Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Konica Minolta

MPN2676110
    Product ID20724000

Submitted by Byron Childress a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    The Minolta Maxxum 100mm Macro lens is excellent. I invested in a ring light and had great results. I plan to visit other locations since I am now retired and have the time. One of the best investments that I have made is my Sony A-350 and 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Easy to use, great color and boken. This lens also makes a great portrait lens, I find that I keep it on my camera most of the time.

Weaknesses:    A little slow focusing but I think that goes with most macro lenses. when you use the lens for a while you get used to it and it is not really a problem.

Bottom Line:
I got serious about improving my photography skills over the last two years. Purchased a Sony A-100 two years ago and nine months ago upgraded to a Sony A-350. I have purchased several lenses mostly used Minolta Maxxums on ebay. About eight months ago I got interested in macro photography and purchased a Minolta Maxxum 100mm f/2.8. I planted a flower garden and attracted several large butterflys which I photographed with great enjoyment and great results.

Macro photography opened a whole new world for me which I greatly enjoy. I took a vacation last week and spent a week in Canada at Niagara Falls Ont. I spent most of my vacation photographing beautiful butterflys at the Niagara Falls Butterfly Conservatory. A great time was had by myself and my lady friend who is now hooked on macro photography.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   I have several Minolta Maxxum and Sony A-mount lenses, Ikind of went overboard making lens purchases on ebay. I also have a Canon XT that I picked up on sale at Walmart for only $300.00 and I have bought a few Canon lenses. The Canon XT is a great camera but my favorite is the Sony A350.

Submitted by vincentsiew a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Strengths:    Sharp from F2.8 to F32 with good color reproduction. No CA. Both for macro and protrait. An excellent piece of equipment.

Weaknesses:    Focusing a bit slow, hunting all over. But for macro, and since using manual focus, there's no issue here.

Bottom Line:
Have been hunting for this lens after hearing much rave review so before. Initially bought it for macro but now finds that it's comparative to my raynox lenses. But the beauty is it's also a portrait. So, it's a 2-in-1 deal that's most handy. No regrets for the premium price paid and the long wait to own this piece of equipment.

Purchased At:   Singapore (Used)

Submitted by willscary a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    Sharpness, color, lack of distortion, my lens seldomly exhibits flare and when it does I blame myself for my technique, focus limiting switch

Weaknesses:    kind of large, AF is not blazing fast and can hunt a bit in low light, but I do not consider either of these to detract from the score I give because ot is not meant as a walkaround lens for quick shooting

Bottom Line:
I bought this lens several years ago on ebay. The plan was to use it for occational macrophotography, but mainly to use as a portrait lens. WOW! This lens will not disappoint you! It is consistantly razor sharp with beautiful colors rendered in full brilliance. I could talk this lens up, but lets just say that the pictures are perfect from a wide open aperature until stopped down to f/16 (I have never stopped down farther). Its negatives are its size and weight, and its relatively slow AF speed compared to smaller primes like the 50mm f/1.7, but what do you expect? It IS a large lens with large glass elements.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Minolta AF primes, older Pentax manual focus primes, Minolta, Sigma and Tamron zooms

Submitted by richachrome a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2005

Strengths:    Everything about it is a strenght.

Weaknesses:    No lens case comes with it.

Bottom Line:
I have purchased many macro lenses over the years in the 90mm to 105mm focal length range. These include the sigma 105/2.8, the vivitar/phoenix ( made by cosina ) 100/3.5, and the highly reguarded tamron 90/2.8. In fact I have owned two of some of the above lenses. The minolta 100/2.8 D version is overall the best of the group. In comparison, the surprisingly good vivitar is fully multicoated and has only 5 elements in 4 groups, resulting in amazing contrast and color neutrality. No above lens has higher contrast. Slides will tell otherwise, but in prints you could not tell that this lens isn't optically perfect. Slide film, though, can show the other lenses producing better sharpness and detail. The tamron has resolution nearing perfection at around 5.6 to 11.
The sigma is also a great performer and I especially like the slightly greater focal lenght - it really shows in my slides. But when it comes down to opticall performance at f/2.8 all the way to f/16 ( I have't tested beyond f/16 ), the minolta has the consistently best combination of sharpness, contrast, and color neutrality. It also is very solidly built and has very fast autofocus when my maxxum 9 is set to speed priority autofocus. The minolta also has the smartest division of focus ranges - 0.6 meters to infinity as opposed to the other lenses much less.

Purchased At:   BH

Similar Products Used:   Tamron, Sigma, Vivitar, Phoenix.

Submitted by Diec Cho a Casual from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent build and optical quanlity. The lense include the lense shade.

Weaknesses:    The focus ring is a little bit tight.

Bottom Line:
This medium range of macro lense produces excellent quality image with good contrast and superb sharpness. The out of foucs background looks like melted cheese. Thanks the circular aperture that the bokeh in the images are all pleasing cirles. I owned a Canon EF100mm f/2.8 USM before. The USM one is sharp at macro but become very soft at infinity. The Minolta one I got is the newwest (D) version which totally out perform the one from Canon in term of color, detail and overall focus range (from macro to infinity).

Purchased At:   Shing