Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Focus : Autofocus

Wide Angle 24mm f/2.8 AIS Manual Focus Lens

Submitted by paulpacurar a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    Build quality, sharpness stopped down, great focal length, even on DX, smooth focus

Weaknesses:    f/2.8 is NOT usable

Bottom Line:
I needed something wider on my dx camera. I had many 50, 58, then even 85 and 105 mm lenses, but nothing wide. On DX 28mm becomes 42, so is not wide. I have the tamron 28-75 / 2.8, and not only is not wide enough at 28, but it doesn't have a good reputation at its wide end. So I hunted this lens, as soon as I found it on ebay, at a reasonable price. My has some dings and scratches, but "it doesn't affect image quality"... really! The manual focus on EOS cameras was based on my intuition or viewfinder, but the results are fine, as 24mm means a great depth of field. The lens is sharp and has good colors. What bothers me is that 2.8 is NOT usable. Is not sharp at this maximum aperture and very prone to flare, unfortunately. I is still a good lens to have in your bag. For those who can afford, probably 20mm is the best choice (on DX cameras) or 28mm on FF.

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by mohawk51 a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2005

Strengths:    Build quality for sure!

Weaknesses:    None really noted.

Bottom Line:
Actually, I have both the 24MM F2.0 and the F2.8. I haven't used them much recently, opting to use the 20MM F2.8. Reading these reviews has prompted me to take both the F2.0 and f2.8 out in the field this weekend to see how they compare to each other. I'm anxious to see. I do remember a few years ago when I was out in Moab, Utah I had the 24MM f2.8 with me. I was looking at those slides and the brilliance from those shots were amazing. Kinda wished I would have had the F2.0 with me at that point to make a comparison. But I'll make it this weekend.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 20MM F2.8 AIS, Nikkor 35MM F1.4 AIS, Nikkor 50MM F1.8 AIS, Nikkor 28-50MM F3.5 AIS and the Nikkor 70-300 F4-5.6 ED

Submitted by Dimitris Zervas a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    Sharp,excellent build quality,small size.Cheap comparatively to its quality.

Weaknesses:    Prone to flair.

Bottom Line:
I got this one used at Ebay.Generally speaking one of my favourites.I really like its angle view.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nikon AF 24 f2.8
Nikon MF 28 f2.8

Submitted by Hermann Graf a Expert from Mutterstadt / Germany

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2003

Strengths:    Light-weighted
Good optical performance
Excellent build quality

Weaknesses:    Optically slightly weaker than the MF 28mm/F2.8

Bottom Line:
Good to excellent wide angle lens, low distortions, good sharpness, but slightly less sharp and contrasty than the Nikkor MF 28mm/F2.8.

Purchased At:   Retailer in Germany

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor MF 28mm/F2.8
Nikkor MF 20mm/F2.8
Nikkor MF 35mm/F1.4

Submitted by DJ Soroka a Expert from NY, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Strengths:    Wide angle of view is useful for taking shots of buildings and room interiors.

Weaknesses:    Lens flares when pointed into light source.

Lens improves markedly when stopped down two stops.

Bottom Line:
I have mixed feelings about this lens.

It is certainly invaluable if trying to photograph the interior of a room or an entire building, where the increased angle of view over a 28 mm lens is a distinct advantage.

Also, it is not so wide that one need be extremely precise in composition & alignment as one needs to be with 20 mm and wider lenses.

The lens improves markedly as it is stopped down from f/2.8 to f/5.6; and is best around f/8 up to f/11.

I, however, do not use this for landscape shots, prefering a 28, 35, 50, 85 or 105.

So, I pretty much use it for room interiors and entire shots of buildings outdoors (often at dusk or dawn). So, I am mainly concerned with performance wide open, or close to it (f/4), since I like to do city shots handheld, without a tripod.

Purchased At:   Westbury, Camera

Similar Products Used:   About 60 Nikon lenses and 5 Leica/Contax lenses.