Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Canon

Camera Format35 mm SLR
    Picture Angle12 degrees
    Focal Length200mm
    Lens Max Aperturef/1.8

The world's fastest 200mm telephoto lens. Three UD-glass elements eliminate secondary spectrum for sharp images at all apertures. The optics have been designed to give excellent background blur. Try it with the maximum aperture's shallow depth of field.

Submitted by joetheslug a Casual

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Strengths:    Superbly built, picture quality brilliant, never had so many females come and talk to me!
Price, it still holds a high resale value, just hope Canon don't bring out an IS version. Superb in low light.

Weaknesses:    Weight, but not really any issue for me, use a lightweight monopod with it.
Price in terms of second hand still costs between £1800-£2500, but resale excellent.

Bottom Line:
Compared to the 70-200mm IS 2.8, this lens produces brighter and more colourful pictures, which one wouldn't spot unless you have both lenses, otherwise don't lose any sleep over it.
Was it worth the money. Well I paid £1500 for the 70-200 from Jessops, so thats £300 less than the 200mm 1.8. However the proof is in the pudding. Since getting the 200mm 1.8 it has been constantly on my camera. The pictures are far more pleasing. That is not to say the zoom is poor cos it is not. The only drawback is th slight increase in weight, but I still handhold this lens. In low light then the pod comes out.
If this lens sold at £500-£1000 then Canon would have had a supply problem, it is just sheer quality. If you have the money by one.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon ef 70-200mm is 2.8

Submitted by SingLO a Intermediate from London, England

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Strengths:    ideal for indoor sport
very sharp even at f1.8

Weaknesses:    very expensive and heavy

Bottom Line:
This is my all time favourite lens. It is ideal for gymnastics and any other indoor sports. Also it can be a very good portrait lens-the beautiful out-of-focus
boken is breathtaking. With the 1.6X crop factor of my 10D, it becomes a formidable 320mm f1.8 with extremely fast and snappy AF. Stop down to f2.8 to f4, the image becomes razor sharp that
shows dazzling contrast and colours.
The large diameter hood is designed to
cover the tripod mount when it is mounted in reversed position for transport.
It is shame that Canon discontinued this classic speed giant last year.

Purchased At:   London

Similar Products Used:   EF 300 f2.8L
EF 135 f2L
EF 70-200 f2.8L
and many Contax Zeiss glasses

Submitted by Terrey a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Image quality. AF Speed. Handling. Oh-My factor. BAckground blur

Weaknesses:    Weight. Sort of expensive, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
Recently rented the 200 1.8L for a weekend shoot. My son plays Ice Hockey and my 80-200 2.8L just couldn't give me enough speed. I teamed this with my 135 2L and left all my other lenses home. I had seen the lens and looked at the spec sheets and wondered how good it is. Well, I am amazed at the quality. Using my 10D (focal length is 1.6x for 320mm)at ISO 800 I was shooting 1/500 @ f2. Not alot of DoF, but the images are the best I've gotten in 4 years of shooting hockey. I also shot my horses with it in daylight with outstanding results. Time to go shopping. This lens with a 1.4 will be my new workhorse.

Similar Products Used:   Tokina AT-X AF Pro 28-70 2.8, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 80-200 2.8L, Canon 300 f4L,Canon 300 2.8L

Submitted by Inner Visions a Professional from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    This thing will improve the images you shoot because 1. With f/1.8 even low light dilema's become a thing of the past and 2. Image quality is like nothing else with excellent contrast & true colours.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness so far is my arms trying to hold this thing up- at 3kg- its a beast!. But what would you expect with all that fast glass. I'm still grinning anyway.

Bottom Line:
WOW! The image quality from this 'weapon' is unbelievable. It is razor sharp even at f/1.8, infact it is equally superb across the whole range. This bit of kit took some convincing for approval with the wife but even she now acknowledges the stunning image quality improvement in my shots, even comparing it to my beaut 70-200f/2.8L which I think is terrific.

Purchased At:   Ebay-USA

Similar Products Used:   70-200f/2.8L

Submitted by GODZILLA a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Very sharp, fast and high contrast! People smile when they see the lens!

Weaknesses:    It's so heavy!! Can't lift the lens for long time unless your bicep is big.

Bottom Line:
I've been using EF16-35mm f/2.8L USM lens on my EOS 1D all the time till I bought this EF 200m f/1.8L lens. This is the best lens I've ever used so far. Lucky I didn't buy EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS. If you go to ebay, there're a lot of it but very rare you can find EF200mm f/1.8L. It's like comparing to honda civic with Ferrari modena. I've seen the lens sold as low as $1500 to as high as $2800 in Ebay depends on the condition. Good Luck!

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Sold all my maxxum, nikon, sony camera sets..Canon has the largest and the best lenses in the world!