Home | Reviews | Flash and Lighting | Flashes | Quantum Instruments

Quantum Instruments Q-Flash Model T2 Flashes

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Qflash uses parabolic reflectors for softer, cleaner light. The reflectors are removable for bare-bulb lighting. The flash head bounces and swivels. Flash control is either automatic, TTL (with optional adapters), manual, or stroboscopic.

Submitted by Mario Moschel a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Nearly everything.

Weaknesses:    Prices in europe, especially for reflectors.

Bottom Line:
Great light to shoot with: strongly built, small and flexible with Quantum's Turbo Batteries, easy to use and powerful. I used ti use some Elinchrom monolights erlier, but since I own my Qflashes, I never touched the monolights.

I like the Qflash (I also have three similiar Sunpak 120J flashes which give a fine light too, but are not as powerful and strong built like the Qflashes), especially used with Pocket Wizard and Sekonic 358 flashmeter with built-in radio transmitter. No wires, no big batteries, just a lightstand, a Qflash and lots of power.

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   Lumedyne System, 3xSunpak 120J, Nikon SB 800, Nikon SB 80DX, 2xCanon 580EX, Canon 430 EX, Metz 60CT4, Elinchrom D-Lites

Submitted by allblood a Intermediate from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Everything!!!

Weaknesses:    LCD info a little bit crowd for me (not a major complaint)

Bottom Line:
This is a superb flash with very good quality light: from direct light to bare bulb, the exposure is very accurate. However, the flash is not easy to store in a bag and carry around because of the reflector and the flash tube. I decide to leave it on my flash bracket all the time since I have to use it with my flash bracket anyway. The flash balances very well on my bracket. It's not very heavy and it's not as tall as my Metz 45.

Since I have used a Quantum Turbo battery with my Canon and Vivitar flashes before, I am familiar with the charging speed and it certainly works very well with the Quantum T2 flash.

Since I am using it with a 645 camera, the radially symmetric light coverage is a big advantage since I don't need to worry about the angle of coverage difference when I flip the camera 90 degrees on my bracket rotator.

The only (very minor) complaint I have is the LCD screen interface. There are quite a lot of information on the screen, including the exposure confirmation info. However, you need to really read it to see it. I prefer a simpler "green light" style for the flash confiration since that's one (and usually the only) infor I always check during a busy shooting assignment. However, (as far as I know) no "green light" design will indicate you are getting too close and result in overexposed. Afterall, maybe I just need some time to get used to it.

Purchased At:   KEH (used)

Similar Products Used:   Metz 45CL4
Vivitar 285HV
Canon Speedlite 550EX

Submitted by DerKea302 a Professional from Newark, Delaware

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    Everything
Ues Turbo and Turbo Z Batteries, and Lumedyne

Weaknesses:    non really

Bottom Line:
I find the Qflash to be the best Pro flash unit I have ever used. Try it with the bare buld enhancer gold and you never go back to regular flash again. It's a great flash for weddings and Fashion (etc,etc). And now Quantum has made it even better with the New Qflash T2D/w the QTTL adapters. Since I use Canon's EOS system I'm having my Qflash up graded to the T2D system with E-TTL flash metering. I also love the Turbo battery combo.

Purchased At:   Camera Care Philly,