Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Canon

Closest Focusing Distance138 in
    Picture Angle6 degrees
    MPN2526a004
    Product ID20723746

This high-performance super-telephoto lens was designed with portability and handling ease in mind. One super UD-glass element, whose characteristics are similar to fluorite, and one UD-glass element result in sharp pictures. The lens also has a built-in hood and a detachable tripod mount.

Submitted by Vijay Shastri a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    Outstanding sharpness, well controlled flare characteristics, very little lateral colour, Minimal drop in sharpness with the 1.4 X EF teleconverter.

Weaknesses:    lack of USM, I guess that is about it

Bottom Line:
I am an extremely satisfied user of Canon 400 mm F 5.6 EFL lens. I have used this lens with variopus Canon bodies like Canon EOS 1RS, EOS 1N, EOS 3, EOS 1DS mark II, EOS 5D. I have had wonderful experience with all these bodies with excellent sharpness in the center of the frame. The edge sharpness is also very good although not on par with the central sharpness.

The auto focusing is extremely fast with all the bodies and the best performance is found with Canon EOS 1DS mark II. I have also used the lens with the Canon 1.4 EF converter. I have not seen any noticeable drop in sharpness on either of the film or digital bodies. I have used the lens for photographing small birds like the minivets, barbets, tailor bird, baya birds and the details that I have obtained are excellent. The best part of this lens is low CA and negligible lateral colour.

The bonus is that I am able to use auto focus with the extender attached on Canon EOS 1DS mark II. Even with the telec onverter, the auto focus was spot on. I guess that is the tribute to the auto focus system on the Camera!!

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   100-400 mm 4.5-5.6 EF L zoom

Submitted by dustlens9 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, sharp sharp sharp! - fast auto focus. Good price.

Weaknesses:    No IS - but you don't have to pay for it either.

Bottom Line:
This has been one of the most satisfying lenses I have ever bought. The sharpness and auto focus speed has been a real treat. It was my first super tele, and I use it photographing my son's track and soccer activities. I live in Arizona, so the sun is frequently available to allow for fast shutter speeds. I use a monopod to stabilize the lens attached to my digital rebel. It took some getting used to the proper technique to keep the lens steady. Now I feel comfortable shooting a steady shot from about 1/1000 of a second on up. IS of course would be nice but I have not had any issues with blurry shots do to camera shake. I set it at 5.6 aperture priority with ASA 400 and almost always have enough light to get the job done. If you are shooting in less than sunlit situations you are probably going to need to bump up to ASA 800. Not the end of the world with modern DSLRS.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   70-200 4L

Submitted by Christiano a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2005

Strengths:    sharp sharp shaaarp...superb colour...no distortion on my d30 and d10..it is super L gear !..and affordable

Weaknesses:    white?? nope..none at all..
use this on a mono or good tripod.

Bottom Line:
Boy ! This is a very wonderfull lens indeed; i remember one time for a period when my other cam and lens( Canon 1 D and 400 2 ,8 ) was away ,i used this lens fro sportsphotography =with my beloved Canon D30(remember to put a batterygrip on as well).The 400 mm and 5,6 was set up to 400 iso and 800 iso and a carbonmonopod from slik; this combo made my money and still does!the pics is very sharp and good,my editor think its fantastic.And i think this kit is awesome good and affordable..i also used this combo for nature and alike..and my clients is so impressed ,i actually think the D30 output is more noiseless and good than other DSLR cameras i used,its also dependable on which software( i use PS and C) ; i also use the RAW config and jpeg bot solo and as well in combination with fred mirandas plug in; the result is stunning!
Do you always need F 2,8 and a broken back and leg? Nope..not if its only for local sports which is not in the premier league,or simple nature pics..(hey its not nat geographic?!!save money..use your software and be patient.
Buy this lens!

Purchased At:   adorama

Similar Products Used:   manu from nikon and canon..and..other brands..as well as tamron..but this is no 1

Submitted by RickP66 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    Sharp.
GREAT colors.
Light and hand-holdable.

Weaknesses:    Not fast, but for this weight and this money...

Bottom Line:
I was set on buying the 100-400L when I chanced upon a killer deal on a barely used 400 f5.6 and couldn't pass it up. Boy am I glad I got this lens. I am constantly amazed at how sharp this lens is. It's become my most-used lens---for birds, butterflies, any wildlife shots. It's light, easily hand-holdable and autofocusses with my 1.4x Tamron TC. Without the TC, it's very fast-focussing and produces incredible pictures. A great lens that is often overlooked by those seeking a wildlife lens.

Purchased At:   private seller