Home | Reviews | Flash and Lighting | Light Meters | Pentax

Pentax Spotmeter V Light Meters

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

• 1º measuring angle
  • Range: EV1-EV19
  • EV scale with needle readout
  • 1/4000 to 4 minutes shutter speed range

Submitted by irivlin a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible accuracy.
    Lovely ergonomics
    Nice bright viewfinder.
    What is in the spot window is *really* what is being metered. (You could say it was spot on...)
    As soon as you push the reading button, I love the way the needle flies up to the reading and doesn't waver.

Weaknesses:    I've tried hard to think of one but I just can't this meter is nigh on perfect.

Bottom Line:
    I have a Minolta digital spotmeter and although it's very accurate, I somehow just don't like the digital interface. I bought the Pentax Spotmeter V (being also the owner of the Pentax Spotmeter 1). To my mind, the irritating ergonomics of the Spotmeter 1 have all been addressed. (The silly 2 battery compartment, the two range metering). The Spotmeter V is absolutely in agreement with the Minolta digital spotmeter and just feels better to use. (This is purely my personal opinion - maybe others would feel the Minolta works better for them). The illumination is clever. The light just illuminates the 1-5 range. Of course, when it's lighter than than number 5, you don't need the internal illuminator... Someone's put thought into that. Am I happy I bought it - no - I'm absolutely delighted. I now carry an 18% Kodak card and take readings off that and when the situation dictates, I take spotreadings of highlights and shadows and average them. No surprises when I get the flms back - they are all just as I expected them. I have a Pentax K5 digital camera and find that (hard to believe, I'm sure) that using the Spotmeter V, I get as good as (or sometimes better than) the Pentax's own built in meter. If you can find a nice little used Spotmeter V, grab it - you will be thrilled with the way your photography takes off. Even if it costs more than a bang up to date digital spotmeter, get the Pentax instead. You may give up a few bells and whistles but at the end of the day, you'll get briliant results with the Pentax. - It doesn't meter flash but IMHO only dedicated flash meters should be used to meter flash.

Purchased At:   Queensland, Australi

Similar Products Used:   Minolta digital spotmeter F

Submitted by Rita Dibert a Professional

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    Accuracy
    Easy to find battery
    Easy to use and hold
    Good asa range

Weaknesses:    Once got into trouble when someone thought I was using a gun...just make sure your camera is in evidence! :)

Bottom Line:
    This is a great meter for medium and large format and for cking in-camera meters for accuracy. Capable of reading the smallest shift in shadow light it is definitely easier to read in daylight(see other reviews) but I have used for Tungsten slides with Tota lights over the years with no complaints and no reciprocity issues.
    Have just found a used one for my students and they are delighted! My own is going strong after more than 30 years of on and off use. If you can find one grab it!

Purchased At:   Calumet

Similar Products Used:   several electronic models which just don;t compare and tend to be overly complex

Submitted by David Pennington a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    Stability, precision; also, strong construction. Optically dound, uses a pentaprism.

Weaknesses:    Non, really. The older model had two buttons, one for high light level, other for low levels. It was a nuisance. The current model has only one button and is fine.

Bottom Line:
    I is a great piece of fine machinery. Very precise. I stopped using it after digital came, but now I am experimenting to use it with digital. The 'jump' on the highlights can be reasonably previewed. Also, being analog rather gives us an edge on feeling the light vary continuosly. Very good.

Purchased At:   B&H - ten years ago

Similar Products Used:   Gossen pro SBC with adapter for 5°

Submitted by HymanGlick a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Very easy to use. Simply pick the EV you want.

Weaknesses:    None really - it's style is a little old and clunkey but, then that is the idea of going back to film. Overheard by me as a client was telling club member friend..."He uses film you know"

Bottom Line:
    I had a spotmeter years ago. Since becoming digital for the last 10 years. I have not needed. As low and mid cost weddings have started to dry up. I have gotten into very large family portraits - 60" and up and gone back to Hasselblad and Mamiya Film.
    I remembered this meter from years ago and found one on ebay for buy it now of $180.
    So far it has worked like a charm. I like to meter the highlights and shadow for about 3 to 1. It will meter on the fly and change readings as you move along the subjects.
    I couldn't be happier. Great tool as you can visualize in your mind how the image will look without the help of digital back or polaroid. There are no suprises when you return to the lab for your proofs.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Sekonic 358 flash meter with pocket wizard for digital photography.

Submitted by VanMeter David a Intermediate from Hilliard, OH

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Simple to use and dead on after Zone VI conversion

Weaknesses:    Size is cumbersome but I find it very ergonomic and difficult to lose. Low light lamp is less than adequate.

Bottom Line:
    Everyone I have let try this meter has fallen in love with it. The meter performs in all weather and temperatures. And most importantly, it is accurate!

Purchased At:   Cord Camera