Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Leica

Diameter2 in
    Weight9 oz
    MPN11879
    Product ID20724528

Excellent sharpness, high contrast and a superb resolving power over the entire focusing range are evident at full aperture. With its aperture stopped down modestly to f/4, this versatile lens delivers a maximum of resolving power and contrast. It is all the more impressive because of its virtually perfect absence of distortion. That makes it a world-class lens among fast wide-angle lenses. In spite of its high speed and its superb imaging performance, it is surprisingly small. Every Leica M camera fitted with this lens becomes a highly compact and elegant unit.
  • Aperture range: f/2.0-16
  • Min focus: 0.7 m

Submitted by 92135011 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2005

Strengths:    sharp lens with great finish (mine is chrome) and heft to match.
    Focus with one finger!

Weaknesses:    the hood does not have a slot so it blocks off some of the viewfinder

Bottom Line:
    Bought it used from a forum member at photo.net
    Besides it being a sharp lens, I also love the tab.
    At first I thought it was kinda weird, but now I have come to love focusing with one finger.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by luel a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Strengths:    Sharpness.
    Contrast.
    Size.
    Speed.
    Like no other 35mm prime out there.

Weaknesses:    None
    (Yes, photo gear is expensive....save up and get over it)

Bottom Line:
    When having an balanced conversation regarding Leica products the following must be remembered: A)Good things cost money. B)All photographic equipment has an optimum usage style. and C)Comparing apples to oranges never produces anything useful. Now my review....I finally sold my old dodge truck and decided to buy into the "Leica" legend... so I purchased a near mint M6 and 35mm ASPH f2. Optically, nothing I have ever shot with compares with my 35mm Leica lens, and trust me I have plenty to compare with (Nikon, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Canon). Now when I look at slides from my Nikon prime lens all I seem to notice is distortion, vingetting, flare, and lack of sharpness.
    I have not been able to put down my Leica in 5 months.....my girlfriend makes fun of me because I bring my M6 to bed (this is true). Yes the lens and camera are that GOOD! Don't get me wrong Nikon and Canon gear is GREAT and has very many uses....I would never sell my Nikon gear because it covers SO may photographic situations and offers a fantasitc peformance at reasonable cost. However, when you compare Nikon to Leica optics....well there is simply no comparison. If you can afford a single Leica lens, get this one..... It is simply the incredible.

For unobtrusive street photography this lens coupled with the M6 has no rival.

Finally, unless absolutely need the extra stop, get the f2 over the f1.4. The f2 is acutally sharper than the f1.4 @ f2 and above.

Purchased At:   On E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Leica 90mm f2 APO/ASPH (Wow!)
    Nikon, Canon.

Submitted by likalar a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Strengths:    Sharpness, contrast, and build quality.

Weaknesses:    legibility of markings. size increase over the earlier versions (I know the glass design likely dictated this; Those smaller pre-Asph 35 Summicrons are the perfect size, IMO)

Bottom Line:
    The 35 Summicron Asph is my 4th 35 Summicron in over 30 years. Fantastic performer! I shoot quite a bit in low light, so welcome the extra sharpness at the wide open aperture. I'll keep my early one, an old friend, but this one is the best. Now to get picky:
    a.My new black lens has the "feet" scale markings painted in red, and the meter markings in white. The red markings show poorly in very dim light; My older lens has yellow "feet" markings, a better choice in my opinion.
    b. With the supplied hood in place, it is difficult to see the recessed white dot that marks the aperture setting. I may paint an additional white dot on the lens barrel closer to the camera body.

Similar Products Used:   50 Summ, 28 Elmarit, Nikkor, Hass. RZ lenses.

Submitted by agp a Expert

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
    This was my first Leica lens, and it is still my favourite. Bitingly sharp pictures, superb effect on the out-of-focus areas.

Purchased At:   Wey Cameras, Weybrid

Submitted by Eddy Chang a Casual

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Strengths:    High quality,
    very very cheap when compare with Digital photo

Weaknesses:    none & nil

Bottom Line:
    it very sharp, and look like 3D, Stunning Images, outstanding, Smooth, small, lightweight, very very excellent lens

Purchased At:   Bangkok, Thailand