Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Converters | Nikon

Nikon TC-14E 1.4x AF-S, AF-I Teleconverter 35mm Converters

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by jtwg a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    AF speed and optical quality are absolutely fantastic: the same as without the converter: what more can you ask for?
Only 1 stop of light is lost so handholding is still possible with a 70-200 f2.8 or 80-200 f2.8 or smaller lenses.
The teleconverter is very small: less than an inch long so the setup does not get much longer and is not likely to strain the camera and lens mounts.
Can be bought for a very good price second hand: a fraction of what the lenses it works with will set you back.
A 70-200mm f2.8 with this converter is less than half the price and half the weight of a 300mm f2.8!
It's very much a professional quality product.

Weaknesses:    Expense: very very expensive to buy new. Buy it secondhand.
Not compatible with AF-D lenses. This will not work with the excellent Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D lenses. Therefore I only have two lenses I can use this converter on, both of them very expensive AF-S optics.
Not compatible with the 28-80 f2.8 or 17-30 f2.8 AF-S lenses or the DX AF-S lenses but would you ever want it for these?

Bottom Line:
Firstly, I have the newer version: the TC-14E II. This is a simply excellent teleconverter, as is reflected by its very high new cost price of up to £400. I bought it bundled with my mint condition 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR lens for £1080 UK pounds for both so I guess I paid about £200 UK pounds for the converter which is about $380 US at the moment.

I see no degradation in the image quality or focus speed of my images when compared to not using the teleconverter, and the teleconverter often stays on my 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR lens all day. The autofocus works perfectly with the converter as does the VR system.

I have no complaints to make when put with the 70-200mm lens although I doubt I'd have paid £325 to £400 for the converter new!

It's not compatible with the 28-80 f2.8 or 17-30 f2.8 AF-S lenses or the DX AF-S lenses but would you ever want it for these more wide angle lenses? More annoyingly it won't work with AF-D lenses (it won't physically fit and to try to fit them together will cause damage) so forget using any AF-D telephotos: it's the newer AF-S or the older AF-I only.

So, do your research regarding compatibility before you buy this converter. If you have one or two AF-S or AF-I telephotos that it's compatible with then it won't let you down.

Purchased At:   ebay: bundle deal

Similar Products Used:   Nikon AF-I TC20E Mark I, Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR.

Submitted by georged a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    Tack sharp images, used on 80-200 f2.8, 300 f4, 400 f2.8
Small in size, especially compared to the 2x.

Weaknesses:    The price. But I suppose quality is not cheap.

Bottom Line:
Been using the TC14E for over a year now and find it just fabulous. When using it with f2.8 AFS lenses I have noticed only a very small decrease in focus speed. On a f4 you can notice a little more slowing of the AF but on both occassions its tack sharp and focusing is direct with no hunting. Must admit I never worry about picture quality as its just as good as the lens you are using. Only one stop loss is great appeal

Similar Products Used:   TC201
other converters. Never happy with anything but a Nikon for quality

Submitted by Moritz Herrmann a Intermediate from Zurich/Switzerland

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2002

Strengths:    rather short; thus making the overall length of camera-converter-lens not significantly longer. -> no big danger of breaking.

Weaknesses:    covers are difficult to stick on when changing in rush (e.g. shaking airplane, train)

Bottom Line:
A nice converter to carry with as it is not too heavy and small in size. Actually, I planned to head for the 2x, but one aperture to loose with the 1.4x is enough.

Purchased At:   photo shop in German