Home | Reviews | Digital Photography Software | Scanning Software | Hamrick

Hamrick VueScan Scanning Software

3.27/5 (33 Reviews)

VueScan is an inexpensive program that works with most scanners to produce high-quality scans that have excellent color fidelity. It takes advantage of the advanced hardware capabilities of most scanners on the market today, and helps you do batch scanning while at the same time producing color-balanced and cropped images. Available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS 8/9/X

Submitted by Craig Janeway a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2015

Strengths:    Totally configurable. Allows complete access to the scanning hardware settings.

Weaknesses:    Must learn how to scan and make proper settings choices.

Bottom Line:
There is a learning curve with Vuescan Pro. Reading "The Vuescan Bible" is a help, but it won't teach one how to scan, just the settings to use initially for different applications. Also, don't expect the software to hold your hand and simply press a button to get good negative film scans. Vuescan Pro is completely user configurable, which also mean completely user screwer-upable. Read, study, and practice, and learn what settings to use and what not to use. But more importantly, after finding the settings you like, want, need, make an options file and save these options as a set of settings you'll use for a specific task. The hardest part is hitting preview, dragging the crop box edges to inside the frames, and right clicking on the gray background outside the preview scans, or on something gray or white in that frame you are working on to set color balance. The setting for that frame of crop and color adjustments will be save as you move the crop box to the next frame to do the same thing; and so on, and so forth, until you have adjusted/corrected to each frames needs. Then just hit "scan." The hard part is first learning something about scanning, so you can make the right setting choices for the options file creation. "The Vuescan Bible" has these settings, and you can read about what people like to do over in the Flickr group https://www.flickr.com/groups/isf_scanner/

Submitted by RB a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2015

Strengths:    This software has great potential, as the user interface is very clean, straightforward, and easy to understand.

Weaknesses:    Ed Hamrick, the owner, is an arrogant a**. He is horribly rude and nasty. He thinks all of his customers are stupid and is not shy about saying so. He has outlined his business practices in a recent email on April 13, 2015:

"Here's some background information about how I answer e-mails.

I get about 100 e-mails every day, and in the past 15 years
I've probably gotten 500,000 e-mails. I try to answer most
e-mails within a day, although longer e-mails may not get
answered for a month or two, or maybe not at all.

I have a simple process - I read each e-mail and if the response
can be a sentence or two, I answer it immediately. If it's a
software problem report, I generally look at the vuescan.log file
immediately, and if there isn't a vuescan.log file, I request that
one be sent. Without a vuescan.log file, there isn't really anything
I can do to diagnose problems.

A few other points:

1) I never look at the e-mail address that an e-mail is from.
2) I never look back at old e-mails - all e-mails are deleted when answered.
3) If there are multiple questions in an e-mail, I answer the first question
and then delete the e-mail.
4) If someone sends multiple e-mails in a day, I only look at the most recent
and delete the rest without reading them.
5) If an e-mail is rude or demanding, I stop reading it and delete it.
6) My answers often appear brusque - but I just try to answer directly.
7) My answers sometimes appear rude - but I don't have time to write a few
paragraphs of polite and soothing sentences - I just get to the point.
8) Many of my responses are form letters - because I get the same
questions over and over. The most common is "How do I download VueScan?".

I hope this information is useful to you.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Bottom Line:
Do not buy! There are glitches that cause the program to freeze. There is no tech support whatsoever, as confirmed by Mr. Hamrick. He simply does not care. You only have the database for tech support. It is pretty good for a database support system, but it falls short in addressing the problems that I faced with the program. The PDF interleave feature does not work properly. You also have to click the "scan" button several times to get it to start. Lots of potential to be a great program with a few fixes, but the owner does not care and you will not have any support when you do run into these problems.

Purchased At:   online at manufactur

Similar Products Used:   Readiris Pro, Windows OEM scanning software, Okidata scanning software.

Submitted by Jhony D a Casual

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2015

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    Evil software

Bottom Line:
I had have plustek opticfilm 8200i ai with bundled with silverfast 8. Due to curiousity I install free vuescan software. After I tried scanning a couple of film I decide to stay with silverfast. When I turn on silverfast the program did not able to detect opticfilm scanner. I tried several times but still can not detect the scanner. Then I uninstall vuescan but still can not detect scanner. The problem still persist even after I reinstall opticfim software and silverfast software. Now I left with scanner that can not be used

Similar Products Used:   Silverfast

Submitted by Ray Battersby a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2014

Strengths:    When is a FREE UPGRADE not a free upgrade?

Weaknesses:    When it’s a VueScan free upgrade

Bottom Line:
The software works better than the standard Canon interface software but never, never, NEVER press the Free Upgrade button!

This is Ed Hamrick's way of extorting regular cash out of his customers by changing your perfectly sound point-for version with a newer version that's plastered with Hamrick Marketing Labels. Ok if the scan is to be seen only by you but if a client or an employer is to see the scans, you look a bit cheap-skate.

This is a very crude and nasty trick for Ed Hamrick to play on his valuable customers.

Clearly, Ed Hamrick doesn't value his customers.

Purchased At:   Hamrick website

Submitted by Anna Manna a Professional

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2014

Strengths:    Supports my Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400
Creates proper DNG RAW files

Weaknesses:    Ugly and dated graphical user interface. Cryptic. Almost unusable.
The same non-working film profiles hang in there year after year.
Seems to have updates like every two weeks but nothing really seems to have changed past 8 years I've used VueScan.
Intimidating counter when purchasing VueScan. Tip, if you miss the "10% discount", just change the web browser you're using or empty cookies, etc and it'll start from zero.

Bottom Line:
I use this a lot. Scanning mainly BW negatives.
Batch scanning could be better when using flatbed, hard to "automatize" it properly. Same goes for cropping stuff, some artificial intelligence could be applied to automatic cropping.
It's good for basic scanning and supports many older scanners too.
Mr. Hamrick really good use some help with the code (maybe open source it a bit?) and the gui.
Still - This is the only option for many scanners and operating systems. I'm grateful VueScan exists.

Purchased At:   VueScan website

Canoscan fs2720u vs Epson v700 with vuescan

Hi, I am embarking on digitizing vast amounts of slides and 35mm negatives. I have a Canoscan fs2720u scanner with Vuescan pro as my software. My quandry is to go this route(not concerned about time investment) or get a Epson V700. Many of the negatives have scratches and or dust. I also use Apertu ... Read More »

Vuescan and Monaco EZ problems...

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Optix/MonacoEZ bundle yesterday. However, I am getting odd results when scanning out of Vuescan. Before using EZ Color, the scans out of Vuescan were very nice. Beautiful colors. However, now they are sometimes washed out or the contrast is all wonky. I figure ... Read More »

Hamrick VueScan Software Update - Press Release

DETAILS - More scanners supported - New auto photo-cropping feature - More RAW files supported - Improved performance Phoenix, AZ July 14, 2004 -- Hamrick Software, a leading developer of scanning software for consumers and professionals, has released VueScan 8.0.9, of its award-winning pro ... Read More »

Hamrick Software ships VueScan 8.0 - Press Release

[CENTER][B]Hamrick Software ships VueScan 8.0 for Mac OS X and Windows[/B][/CENTER] Major revision of award-winning application adds improved user interface and support for raw files for 109 digital cameras [B]Phoenix, AZ--- May 12, 2004[/B]--- Hamrick Software, a leading developer of scanning ... Read More »