Home | Reviews | Flash and Lighting | Flashes | Metz

Metz 45CL-4 Flash Flashes

5/5 (18 Reviews)

• DedicationDedicated
    Guide Number148 @ ISO 100 (35mm.)
    Flashe TypeRegular Flash
    Zoom Range35 mm.
    Mount TypeHandle Mount
    BounceWith Bounce
    Power SourceExternal, Battery Pack
    TTL MeteringWith TTL Metering
    Weight38.4 oz.
    MPNmz5125

45 Cl-4 Digital Handle Mount Flash. Includes empty battery cluster. A trusted workhorse redesigned for the digital age! Tough professional use calls for maximum flash power and devices you can rely on. With the new, ultra high performance digital handheld flash guns from Metz you now have reliable lighting support during all your digital photo shootings, too. Guide number 45 for ISO 100/21° and 35 mm focal length.

Submitted by Ramesh a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Very reliable. Never failed me. Consistent colour temp throughout. Predictable flash output in TTL. Internal sensor works fine (even without TTL accessories). Battery last longer than EOS Speedlight.

Weaknesses:    Metz's battery packs are very expensive.

Cannot use NiCAD or NiMH in alkaline battery holder according to Metz (I never had any problems with it but can be rewired to suit)

Small reflector should be able to controll independantly (But not a weak point though)

Bottom Line:
I bought my 45-CT5 2 years ago from ebay to experiment with my film camera EOS 500N and EOS 300D. I already had a speedlight 430EZ. Since I didn't have a PC socket in my camera and SCA adapter with it. I used it as a slave unit for bounce flash. It never failed me. I have noticed colour temp is very good compared to my 430EZ. Batteries last longer than EZ and Flash output is great. I was using NiMH 2000mA in Alkaline battery holder (Which I shouldn't have done it but still works fine. Now change the flash wiring so it's ok).

Now I bought another nearly new Metz 45 CL4 with NiCAD pack from eBay again to use with my new EOS 40D. Both Metz are used as low cost studio lights for portraits and Single unit for out door (I shoot stage plays and functions a lot for family and friends) I always use it in manual setting. So didn't bother to get any TTL accessories for the flash heads. I shoot minimum of 100 frames per session.

Finally, It's a great kit to have in your camera bag if you need a reliable flash. Buy the kit with NiMH pack and charger or modify the flash to use NiMH in Alkaline holder (Cheaper option)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Sunpak Hammerhead (Can't remember the model, used in 1988)

Cobra 700

EOS 540EZ

EOS 430EZ

Submitted by Rana Tanveer a Expert

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    The power, colour temprature, designe, build quality, two reflectore, perfect TTL exposure, auto mode and every thing.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
The 45CL is a perfect tool for stuning colour. I have been using 550ex with my EOS1v and results were OK. The advantage of this flash over other dedicated units are two reflectors and colour temprature. The skin tones are perfect and the bounce and fill in flash does its wondrs. I baught a new unit and had a bumpy start.I used SCA3012 adaptor and when I put my camera in Auto (P) mode the apperture used to be locked at f22 and shutter speed locked at 1/250 (blinking). I contacted Metz in UK and they were very helpfull. The unit was faulty so I returned it and bough another used one. The result of my fisrt wedding shoot was much better then 550EX. This flash has become my favorite from its first result. The power is sufficient to cope with any situation and unit is very easy to use. In TTL mode it gives me 6 rool of 36exp with one charge of 2100 mah rechargable battery pack. Auto mode is another advantage. Simply this is the best flash one can buy. The 60ct4 is biger brother of this gem, but with separete 2-3 Killos to carry on your shoulders is a cosiderable load for a day lone wedding shoot.

Similar Products Used:   Minolta flash, Canon 550ex

Submitted by jcduran a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Strengths:
- Sturdy, RELIABLE!
- Fast recycle time, enough power for most uses
- Bounce/swivel head with secondary lamp
- Many modes to suit your needs
- A standard in Europe for wedding photography
- Repair and parts service

Weaknesses:    - Heavy and bulky, may not fit everybody's needs. Not just the unit to carry always in the bag.
- Old-fashioned NI-CD battery with "memory" effect. and the charger is not intelligent, you have to remember when to disconnect it.
- The accesories are expensive. But this is true for all brands, isn't it?

Bottom Line:
I bought this flash unit together with the 3402 SCA (for Nikon) and the TTL cable with AF assist light. I was working then as a semi-professional (extra incomings taking photos at weddings banquets). It has never failed.
Sure, this flash is heavy, bulky and a bit expensive (with all the TTL accesories), but it's reliable and very suitable for the job. The recycle time is very short in usual conditions (so you're always ready to shot), the bounce/swivel head with secondary lamp is a must then you have a white ceiling above you, the metering (in auto mode) is very acurate and predictable, the rechargeable battery saves you money, and you can also use standard alkaline batteries when the main battery drains off.
The arm places the head away from the lens axis, preventing red-eye effect and so the lighting is less flat.
I usually use it in auto mode, changing the aperture to fit the light bounce. I rarely use TTL (as I get less predictable results), and the TTL mode supported in this flash is analog (old) TTL, not supporting the newer more advanced TTL modes such as 3D with preflash. But TTL works reliably, anyway, and it is a saver when you need to work really fast without having much time to thik, and specially when using filters.
The AF assist light accesory is a great help when focusing in low light situations such as a dark church.

Purchased At:   http://www.fotoganga

Similar Products Used:   Metz 32 MZ-3 + SCA 3401 (red-eye effect!)
Cullmann DC-25 + SCA 346
F80 built-in pop-up flash (just a toy)

Submitted by Longbow a Professional from S.F. CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    Good power; TTL flash is superior for critical photography, where results determine your paycheck; bounce/swivel head, and Omni-Bounce has unit to fit.

CL/4 has a bit better control panel layout than CT/4, otherwise they seem interchangeable from users standpoint.

Seeem to last forever, work as they're supposed to; what's not to like?

By the way--someone commented that they are not to be used with Quantom Turbo batteries...nonsense!!! I, and almost every wedding photographer this side of Pluto use that combo as standard gear. Like I said earlier, 40,000 pops and still running, and every one of them with the Turbo!

Weaknesses:    When I think of one, I'll post it.

Bottom Line:
This reviews both the Metz 45CL/4 and older 45CT/4.

Used the 45CT/4 for tons of wedding and location shoots...figure about 40,000 pops and still going strong.

Replaced it with the 45CL after noticing some burnt looking discoloration of the bulb and mirrored reflector surrounding it. Functioning was still perfect, but weddings are no place to have doubts in equipment or confidence, so obtained the 45CL/4 as main unit and retired the 45CT/4 to non-wedding use.

Submitted by a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Strengths:    Power, accuracy, build quality

Weaknesses:    Price - you could get four Vivitar 283s instead.

Bottom Line:
Nothing to criticise about this gun at all! It has plenty of power and the auto sensor is pretty accurate. You don't really need the TTL adaptor. Buy the NiCd version, which comes with a spare battery cluster for normal alkaline cells in case your NiCds run out.