Home | Reviews | Lenses | 35mm Primes | Nikon

Closest Focusing Distance12 in
    Picture Angle23 - 23 degrees
    MPN1988
    Product ID20723728

This lens adds extra free working distance for multiple lighting techniques. The lens' 105mm focal length makes it suitable for portrait composition, while close-focusing enables detail work. Close-Range Correction System. Focuses from infinity to 12 inches (1:1 reproduction ratio). A-M (Automatic-Manual) switch. Accepts 52mm filters; HS-7 lens hood.

Submitted by roblowephoto a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Bokeh at 2.8-3.5mm, sharp, great colours, very useable focal length. Versatile.

Weaknesses:    A tad pricey, secondhand BUT...value = what it's worth. To me, it's worth it and then some. Every bag should have one of these lenses,

Bottom Line:
A little pricey considering it's second hand status but since owned, never off my camera, which surprised me. Very useful lens distance, sharp, great colour rendition and bokeh at larger apertures and, though heavy, I absolutely do not regret purchasing. Superb lens.

Purchased At:   eB*y

Similar Products Used:   Nikon 50mm f1.8D & 18-200mm VR. D200 & D300.

Submitted by William Kazak a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight. No flare so far with the aux lens shade in place.Very close focus for head shots and body parts and bridal dress details.

Weaknesses:    You don't want to shoot this at F2.8 unless there is no other way.

Bottom Line:
Very hand holdable and usable focal length for people. I chase my family around the house with this on my D70. Works well on film cameras too.F2.8 is great and keeps the barrel circumference down which I like.Macros are no problem at all.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   I have the non auto focus version of this lens which seems slightly sharper than this one.

Submitted by jwenrich a Intermediate from United States

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    105mm!
Multi-purpose
Good quality

Weaknesses:    Weaker AF at close distance in low light
Milky effect through eye piece when photographing agains bright sky.
Plastic body

Bottom Line:
I have only had this lens for a little while, but I am quite satisfied thus far. It is a very nice lens, good quality, but not the best as far as I see. It really is a mult-purpose lens, in that it can be used for macro, portrait and landscape, though it is best for macro. The 1:1 ratio is very nice and I like the ablitily to be farther away than when using a lens of a smaller focal length. One thing that I confirmed that I read in another review is a hazey/milky affect when photographing against a bright sky with my F100. Not sure why this is, but it doesn't show on the images. Another problem is the lens has a hard time focusing in low light, more so with closer object than those that are further away. Go figure, you probably want to us Manual Focus when doing macro work anyway. I know that metal is not always better than plastic, but I sure do like the feel and am a bit disappointed, especially taking into account the expense of the lens.

Purchased At:   eBay