Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Converters | Kenko

Diameter2.6 in.
    Length1.7 in.
    Weight6.5 oz.
    MPNK20PRO300M

Kenko PRO 300 converters are designed specifically to be use with telephoto lenses of 100mm or above, and work best with telephoto lenses of 200mm to 500mm. They're intended to be used with expensive telephoto lenses and larger camera bodies. They have all metal lens mounts in both front and rear, as well as a metal core, to support today's heavy professional camera bodies.

Submitted by frhout a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    Autofocus works even with a very modest f4-f5.6. With more ambiant light, autofocus will work faster.
The original price I paid for was 950 Hong Kong dollars. Excellent value.

Weaknesses:    Not noticeable when enlargements not beyond 8"x10".

Bottom Line:
I bought this Kenko Pro 300 2x converter to replace my other Kenko 2x with 4 elements which I broke when in Namibia. This is the first 7-element I try and I'm very pleased with it. Especially when I couple it with my Nikon 28-200D zoom and an old Nikon 801s.

Purchased At:   Chung Pui Photo Supp

Similar Products Used:   Kenko 2x autofocus 4-element.
Vivitar 2x manual focus 4-element.

Submitted by thobe a Expert

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2004

Strengths:    Does what no original Nikon TC does: one fits all and supports all features.
Good build quality.
Good optical quality.
When attached to top-notch lenses you may expect very very good (but i.m.o. not excellent) results.
Little vignetting, but this depends on the lens you attach it to.
Neutral colour rendition (which is also true for the 1.4x version but I forgot to mention it in my review there).

Weaknesses:    Slows down AF noticeable, but not too bad unless you do action photography and need speed. How much, depends both on the illumination and the open aperture of the lens. An 2.0 lens is less a problem than 4.5, which is really the limit of the useful range. However, this is true for all TCs and not a particular weakness of the Kenko. And, there seems to be an advantage in the reduced speed: it does not heavily "hunt" for focus.
A bit more vignetting than the 1.4x version.
Yields less "crisp" images than the 1.4x version.

Bottom Line:
This review refers to the current Nikon-mount AFs version which supports mechanical and "silent wave" AF as well as the VR function.

I went for this 2x TC for one reason: to attach it to my 2.8/300 AF Nikkor (old type with mechanical AF). Nikon has nothing to offer that matches this lens and an F80/N80 camera.

In brief, I am not disappointed at all. I wanted a cheap way to get up to 600mm focal length and I got it. I was hoping for a well performing combo and it performs well. I am sure a "real" 600mm prime lens does better, but I could never justify spending roughly 10.000 bucks and I am not tempted to carry such a lens through the bushes.
Contrast and sharpness are slightly reduced (compared with the plain lens as well as lens*1.4 TC), just enough to be noticeable.
Color saturation and rendition are flawless. On my slides there is no noticeable color cast associated with the TC.
I noticed a trend for overexposure by 1/2 f-stop with the big glass only. I do not understand why but it is an advantageous characteristic (at 5.6/600).
I also tried it on the Tamron 2.8/90 Macro lens and it performs very very good, too.

My conclusion: a well worth converter for those who own decent fast prime lenses and do not require the ultimate focusing speed.
I did not yet attach it to any of my zoom lenses because I am convinced to become disappointed then. General purpose 2x converters and zoom lenses are just not made for each other.

One last word concerning handling: obtaining a proper sharp image with 600mm is four times the challenge of that at 300mm, due to the sheer image area ratio, and you loose two levels of light. You will need a good sturdy tripod and a proper ball head. You will need to learn the proper shooting technique. You will need to buckle and carry all that stuff. Now, are you still in favour with a 2x TC? So go and get this one at least for the exercises and the first hand experience and if it does not suit you then sell it at (may I say ebay?) where it yields a remarkable "return on investment".

It is really good value for the money so I give 5 points for tis category. As for the overall rating, I cannot give 5 points. The Zeiss deserves 5 points, but not the Kenko, sorry.

Purchased At:   Online shop

Similar Products Used:   Kenko Pro300 1.4x, Zeiss Mutar 2x

Submitted by wilfred a Intermediate from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    good Sharpness
remain fast autofocus
solid build

Weaknesses:    Color seems not that pleasing, but not serious.
continous Auto-focus
no adjustment for data form the lens to the camera.

Bottom Line:
This is my second teleconverter as well as my second 3rd party lens for my Nikon. The other I have is Tamron 1.4X, which is really bad(very slow focusing, soft). I use this converter only with 2 lens among my gear, one is the 80-200 f2.8 ED(non D version) and the other one is 60mm Micro. The pictures produced are sharp, much better then the Tamron one. The only complaints is that it changed the AF behaviour...my lens became continous focusing even i'm using "S" but not "C" mode on my F90x.
Use this teleconverter ONLY on fast and very sharp lens. Try this if u already have such lens. Very good to use with 80-200 f2.8

Purchased At:   Man Shing, Hong Kong

Similar Products Used:   Tamron 1.4 X

Submitted by keglen a Intermediate from Denmark

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive
Full information exchange between body and lens which makes it work even with my F60...something that can't be taken for granted with the Nikon F60 *groan*
Autofocuses (albeit slowly)with my slow Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 lens.
Sharp for the price.

Weaknesses:    Too much plastic

Bottom Line:
Inexpensive TC that works great even with the Nikon F60 (N60).

Purchased At:   NY Camera, Germany

Similar Products Used:   2X Teleplus MC7

Submitted by Michael Turisk a Intermediate from New York

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Strengths:    sharpness, price, maintain AF on non AF-I/AF-S Nikons

Weaknesses:    plastic feel - doesn't feel as rugged as the Nikon TCs

Bottom Line:
After learning that Kenko's "PRO" TCs will allow AF on the older Nikons, I was ecstatic! The thought of purchasing an expensive Nikon TC and losing AF capabilities was, dare I say, disappointing, so the Kenko certainly caught my attention. I've read excellent commentary on both the 2x and the 1.4x; however, I was still concerned about placing a 3rd party TC on my tack-sharp 300 AF-N. After all, 3rd party TCs don't have good reputations for quality. With all the favorable press and the great price (~$200 through mail order), I decided to give Kenko a chance. Well, bottom line is I haven't been disappointed. This is one fine quality TC that won't lighten your wallet too much in the process. Slides are very sharp (some sharpness loss compared with no TC, but this is par for the course) with no vignetting, and MINIMAL light fall-off at the corners. Contrast and color rendition are superb. AF slows slightly - I did experience some "hunting", but I also obtained many tack-sharp images of in-flight birds. The images I've gotten with this TC are fantastic (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist!), more than I expected from a 3rd party manufacturer. Will the Kenko satisfy the most scrutinizing pro? I don't know - hopefully we'll see more reviews in the near future.
Considering I spent $200 (a USED Nikon TC-301 is ~$400, this TC seems all the more worthwhile (hence the "5 Star Value Rating"). I give the Kenko "4 Stars Overall" because of build quality - it doesn't feel as substantial or rugged as a Nikon. They do, however, have metal mounts and cores, so they should withstand some abuse.
Anyone looking to AF with their older Nikons would be well-served by looking into this fine effort from Kenko.

Purchased At:   Camera World of Oregon