Home | Reviews | Flash and Lighting | Monolights | JTL

• Power settings: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full
  • 150 watt modeling lamp

Submitted by JTL Customer Service Department

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2014

Strengths:    general application for photo & video industry

Weaknesses:    new design for new requirement of market

Bottom Line:
    We appreciate our consumers providing us with their reviews about their experiences with JTL products. We will be working hard to optimize our product design and production, improve the product quality after-sale services as well. Regarding the issues associated with the reviews we would like to make explainations as the follows.

1. JTL Versalight series (300, 400, 500....) do not come with any battery (indoor AC only). The series was upgraded with entirely new design on 2010. The new models are comletely digital controlled strobe system, i.e. Versalight 301, 401, 501....

2. Only JTL Mobilight (300, 400 & 600) series are optionally included with a battery powerpack for locations (AC-DC intercahngeable). The series was upgraded as well with brand new design on 2010. The new models are Mobilight 301, 401 and 601. The life-time of the battery are 600 recharge (3 years) at 65-85 Fahrenheit.

3. The new generations of both Versalight and mobilight no longer have the quality issues any more, such as static shock, over sensitivity of optical slave and unstable operation of battery.

4. In order to reward our consumers' patronization, We are offering market our seasonal special prices on the new generations of JTL Versilight and Mobilight. Please visit JTL dealers for the details.

We do appreciate our customers sending us their views, experience, requirement and suggestions through email to service@jtlcorp.com or jtliting@msn.com, or call us at (714) 670-6626 from 9:00am till 5:00pm Mon.-Thu., 9:00am till 12:00pm Fri.

Jonathan Zhou
    Marketing Director
    JTL Coporation
    14747 Artesia Blvd. 3-G
    La Mirada, CA 90638

Submitted by Brian a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2013

Strengths:    Easy set up and consistent 5500 lighting (when it works!)

Weaknesses:    Batteries were dead after a year, had them replaced by JTL...only to last just a year. Had them replaced again at Batteries Plus and 3 years later, working well, holding a charge quite well. The uber-bad-news was that the head has been returned to JTL twice for repair...the first time the circuit card was defective and it cost me over $100 to fix. The second time, the capacitors blew (sparks everywhere...scared the heck out of the customer...very embarrassing). Just today, the same thing happened. It sounds like a machine gun was going off. I opened the unit myself and all the capacitors blew one by one. After 4 years of messing with the JTL product, I am going to throw it in the trash and shop for a better brand (which I should have done earlier).

Bottom Line:
    Trash product. Unreliable, can't trust it. If you buy this, be ready for the capacitors to blow (with a very loud shotgun sound), be ready to replace the batteries with real ones, and be prepared to spend a lot of money repairing them after the short warranty expires.

If you buy these, be sure to have another set as a backup. How do you tell a customer "sorry, the studio session is over...my studio lights just blew out"? Not fun, I've been there.

Purchased At:   Porters

Similar Products Used:   Headed for Elinchrom 500/500's. Extremely well built. Made to be last and used!

Submitted by Anna Cascio a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    Reliability
    Ease of operation
    Smooth, no jagged edges or sharp corners like some other lights
    Light weight
    No problem being strong enought to hold 6foot softbox

Weaknesses:    Expensive bulbs
    Can't dial the lighting down far enough

Bottom Line:
    I have been using the versalight 300 for about one year, always with a softbox for portraiture. It has been extremely reliable. I only wish that I could dial it down, since I can't move it far enough away from my subjects at times due to my studio size limitations(no problem if I could go below my sync speed!) Thanks for the info re: shocks- I am astounded. Thank goodness I was standing on an area rug when I did a shoot on a cement floor. I always use it as my main light, with either white lightnings or alien bees (second year photography student, so don't want to invest in more strobes until I figure out which ones are better for me). I was leaning towards buying two more versalights until I read about the shock issues.

Purchased At:   camera store, pa

Similar Products Used:   White lightings
    Alien bees

Submitted by motophoto a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Weaknesses:    Poor customer service and denial of the problem even though I read here where others have had the same issue before. AVOID THIS COMPANY

Bottom Line:
    The flash itself works well and I have not had any serious failures. However there is one serious design flaw. When used with a sync cord the flash head leaks almost 30 volts through the cord to the camera and to you if you touch anything metal on the camera and ground yourself. Such as touching anything metal or concrete. Thus it shocks you.

Purchased At:   online photo store

Submitted by TLPhotography a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2003

Strengths:    Works well when working

Weaknesses:    Too many problems with the light not working

Bottom Line:
    I have owned the JTL 300 monolight for just over a year and have returned it to the factory for repair twice. I feel that the light is not dependable and that the quality control at the factory is lacking.

Purchased At:   Garland Camera