Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Canon

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 35mm Primes

A standard wide-angle lens featuring compact size and light weight. This lens is suitable for casual snap shot, landscape and architectural photography. The small number of elements ensures sharp, high-contrast image quality and super-fast AF. Distortion is virtually nonexistent, making the lens ideal for architectural photography and scenes containing straight lines. Mechanical manual focusing.

Submitted by joecap a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Small, handles flair well

Weaknesses:    soft edges, outclassed by ef 28-105mm and ef 22-55mm

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens assuming it would be an upgrade from my EF28-105 and 28-200mm tamron xr.
I was wrong, both the ef28-105mm and the 28-200 are sharper at 28mm even when stopped down.
Pass on this prime, 5 element construction is not enough, even my cheapo 22-55mm usm is sharper.

Similar Products Used:   ef 28-105mm, ef 22-55mm

Submitted by jim a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    Sharpness

weight

size

value

Weaknesses:    Hunts a bit in AF

A bit noisy

plastic and obviously feels less substantial than a heavier metal lens. Decide for yourself what significance these characteristics mean to you.

Bottom Line:
I purchased a MK I version of this lens, have not seen the MK II but apparently it does not have the metal mount that this one does.

I like the wide angle, which on a crop sensor like my Canon XTi effectively makes it a 45mm. It's great for portraits, for outdoor shots and even for some impromptu macro work. Almost as fun as the 50 1.8 for the money and playing with low apertures and skinny depth of field.

My copy is tack sharp, but hunts a bit during focus and isn't the quietest lens I have. It's all plastic except the mount, but seems solid enough and the optics are very good. In addition, to me what makes it worth the purchase are it's small size and light weight. It's not bad for a walkaround as long as you don't need a wide view.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   canon 50mm f1.8

Submitted by ganiyu a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light and extremely portable. It's not an attention seeker.

Weaknesses:    Focus ring.

Bottom Line:
I have a few lenses but i use this one allot for portraits and for the price it's amazing. http://www.contactphotographer.co.uk

Purchased At:   Ebay UK

Similar Products Used:   50mm f1.8

Submitted by rghoag a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
On my 400d this is like walking around with a 45mm lens on a 35, The noise does
not bother me at all and the results have been better than I hoped for.
It's light ,unobtrusive and I have not used my zoom much since I got the 28.
I'm happy with the whole deal.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   17-85 canon usm is

Submitted by Kyle W. Smith a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Strengths:    Decently fast at 2.8
Sharp
Nice wide angle on 35mm, Nice close to normal prime on a 1.6 crop body.
Built well

Weaknesses:    Noisy AF
Poor quality lens hood.

Bottom Line:
Prior to purchasing this lens I was using the Canon 20mm 2.8 USM and was generally unpleased with the resulys. The lens was very soft wide open and I felt I should have gotten more out of a lens of that price. I wanted to free up some cash to purchase some other equipment so I sold the 20mm and bought the 28mm 2.8 instead. Aside from not being as wide, I think the performance of this lens is just as good, if not better than the 20mm. It can be a little soft wife open, but not too bad. Very sharp when stopped down. The AF is quite noisy, but about the same as a Nikon 50mm 1.8d I use to have. all in all I'm pleased with this lens and It exceeds any zoom of an equivilent price or more. The lens hood is a piece of crap, but serves its purpose. I would definitley reccommend this lens to anyone on a budget. If you're on a budget it would go along nicely with the 50mm 1.8.

Purchased At:   B&H