Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Canon

Diameter3 in
    Weight16 oz
    MPN2518a003
    Product ID20724055

A fast aperture, medium-range telephoto lens.

Submitted by Gab3x a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    Sharp
F2.0
Good bokeh
Small
Light
Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Sealing

Bottom Line:
If you do not need macro or the quality of the build of the 135mm f2 lens or you simply do not want to invest the L sums of money then I recommend that you add this lens to your arsenal. This lens will not disappoint in most applications and its versatility as well as its size and weight will mean that you will often use it.

Read a more detailed review on http://ignphotography.blogspot.com/2009/08/review-canon-ef-100mm-f20-usm.html

Purchased At:   Kodak Centar, Croati

Similar Products Used:   Canon 135mm f2 L

Submitted by alvarock a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    Image quality, size, price.

Weaknesses:    It is not weather sealed so some dust may get into the lens.

Bottom Line:
This lens rocks: It is fast, sharp even at f/2.0 and focuses quietly. I do not see any distortion on pictures taken with this lens. Contrast is also very good, while light fall-off is barely noticeable. The bokeh produced by this gem is a joy to see. In addition to its optical strengths, the 100mm f/2.0 is relatively small and light. When it is about portraits, I always keep it in my bag (and it never disappoints me). For the price, you are in a win-win situation with this wonderful piece of glass.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Submitted by jesusdelallata a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    Nice build, sharpness, colors, and f2.0 comes in handy.

Weaknesses:    On 1.6 crop DSLR, you have to stand back quite a bit.

Bottom Line:
I've used this lens for about six months now and all I can say is that it is really impressive. When I bought it I was only using film slr's and I used it a few times for portraits. The quality of the images, even when enlarged, are really nice, colorful and sharp. Unfortunately I haven't used this lens much since I got my digital SLR. You have to stand back quite a bit with the 1.6 crop factor. Since I still use my film SLR, and because one day I will have a full frame dslr, I'm planning on keeping this lens. I recently bought a 50mm 1.4 USM lens so I can use with both cameras. I bought this 100mm USM lens for one reason - portraits. The few times I've used it for this application, it has delivered admirably. It's unfortunate that I don't get to use it as often as I would like. But, whenever the need arises, I feel confident having this lens in the bag. For the price, it's a nice bargain.

Purchased At:   budig.com

Similar Products Used:   Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro

Submitted by billypat a Intermediate from Hingham, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    • razor sharp optical quality
• compact size
• tremendous value for money

Weaknesses:    •none noted

Bottom Line:
The rave reviews you keep seeing for this lens are true. This lens is really a stunner. If portraits are your thing, I doubt you could find a better 35mm lens at any price. Having owned the Canon 200mm 2.8L for over a year, it's a fine portrait lens, but requires one to be a considerable distance from the subject and can be a bit too "flattening" at times . However, the 100m f2 provides just the right perspective for even tight portraits, while shooting at a comfortable distance. The lens is incredibly sharp, the best non-L lens I've used by far, and much cheaper than them. This is a great lens for street photography, too, as it is quite compact. I read lots of reviews on this lens before dropping the cash for it, and have not been disappointed.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo