Home | Reviews | Digital Photography Software | Scanning Software | Hamrick

Hamrick VueScan Scanning Software

3.37/5 (30 Reviews)

VueScan is an inexpensive program that works with most scanners to produce high-quality scans that have excellent color fidelity. It takes advantage of the advanced hardware capabilities of most scanners on the market today, and helps you do batch scanning while at the same time producing color-balanced and cropped images. Available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS 8/9/X

Submitted by Ray Battersby a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2014

Strengths:    When is a FREE UPGRADE not a free upgrade?

Weaknesses:    When it’s a VueScan free upgrade

Bottom Line:
The software works better than the standard Canon interface software but never, never, NEVER press the Free Upgrade button!

This is Ed Hamrick's way of extorting regular cash out of his customers by changing your perfectly sound point-for version with a newer version that's plastered with Hamrick Marketing Labels. Ok if the scan is to be seen only by you but if a client or an employer is to see the scans, you look a bit cheap-skate.

This is a very crude and nasty trick for Ed Hamrick to play on his valuable customers.

Clearly, Ed Hamrick doesn't value his customers.

Purchased At:   Hamrick website

Submitted by Anna Manna a Professional

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2014

Strengths:    Supports my Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400
Creates proper DNG RAW files

Weaknesses:    Ugly and dated graphical user interface. Cryptic. Almost unusable.
The same non-working film profiles hang in there year after year.
Seems to have updates like every two weeks but nothing really seems to have changed past 8 years I've used VueScan.
Intimidating counter when purchasing VueScan. Tip, if you miss the "10% discount", just change the web browser you're using or empty cookies, etc and it'll start from zero.

Bottom Line:
I use this a lot. Scanning mainly BW negatives.
Batch scanning could be better when using flatbed, hard to "automatize" it properly. Same goes for cropping stuff, some artificial intelligence could be applied to automatic cropping.
It's good for basic scanning and supports many older scanners too.
Mr. Hamrick really good use some help with the code (maybe open source it a bit?) and the gui.
Still - This is the only option for many scanners and operating systems. I'm grateful VueScan exists.

Purchased At:   VueScan website

Submitted by Phillip Grace a Casual

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2014

Strengths:    I bought a new MacBook Pro which required a newer VueScan program. Mr. Hamrick quickly & politely refunded my $50 when it didn't work.

Weaknesses:    I could not get it to work. Granted I'm not a computer whiz, but this newer version seemed very complicated...more suited to a professional computer user. I couldn't even find many of Mr. Hamrick's guidelines listed to remedy my inability to make it work.

Bottom Line:
See above, but my older version worked like a charm. This new version is complicated. Followed the instructions, but none of them worked.

Purchased At:   On Line

Submitted by Bob Butler a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Strengths:    Being an amature and old, too, I have a problem understanding printed detailed instructions. That being said, here's my experience with Ed Hamrick and VueScan:
I bought the
Vue Scan basic, then later had problems twice. I wrote Ed Hamrick after both troublesome experiences, explaining what, when, and how. Both times he responded, then told me what was needed. I approached him with a positive attitude and he answered me in kind. I use VueScan often and may up-grade.

Weaknesses:    I've yet to run into any software that was so simple that even idiots could use it. Most require a person to have a minimum of intelligence, patience, and desire; those who don't ... won't.

Bottom Line:
VueScan is worth more than the cost.

Submitted by brian a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2014

Strengths:    A good piece of kit, allows old scanner to be used with W7

Weaknesses:    Vuescan not very helpful

Bottom Line:
The web site offers $10 discount for purchases within 59mins but I could not find how to get this discount. asked how and was given instructions. of course by this time the hour was up so no discount. Annoyed, I asked to cancel sale and this was refused

Canoscan fs2720u vs Epson v700 with vuescan

Hi, I am embarking on digitizing vast amounts of slides and 35mm negatives. I have a Canoscan fs2720u scanner with Vuescan pro as my software. My quandry is to go this route(not concerned about time investment) or get a Epson V700. Many of the negatives have scratches and or dust. I also use Apertu ... Read More »

Vuescan and Monaco EZ problems...

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Optix/MonacoEZ bundle yesterday. However, I am getting odd results when scanning out of Vuescan. Before using EZ Color, the scans out of Vuescan were very nice. Beautiful colors. However, now they are sometimes washed out or the contrast is all wonky. I figure ... Read More »

Hamrick VueScan Software Update - Press Release

DETAILS - More scanners supported - New auto photo-cropping feature - More RAW files supported - Improved performance Phoenix, AZ July 14, 2004 -- Hamrick Software, a leading developer of scanning software for consumers and professionals, has released VueScan 8.0.9, of its award-winning pro ... Read More »

Hamrick Software ships VueScan 8.0 - Press Release

[CENTER][B]Hamrick Software ships VueScan 8.0 for Mac OS X and Windows[/B][/CENTER] Major revision of award-winning application adds improved user interface and support for raw files for 109 digital cameras [B]Phoenix, AZ--- May 12, 2004[/B]--- Hamrick Software, a leading developer of scanning ... Read More »