Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Canon

Closest Focusing Distance9.6 in
    Picture Angle63 degrees
    MPN2507a002
    Product ID20724012

Fast 35mm wide-angle lens. With a minimum focusing distance of only 25 cm, you can approach the subject closer and still obtain a more natural wide-angle effect. You can even obtain good background blur for portraits.

Submitted by mark

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2012

Strengths:    1) cheap
2) reliable
3) light and compact

Weaknesses:    1) slowish and noisy focus
2) not sharp at f2.0 - you need to shoot at f2.8 and up
3) colors are slightly washed out and grey looking - not much contrast on this lens.

Bottom Line:
An essential piece of kit. I have never really liked zooms - even a cheap prime beats an L series zoom in my opinion, in terms of image quality. For example - try this lens against the 24-105 f4.0 L lens at 35mm - at f4 the images are quite obviously different in quality - the cheaper 35mm beats it soundly.
The lack of contrast and fall off in the corners is easily fixed in DPP or ACR with lens correction selected. In fact, I quite like a low contrast lens - its easier to add contrast in post prod than to take it away. This lens is often reviewed as being of low build quality - I think that many reviewers are being unfair - the lens FEELS as though it is cheaply built becuase it is light and small. But does it actually break? I have had mine for years and it never gave me any trouble. It reminds me of toyota cars - they feel flimsy and cheaply made - plastic. But do they break down? A mercedes feels solid and reliable but they actually seem to break down quite a lot - and are expensive to fix. This applies to a lot of the canon gear - the cameras themselves seem to be cheap and plasticy - but they can take a lot of rough handling and wear and tear without failing. The hassleblads I used to handle felt like they were built like tanks - but were forever breaking down and needing expensive repairs.

Submitted by David W a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, cheap & sharp.

Weaknesses:    Build quality acceptable, nothing more.
Slightly noisy.

Bottom Line:
This lens has seen renewed interest as it becomes pretty close to a normal lens
( 56mm equiv. ) on Canon's smaller sensor DSLRs.
More than acceptable quality wide open & excellent quality at mid apertures makes this fast & relatively cheap lens very attractive to amateur photographers.

I've found this lens invaluable in certain situations when my zoom is just too darn slow ( by two stops ).

Look for a used deal & you won't be disapointed.

Similar Products Used:   EF 50mm f1.8
many zooms.
Various manual focus primes.

Submitted by xml5000 a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    wonderful optics

Weaknesses:    build not great, but not the worse either.

Bottom Line:
Supurb sharpness & colour rendition, very hard to fault this lens optically speaking, build quality leaves a bit to be desired.

Submitted by shlomi a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2005

Strengths:    Sharp, small, light, cheap, perfect focal length, close focusing

Weaknesses:    Focus hunt, very noisy, slightly washed out colors, hceap feel

Bottom Line:
I love this lens and use it whenever I can. When it manages to focus correctly the results are just great. The colors are not comparable to those of the 50/1.4 but I like them as they are. It is small and cheap feeling - but it makes the camera very light and comfortable to handle in comparison to my other lenses.

The one problem that bothers me with this lens is the focus hunt in low light. I don't take it anymore to low light situations because I know it will fail, which kind of voids the f/2 advantage. This makes me consider the 35/1.4 seriously as I am otherwise happy with this lens. BTW I'm sure the low light problem can be fixed with a flash or ST-E2 focus assit light.

There is also that irritating buzzing sound of the focus engine but I can live with that. In fact just the other day someone told me my camera must be top of the line if it makes such professional sounding noises :-)

It can focus very closely and can almost be called a macro despite the short focal length.

As a walkaround I find it is the best length for 1.6x crop. I always use it at f/2.8 and above to get a normal DOF and good sharpness, but when used at f/2 results are fine too.

Shlomi
www.shlomi.net

Purchased At:   B&H

Submitted by pemartin a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Strengths:    light and packable
sharp and mostly flare free
great cost to performance ratio
wide angle negates the need for USM
52mm filters

Weaknesses:    non USM buzz

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens to fill the gap I had between my 28mm and 50mm, after I sold my 28-105. Based on my previous experience with the other consumer level primes from Canon I expected more than just a gap filler. I wasn't disappointed. As a compliment to the other primes in this range it functions perfectly, and exceeded my expectations to the point of being my "go to" normal lens over the 50mm. In terms of landscape photography it is essential in achieving the the desired perspective at the moment of truth- when the 28 is too wide and the sun is sinking fast. When you venture out with primes it becomes clear that at those moments it is faster to change lenses than to move- yourself or the scene. I have also enjoyed using it with a flash to take group shots at closer range than the 50, and as an all around performer that stays mounted on the body most of the time. I was lucky to get the hood along with the lens which is great, since it also fits the 28mm 2.8.I would agree (with everyone else) that it is worthwhile to use it all the time. I tend to use it in the "typical" f-stop range used for ladscapes and can say that from 5.6-11 it as every bit as sharp as you want. These fall right in line with the testing I saw on photdoto, which seems to be the place everyone gets their info. Dollar for dollar you won't find a better lens at this focal lenght- not that there is many- but it beats the pants off a zoom in the $ range. Even the construction isn't really as flimsy as you might read, much better than the 50mm II. That goes for all the consumer zooms from Canon, I love 'em all. Makes me content to stay away from the expensive glass.....for now.

Purchased At:   ebay