Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Canon

Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 35mm Primes

4.87/5 (15 Reviews)

The optical concept of this lens originated with the FL50mm f/1.4 II and FD50mm f/1.4. It achieves more compactness and higher contrast simultaneously. It has been called "the standard lens of standard lenses", because of its high image quality. It has an excellent color balance, which is virtually identical to the ISO recommended reference value.

Submitted by leo a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2011

Strengths:    Small, still working after all these years, got a second live now on a Sony Nex.
F1.4.
Nice colors and contrasts, sharp.

Weaknesses:    Not so good at 1.4 but much better at 1.4 then the Canon EF 50 mm F1.4
Bokeh is nervous, my main complaint.

Bottom Line:
I own a lot FD lenses and just bought a Sony Nex with FD adapter. I love the little lenses and I own a new FD 50 mm F1.4.

With a corner of * 1.5 not so allround as ment to be, but still nice. Sharpness and color are really good.

Similar Products Used:   FD 24mm ,FD 28mm, FD 35mm, FD 100mm and so on.

Submitted by coa75 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    Good sharpnes and contrast, even on corners. True colours. Slight distorsion.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Classic 35mm SLR lens. I used in many situation, best for portraits.

Similar Products Used:   Zuiko 1,4/50mm

Submitted by John Falkenstine a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth. Well-made.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I got my 50mm 1.4 FD mount along with a 28mm FD and a 100mm FD as a package deal which "happened" to include a beautiful Canon T90 Camera. I have used the 50mm and found it to be a very, very good lens. Even with snapshot film such as Kodak Gold 200, image quality is noticeable. Despite the age of the lenses, all of them look and function like new. Just turning the focus on the 50mm sends the message: "I am a well-made piece of machinery." Attached to a nice piece of equipment like the T90, they are STILL an excellent piece of performance equipment in a digital era. The whole thing cost me a song on Ebay.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Minolta 50mm, Fujica 50-55mm, Olympus 50mm. Canon EF 50mm 1.8.

Submitted by Christiano a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2004

Strengths:    sharp sharp and sharp good blur good bokeh good good colour ..oh my god

Weaknesses:    nope

Bottom Line:
in my humble opinon the best 50 mm lens ever made(together with the leica summicron and the nikon ais japan made version short barrel) this one rules and i am so astonished from the prints i get from this true classic and pearl! wau
buy it

Purchased At:   color

Similar Products Used:   all

Submitted by taylorje84 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2004

Strengths:    Optics. Weight. Handling. Looks. Price. Arguably better than the faster f/1.2 version and certainly an improvement over the earlier f/1.4 breechlock version.

Weaknesses:    If there were any I would list them here, but there are none.

Bottom Line:
Mine is the later version of the 50mm f/1.4, but I once owned the earlier S.S.C Breechlock version which I found to be one of the heaviest lenses I have ever owned. The later version I own now is much less bulkier, plus the focusing is not as stiff and it looks and handles much better than the old version too. Of course, if you can afford it, buy an f/1.4 instead of an f/1.8 (or even the faster f/1.2), it will be money very well spent. I feel that every photographer should own a good standard prime lens such as this f/1.4, even though people disregard it as too short for portraiture and too long for landscapes, there is certainly a strong element of truth in that but most of the people who say this tend to use zoom lenses and the optics are inferior to any prime lens. The zoom lenses that are of any discernable quality cost immense sums of money and are only suited to professional sports or press photographers who can afford them. I believe it is the lens which makes the camera, so I can live without zoom lenses. I stick to using primes, such as my 50mm f/1.4.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   50mm f/1.4 S.S.C Breechlock, 50mm f/1.8, 70-210mm f/4, 28mm f/2.8.