Home | Reviews | Flash and Lighting | Flashes | Canon

Canon Speedlite 580EX Flashes

4 star rating
                      4 / 5 (6 Reviews)

• DedicationDedicated
    Guide Number190 @ ISO 100 (105mm.)
    Flashe TypeRegular Flash
    Zoom Range24 - 105 mm.
    Mount TypeHot Shoe Mount
    Power SourceExternal, Battery Pack, 8 x AA Batteries
    TTL MeteringWith TTL Metering
    MPN9445a002

Canon's top-of-the-line Speedlite is smaller and lighter, yet provides a bit more power and significantly faster recycling. A new Select Dial makes changes, like exposure compensation, a breeze. It now covers lenses as wide as 14mm, and has new features for digital SLRs - including the ability to transmit precise flash color temperature information, and vary the zoom setting to match the imaging sensor.

Submitted by Tim Holyoake a Expert

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Reliable. Fast, Accurate, Light weight. Adaptable and versatile.
In spite of the price tag , this is great value for money. It performs what I had previously thought to be miricals.. You may have guessed this already, I like this one.

Weaknesses:    These are not given away free to all people whose initials are T.H.

Bottom Line:
This is NOT a studio strobe pack. This IS a strobe which fits to a Canon camera and is easily portable.
I have read the reviews and obviously this product is either the bees knees or some other part of its anatomy. Mine luckily is the best addon strobe that I have ever come across.
quite simply mind blowing.

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Minolta , Panasonic and Canon strobes (Electronic and "Flash Bulb") over the last 35 years or so.

Submitted by J. Silva a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    very powerful, fast recycling time, good on batteries

Weaknesses:    very inconsistent, poor performence for this price range

Bottom Line:
I purchased this flash more than a year ago in what I thought was an upgrade move from my Sunpak 555 and boy was I wrong. This piece of junk was so poor,
inconsistent and unpredictable in its performance, that at one point I considered
selling all my Canon gear and return to Nikon. I read the instructions several times and I applied all the posible settings. Belive me it was almost impossible to shoot two properly exposed pictures in sequence. Some were under some were
over just a few were right. I had to do so much work in Photoshop that finally
I had to give up. The only way the flash could be use was in manual mode but then again that was my 555 was for. I had run into other colleagues with other
Canon camea models, mine is D Mark II some have the 20D others the same as mine and those using the 580 have similar experience.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Submitted by Armando Raul a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    Max guide number of 190, But our lab could only get 160 @ 10feet.

Weaknesses:    Weak ratchets in head. Not dependable. Not for the pros. 100% plastic.

Bottom Line:
This has got to be the worst fast ever made buy Canon. At the studio I work at they bought two of the 580 flash units. One of the flashes started to act up buy underexposing some of the images. Not a big deal at first, but a few weeks later it got worse! It seemed that 1/3 of the images would be under exposed. The unit was sent off to Canon who found nothing wrong with it. But the flash started to act up the day it got back from the shop. So we started to use it as a backup for our old 550s.
Then a month or two later, Our other 580 fried on one of the photographers. This story gets worse! In order to do a gig we needed to replace the fried one so we rented one; since no one in town had one of the units for sale. That unit took a crap on us too!!!

Similar Products Used:   550ex, 420ex, 540ez, sunpak PZ5000

Submitted by Rick_R a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    Fast recycle times, ability to sync at faster shutter speeds,

Weaknesses:    Noisy zoom motor (just being picky)

Bottom Line:
This is the best flash Canon currently sells and it seamlessly works with all the ETTL and ETTL II flash systems. The ability to have fast flash sync really helps in fast moving sports (Downhill MTB Races). The zooming flash head allows the flash to use only the amount of flash that is needed. A very useful add-on is the additional battery pack which cuts the recycle time to almost nothing.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon 550 Flash

Submitted by don85259 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent portait exposures, very little over or underexposure with this flash. Much superior to pop-up flash on camera.

Weaknesses:    Still can't quite fill a room - need independent lighting for that.

Bottom Line:
Excellent flash unit, integrates seamlessly with Canon 20d, ETTL-II metering seems to work like a charm most of the time. Expensive but worth it if you want the best integration.

Purchased At:   Ritz Cameras

Similar Products Used:   Only stock flash units in cameras (pop-up flash).

Is Canon Speedlite 580EX II compatible with Canon 450D?????Help

Hi I have Canon 450D and I have bought Canon Speedlite 580EX II for it and I am still waiting for it , but some told me that it is not compatible with my canon camera Is this true??????????? Or it works well with Canon 450D thanksRead More »

Speedlite 580EX II And T1i

I was wondering if you can fire the 580EX II from my T1i body, wireless? Get what i mean? Thanks in advance!Read More »

can we use canon speedlite 580EX II with Nikon d7000??????????

hi i have received a gift from my friend canon speedlite 580EX II , and i have nikon d7000, i want to know if the canon flash is compatible with Nikon d7000????????/// thanksRead More »

Speedlite 580ex and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

I read this on the Web regarding the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 and Canon Speedlites: "...the AF does not work right when using an external flash (such as the 550EX or 580EX) and the AF Assist Lamp on a 20D (don't know about other bodies)." Does anybody know if this is true?Read More »