Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Closest Focusing Distance48 in
    Picture Angle18 degrees
    MPN1935
    Product ID20724843

Features unique Nikon Defocus-image Control technology, which allows you to control background and foreground blur for striking portraits. Autofocus capability. Large maximum aperture for shooting in dim light.

Submitted by ZoneV a Expert

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2008

Strengths:    DC of course
Excellent build quality, the built in velvet lined lens hood is a nice touch.
Fast aperture, one stop better than the 2.8's
Fast enough autofocus
Sharp enough to draw blood if you want.

Weaknesses:    Some sample variations that were front focusing. I found two that had this problem. I don't think I would buy this lens used without being able to check for this abnormality.
Auto focus is a tad noisy if you're used to AF-S lenses.
Pro Quality=Pro price. It always seems to be that way with Nikon. Not really a weakness, just the way it is.
None of this would stop me from buying this lens again.

Bottom Line:
Thought I'd bring this review up to date and reconfirm what most have already stated. This 'fast prime' remains a phenomenal lens. An absolutely wonderful piece of glass to have and use. If you haven't discovered it yet, there is something magical about working with Nikkor's best and this is one of them.

Professional quality build and handling coupled with a performance level that rarely manifests itself so easily make this an easy selection for a 'Go To' lens at this focal length.Portrait work of course is a given here but this lens on a 'DX' format also turns into a blazingly fast f2 200mm.

This lens was designed for portraiture and in that respect performs amazingly. Mastering the Defocus Control parameters was not that difficult, just remember to refocus after making changes. There are several web sites that document how to use this lens better than the resources available in this forum. The 'soft focus' capability in my opinion is unique and can't be matched by filters. Bokeh is unrivaled and beautiful enough on my sample to equivocate it to...dare I say it, the other 'Cream Machine'?

Balances extremely well on a D200 without the intimidating look of the larger fixed aperture zooms like the 70/80-200. Don't be concerned about previous posts chastising the lack of an f22 stop. If you have this lens you'll find it difficult enough to stop down to f5.6. This lens begs to be used wide open. Very good sharpness at f2 and still retains good contrast and color, sharpness peaks to excellent at f4-5.6 with DC set at R2.

My absolute favorite prime...but I've always been a sucker for a piece of fast glass :^)

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   17-55 AF-S f2.8, 80-200 AF-D f2.8, 50 f1.8

Submitted by Jeff Pederson a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Strengths:    Solid build, relatively quick, hunt resistant focus in dim light, f/2, sharp wide open, defocus function, easily handheld, price for good used reasonable.

Weaknesses:    Not obvious to me.

Bottom Line:
This is one of my best lenses. I purchased the lense for indoor, available light photography. Mostly musical performances and dance events. My copy is the non D version and is sharp wide open. Armed with this lense, a monopod, and my D2H, D70, or Fuji S2 cranked to 800 or 1600 ASA/ISO allows me to shoot as I please with great results. I am learning how to use the defocusing function for portrait and still-life photography.

Purchased At:   camera shop

Similar Products Used:   80-200 f/2.8 ASF and 70-210 f/4 cover the focal length, but nothing like this lense.

Submitted by nikon_junkie a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Strengths:    build, optical quality

Weaknesses:    price, weight to some. Have yet to really utilize the defocus aspect of the lense so I can't comment with authority on that aspect of the lense.

Bottom Line:
If you have seen my other reviews, you would know my love/hate relationship with the 28mm f/1.4 AF and 200mm AIS F/2 Nikon glass. When it comes to reaching for a lense, outdoors or in a gym, if the light is right and I have enough distance to work, then this is my first choice. Sometimes its too long for basketball, but it will cover soccer well if you set up near one goal. I recently shot a amateur boxing match, and was able to snipe away of the fighters getting ready with stealth. Also, this is a fantastic portrait lense. There are lenses where a cheaper alternative will save you tons of money for little penalty in optical quality. This along with the 85mm focal length are my two most used lenses.

Purchased At:   adorama

Submitted by Dan King a Expert from Northern California

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    Compact, fast, reasonably sharp, and on the D1H becomes
effectily an autofocus 200mm f/2. I can crop to 1/4th of original
D1H images at ISO 400-1600 and blow up to 8X12" and
obtain publishable photojournalism type images.

Weaknesses:    No AF-S focus

Bottom Line:
I use this lens primarily for indoor action photography where flash is
precluded (rodeo, high school ladys' volleyball, etc.). I also use it
virtually exclusively on digital SLR cameras (Fuji S2, Nikon D1H).
Used as such it seldoms sees any other aperture than f/2 and often
I'm trying to track, focus on and shoot very fast moving subjects. In this
capacity the 135/2 has performed very well for me. It has provided
high quality images (newspaper, county fair, and state fair fair quality), and
has held up well to adverse dusty conditions very well. If this lens
were an AF-S lens, I would give it a full "5" rating.

Purchased At:   B&H (grey lens)

Similar Products Used:   Nikkor 85/1.8D & 80-200/2.8D ED

Submitted by tcboxer a Intermediate from Williamsport, PA USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent color rend and good sharpness, especially for a portrait. the Defocus allows you to use the lens a f/4 or 5.6 and still "blur" the back ground. I especially like it on a digital so you can "learn" how to use the lens as you go

Weaknesses:    Not overly fast Auto focus or "silent". Nikon should make all their "better" lens ~ any costing over $200 ~ Silent Wave of AF-S (what ever you want to call it). Canon uses USM on almost all their lens

Bottom Line:
A really nice portrait lens. I use it now on my D100 or Kodak 720x. I like it on a digital because I can make minor adjustments on the spot. You have to remember, that most portraits are not "Razor" sharp. If you want Razor Sharp, use the 85mm f/1.4 at F/2.5. Or better yet the 85mm PC tilt/shift ~ very sharp lens
Personally, I like the Defocus control, it just takes practice to learn to master it and understand it.