Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Canon

Lens Max Aperturef/2.8
    Macro LensWith Macro Lens
    Macro Magnificationx 1
    MountCanon EF

A totally new version of the popular 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Focusing over the full range from infinity down to life size (1:1 reproduction ratio), this lens will impress any serious photographer with its combination of versatility, image quality and superb handling.

Submitted by supertrooper a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Strengths:    1. Fast Focusing - Utilizing USM (Ultrasonic Motor), the Canon 100 Macro internally focuses very fast, quietly and very accurately.
2. Non-Extending or Rotating - When focusing at 1x subject distances, the lens does not extend, and the front element does not rotate.
3. Sharp Images - the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens is sharp wide open. The tiniest details in your tiniest subjects will come to life with this lens.
4. Optical Performance - Flare is very well controlled. Color and contrast are excellent and distortion is negligible. Although vignetting is apparent at f/2.8, this rapidly disappears when the lens is stopped down.
5. Practical Minimum Working Distance (MWD) - The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens gives an optimum MWD of 150mm. At the higher MWD of the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L USM lens (240mm), insects are not really close enough. At the lower MWD of the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens (90mm), insects may scare and fly away prematurely.

Weaknesses:    1. Build quality - this USM Macro lens has a reasonable build quality although it's not quite as solid as the L-Series lenses.
2. Image Stabilization - this lens does not feature the image stabilization present with the significantly more expensive Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens.

Bottom Line:
The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens is a very good choice for macro photography of butterflies, insects or flowers. It offers excellent optical performance and middle-of-the-road working distance, size and weight. Check out my insect stock photos and images on http://kenbillington.ch/photobank/Insects/

Submitted by Louie Aguinaldo a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    Sharp middle to wide open.
Pretty solid build.

Weaknesses:    Very soft when aperture is closed down. F22 shots not sharp at all.
Very dark, about 1 1/2 stops darker than other Canon lenses.

Bottom Line:
Oh how I wish I could write as glowing reviews as everyone else. Yes, it is sharp. I notice using macro it is sharp but up to around F16, strangely, as the aperture goes smaller it gets less sharp. As in if I shoot at F22 it is very soft. Yes, I've tried experimenting using different Fstops shooting the same subject (jewelry) and repeatedly found the same results. So I thought maybe it has something to do with the camera. So I tried using it on 3 cameras, an EOS 40D, EOS 1Ds II, and a 5D II - sadly the situation is the same. Sharp but gets really really soft when I go to the really small apertures as I try to achieve more depth of field.
The other thing I notice is that it is very dark. Maybe about 1 1/2 stops darker than other Canon lenses.
Still it is much much better than the Sigma equivalent.

Since most of what I shoot with it needs a lot of depth of field, the lens is not very effective for me since it gets really soft closed down.

Submitted by vizvishnu a Expert

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2008

Strengths:    brillant AF, seldom hunts in low light.
the sharpness it delivers is unimaginable.
lgiht, in comparison to the other macro lenses.

Weaknesses:    the hood and tripod mounts are prety expensive.
would have love to have them in the kit.

Bottom Line:
it seriously needs to classified as an L lens. god its brilliant.
brillant AF, seldom hunts in low light.
the sharpness it delivers is unimaginable.
its just a brilliant lens and the 100mm is just perfectly balanced for portraits as well as macro.
its a must have lens for any macro photographer.

Similar Products Used:   sigma 70-300 APO DG with a macro adjustment from 200 to 300 mm.
could never match the canon clarity.:)

Submitted by stuffnstuff a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    The f/stop is low, the bokeh smooth, the colors vibrant, the focusing quick. Need I go on? Ok, I will. Just plain 'ol easy to use.

The manual-override on autofocus mode is very convenient, although it is reset as soon as you re-partial-push the shutter down to get a new reading on exposure and the like.

The build quality is firm and solid. It is well designed and feels good on the camera and in the hand, although it is a little long for some people and most fanny-pack cases (moms really need to get over those anyways).

I especially like the internal focusing. No elements extend or rotate, which gives it an even more secure body. Also, the USM is Ring-type, Canon's best for their highest grade glass. It can seek in low light, but coupled with the wide aperture, it appears to be revealing whole new compositions when it jumps about. You will find yourself using manual focus quite a bit just because autofocus isn't telepathic yet, but it is nice to know that the auto is there.

Weaknesses:    They really need to offer a version with Image Stabilization installed. You never realize how nice it is until you don't have it. Because of that, I tend to suffer in low light, but I am sure I shoot more low-light than the average photographer.

I have had no problems with this lens and don't forsee any, although it is not for everyone.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this lens directly though Canon, taking advantage of their Authorized Dealer Associate Purchase Program. I chose it to be my first (and currently only) lens to go with my Canon EOS 30D.

I have taken over 3,000 pictures with it in the little time I have had it and it is still growing on me. I do recommend purchasing a filter for it and screwing it on the moment you unwrap the lens. You will not regret it.

It is a breeze to use and the minimum focusing distance works wonders. I can print a 10" long grain of rice at full photo quality, and that is macro. It also works well for non-macro photography. It makes a very nice portrait lens, although a little long for some.

You are paying a premium for the close focusing distance, so if you don't need it, buy a different lens. Otherwise, buy it and use it and love it.

Purchased At:   Canon

Similar Products Used:   Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. My mom has both and I have used the 70-300 quite extensively. Both are slow and optically, well, not L, but both are usable. If it wasn't for the 70-300's 4.9 foot minimum focusing distance, I wouldn't mind using it as my walk-around lens.

Submitted by Gahawn a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    Fast USM focus motor
Incredibly sharp picture
Verstaile as portrait or macro lens

Weaknesses:    At 100mm, it's great for the macros but it takes some getting used to as a portrait lens. You really have to be a bit further back than you might like.

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised this lens doesn't have the red ring around the front of it. This really should be classed as one of the "L" series lenses. Pictures are so sharp and the DOF is so precise that I've even had to use Photoshop to soften the picture a bit so my closeups don't look like they're popping off the page as much. Portraits are gorgeous with a nice soft background.

Purchased At:   Jack's Camera