviews)

A digital filter designed to reduce visible noise in digital photographic images.
  • This tool can denoise images from any digital camera or scanner using custom device noise profiles
  • It can work as a standalone noise reducer application — you can use Neat Image without Photoshop
  • There is a plug-in version of Neat Image too
  • Windows compatible, Mac version in development

Submitted by SharpShooter a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Strengths:    The Pro+ is fantasic just for the adobe photoshop plug, great for batch processing as I am shooting sports at night a 3200 iso on my Canon 10D and have around 500 shots to work with each weekend. Cleans up the very noisy pictures at High ISO ratings that usually are not useable. Can work with any digital device which means scanners as well as digital cameras. General user interface is easy to understand after reading the documentation.

Weaknesses:    The batch processing mode is not that intuitive to activate, though when you get into the mode it is very easy to add jobs.
    Due to the computing power required (not a limitation of NeatImage) the time to take to clean up an image can be very slow on a low end machine.
    Not available on Mac.

Bottom Line:
    The best noise reduction program available. Very effective, you can download noise profiles for common digital gear so you don't have to spend those extra 10 minutes creating your own profiles. Well documented and worth every penny. Download the demo today and give it a go - this is a must for any digital photographer in my humble option.

Similar Products Used:   Photoshop

Submitted by Adam Lang a Expert from Bakersfield, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great manual and online support. Can batch many files and run while away from computer.

Weaknesses:    Slow, about 2min per 6mp image. Takes a bit of practice to optimize the settings.

Bottom Line:
    Simply the best, a phenomenal value. With Neatimage I can shoot with my Canon D60 at ISO 1000 and get results nearly as good as ISO 100. Film is truly dead for me now..

Similar Products Used:   PS USM

Submitted by slsman a Expert from Toronto, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Photoshop Plug In available in Pro version. Stand alone single or batch capability as well.

Weaknesses:    User interface could be improved. Very processor intensive (slow on slow PC's). No Mac version.

Bottom Line:
    ver 2.5 Pro. Eliminates device "noise" from digital images. Does so without damaging the image. You can create device profiles for any digital capture device (cameras, scanners). Fantastic results.

Purchased At:   Website

Submitted by Q B a Expert from UK

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    Effectively removes noise while leaving image data intact. Can use saved noise profiles to speed up workflow. Inexpensive considering how effective it is.

Weaknesses:    Quite slow

Bottom Line:
    The ultimate noise reduction software, in my view.

Stand alone application, or, with pro+ version, Photoshop Plug-in as well.

Simple to use; works by analysing image noise in all three colour channels, then subtracting it from the image data - which it does without serious damage to the useful information.

Simple interface, batch processing function, and more advanced versions work on 16 bit data. You can create and save device noise profiles for re-use later. Library of ready built profiles avialable on the Neat Website (which is worth a visit for more information).

Purchased At:   www.neatimage.com

Similar Products Used:   Various.

In camera noise reduction at night?

I know I've read that with high ISO and night shots it's supposed to be a good idea to turn on the in camera noise reduction (Canon XSi in my case). What about at ISO 100? I'm going to be testing out my tripod at night finally tonight and wasn't sure if I need the in camera noise reduction or not. ... Read More »

Best noise reduction program?

Sometimes 800 to 1600 is acceptable for noise on my D80 and sometimes its not. What noise reduction program would you recommend? I know noise ninja gets good reviews. Others? I'd spend up to 100 dollars if I have to but would prefer less. Thank you!Read More »

in camera noise reduction or not?

I shoot xfine jpeg most of the time. Sometimes I shoot at a relatively high iso for low light conditions and get lots of noise even with the a700’s NR set to high. Would it be better if I used in camera noise reduction on (high setting) or just turn it off all together and instead use nois ... Read More »

Turn off noise reduction?

When shooting in daylight with my 510 at low to medium ISO, will I get improved image sharpness if I turn off noise reduction? It seems as if I read that suggestion somewhere, but for the life of me cannot recall where.Read More »

Noise reduction software

Does anyone have any recommendations for noise reduction software?Read More »