Home | Reviews | Flash and Lighting | Flashes | Sunpak

Power Source4 x AA Batteries, External, Battery Pack
    TTL MeteringWith TTL Metering
    Weight18.7 oz.
    MPN0500b

The 120JTTL is the first parabolic reflector flash that offers through-the-lens flash dedication capability with today’s most popular 35mm and medium format cameras.
  • Guide no: 45/150 (m/ft) @ ISO 100
  • Tilt and swivel movement

Submitted by sparklephoto757 a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight , fast recycle time , easy on power ,versitile , Never been in the shop after 4 years

Weaknesses:    none if you know how to take care of your equipment

Bottom Line:
    I puchased this item for wedding photography . I shot my first wedding and have not look back . I power it with Quantum turbo which last me all day . the light from my sunpak 120 jttl on my Nikon D200 is unreal . Here's some infomation . I use Paul C Buff cyber Sync to trigger the light on a justrite bracket this bracket standa by itself . Here's something else I love about this unit it takes AA batteries and the Q Flash dont . If you are into strobist photography this is the right flash , Check this out they are selling 60 cm portable softbox for about $45.00 on ebay and you can use 120jttl as a studio strob outside the pictures come out great . I use a Nikon 80-200 2.8 lens on a mono pod with Cyber Sync to fire them .
    In weddings the only time I need to diffuse my light is when I get up close to photograph the toast and cake cutting .

Purchased At:   adorama

Similar Products Used:   Nikon SB800 SB600 SB28 SUNPAK 522 SUNPAK 544 SUNPAK 622

Submitted by Mike B a Professional

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Like every Sunpak legend, it's as reliable as Grandma's apple pie!
    AA Battery powered.
    Fantastic light quality.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I'll never forget the elation stumbling across the 120J while looking for a portable sysrem. At the time, the Broncolor Mobil hed just been released and for more than 5000 GBP, I could have a battery and a couple of heads. I looked at the 120j thinking, it's the same thing! only better, it's lighter, I can replace the batteries as many times as I need uring a shoot and the reflector is in fact bigger. It may not be the most robust piece of kit out there, but then I'm not a combat photographer.

Similar Products Used:   Similar? you must be kidding.

Submitted by Jeff a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent light quality. Light weight (by comparison to Quantum). Works on a variety of battery packs or 4 AA batteries. Excellent price. Just compare it to any other Parabolic reflector flash on the market (i.e. Lumedyne, Norman, Quantum, etc.) So, don't expect a $1000.00+ flash for $200.00 and you won't be disapointed!

Weaknesses:    The flash head may swivel on you when you don't expect it to. Just check it's alignment befoire you shoot.

Bottom Line:
    I agree with many of the above appraisals. I also own the Quantum T4D which does appear to be a far better built unit. However, I have used the Sunpak for over two years prior to purchasing the Quantum and, although it did feel somewhat weak, I never had any problem as far as damage is concerned. Yes, you do have to keep your eye on it so that it doesn't swivel on you. But, it's about about 1/5 the price of the Quantum and produces the same light! I had to return my Quantum for repair within the first year (they handled it quickly, no complaints) but sometimes looks, and feels, are deceiving. Never had to put the Sunpak in the shop!

Purchased At:   b&h photo

Similar Products Used:   Quantum T4D

Submitted by David Bindle a Professional from Saskatoon

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Strengths:    Powerfull, reflector light nice, ability to use bare bulb, fast recycling with TRPAKIIa
    TTL with AF assist light

Weaknesses:    Seems a bit flimsy, hope I don't develope weak detent problems with swivel and tilt...
    TTL adapter is weakest link

Bottom Line:
    I've gone from a conventional flash, 380ex, 430ez, 550ex to now using the 120JTTL with my Canon system. Wow... the quality of light is really quite an improvment. And when I can utilize a low white ceiling and walls... the bare bulb is fantastic. I've only just started using it for weddings, but so far the results are great.
    I am leery about the reliability of the unit due to its lightweight build. At the moment, the detents of the swivel and tilt are firm enough, and I hope that they don't loosen too much with time. It would be nice if the flash foot on the CA1-AF AF TTL module would push just a hair further into the Canon off shoe cord and that it had a locking pin that came down when rotating the fastening knob. I have about twenty weddings coming up in the nex 6 months, so I might have a different opinion in 6 months... but with the first month of use... I'm enjoying it... even if I'm treating it gently...

Purchased At:   KEH

Similar Products Used:   None - but for the price and TTL AF features... it's kind of unique

Submitted by Kenneth Brown a Professional from New Hamburg, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    triggering system is suspect, very hard on batteries, bounce and swivel is too delicate (easy to move - detents should be stronger)

Bottom Line:
    When this unit works, it does a reasonable job, but it is too flimsy and unreliable for serious professional work. I would recommend a bare bulb flash for all serious people photographers, but I cannot recommend this one - it's just too unreliable.

Similar Products Used:   No other bare bulb system.